Hickory Never Bleeds

For marketing purposes - I'd go with the suggested alien-bot icon image poster.

Butts in seats.

That's what everyone wants.
Truth and accuracy is an after the fact luxury.
Sad but true.

You've got mad skillz sir and I envy you immensely :)

I like both the posters but if you prefer the first one then that's the one you should go with. I do however like the tagline 'Some of us have seen things' and reckon you could use that on the chosen poster as well as the discarded one.

Regardless, you're going to be a big success and I'm a fan :yes:

Nick: Thanks so much, man! The tagline was actually from one of the teaser clips, which was later made into a song for the film. Heh. :)

I read ur blog. The first is a more accurate representation. I admire you for that. But you see how trailers are made. Accuracy doesnt matter, appeal matters so that more people watch the movie. The second poster is more commercially appealing.

Im not saying one way is right or wrong. Just thought id mention the tradeoff.

For marketing purposes - I'd go with the suggested alien-bot icon image poster.

Butts in seats.

That's what everyone wants.
Truth and accuracy is an after the fact luxury.
Sad but true.

Ernest and Rayw: Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I know where you're coming from. Even had a personal filmmaker friend say the same thing... that the initial one did more for him from a prospective viewer's P.O.V.

I'm just odd in the sense that I'd rather fewer people see it with low expectations and (hopefully) be surprised by the unexpected... than to have a bunch of people see it expecting an action-packed monster film and be disappointed. HA!

If it turns into a word-of-mouth situation, it'll be a nice bonus. :)

I think both posters are excellent. I personally prefer the spooky iron giant one, but I very much understand, and appreciate, your logic on not wanting the poster to be misleading.

My only question, though, is about the pictures of all the cast. I'm not sure I see how it's really beneficial to have them there. To me, the row of pictures is used to show that it's an ensemble cast. That's a great strategy when you have recognizable faces in the ensemble, but when it's a bunch of people that nobody recognizes, I don't really see the benefit. If anything, I kind of think the poster might look better with a cleaner look; it's almost like the extra faces just clutters things up.

Also, I agree with Nick -- the tagline, "Some of us have seen things" is great.

I think both posters are excellent. I personally prefer the spooky iron giant one, but I very much understand, and appreciate, your logic on not wanting the poster to be misleading.

My only question, though, is about the pictures of all the cast. I'm not sure I see how it's really beneficial to have them there. To me, the row of pictures is used to show that it's an ensemble cast. That's a great strategy when you have recognizable faces in the ensemble, but when it's a bunch of people that nobody recognizes, I don't really see the benefit. If anything, I kind of think the poster might look better with a cleaner look; it's almost like the extra faces just clutters things up.

Also, I agree with Nick -- the tagline, "Some of us have seen things" is great.

Hey Cracker!

Well to be honest, the main reason I'm including the cast pictures in the poster is for them.

The film itself is a different story: No intro titles; cold start. It just gets right into it since there are no recognizable names anywhere in this thing. Not even a "Directed By". That's all saved until the end credits.

But as far as the poster... I COULD probably still eliminate the row of pics and the cast would be just as tickled having their names on it. ;)

For a DVD/BD/physical media cover (IF that time comes... whether by self-distribution or otherwise)... it would definitely have a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Hey, if I may, even though I work in no marketing department, I'll vote for the top poster that you're leaning towards. The fact is that I love it. That is freaking awesome and soooooooooo appropriate to the film, as far as I can tell. Will the bottom poster play better in Peoria? I dunno. Screw them, if so, not that the bottome one isn't nice too.

It's easy for me to say so regardless of what works in the marketplace or sells seats or videos, since I'm not responsible, but I thinks it's pretty brilliant, and again, in character, so to speak, going by the clips you have shown us.

And, I like Nick's suggestion to try and incorporate that logline into the topmost poster. Seems like you could fit it in at the top of that poster. Also, I think I like the string of actors' mug shots. I mean, that looks like an important element of your film, so why not sell it? It's honest, and personally, I find it appealing. Not having seen the finished product, it looks like a film along the lines of Best in Show. It's about an ensemble cast. It's about quirky characters. So, why not? I say, go with marketing your film as what it really is, not, as you say, misleading people to think it's a wham-bam alien invasion action spectacular. What happens when people show up for the film and don't get the Iron Giant Alien? I don't think the outcome of that scenario will be good. Hard to say though.

Anyway, your film continues to look brilliant!

Richy, thank you for the feedback!

Also, I think I like the string of actors' mug shots. I mean, that looks like an important element of your film, so why not sell it? It's honest, and personally, I find it appealing. Not having seen the finished product, it looks like a film along the lines of Best in Show. It's about an ensemble cast. It's about quirky characters. So, why not?

It is indeed a mockumentary film, so there will be lots of interview / "talking head" footage throughout. I suppose in that way the actor pics may be somewhat appropriate. Good point there.

Anyway, your film continues to look brilliant!

Thank you, sir! :)

the row of pics guarantees that at least 10 people will buy your movie! :P

Top one works for me
Bottom one works for me

cant you make both?

Thanks

the row of pics guarantees that at least 10 people will buy your movie! :P

Ha ha! I reckon so. ;)

Top one works for me
Bottom one works for me

cant you make both?

Thanks

I was initially going for a single poster, as prints are fairly expensive (around $18/ea. for 18x24 from the print shop I use... and this seems pretty comparable to others) and I wanted to avoid the extra expense of having multiple masters.

BUT... just yesterday I stumbled upon a company that specializes in short run prints. They were really reasonable. In fact, I went ahead and ordered some 18x24 prints (for a little over $4 each) to try them out. If these turn out well... I'm definitely gonna have some variations made.

I'll report back if these guys do a good job, because I'm sure this would be beneficial to other folks here.

Well to be honest, the main reason I'm including the cast pictures in the poster is for them.
To be honest, this poster looks like a "vanity" poster - one that
boosts the ego of those involved in the production. Nothing wrong
with that. In many ways a vanity poster can be terrific - certainly
for those involved in the production.

But it does give that impression so in other ways this is not a good
poster. I suggest losing the pictures for the reasons others have
mentioned and I suggest dropping your name - leaving only the
"written, produced and directed by" credit. You name three times
just screams "vanity production". On my first few movies where I
did everything I either made up names or gave "credit" to other
people who worked on the movie just so my name wasn't all over
the poster. Once your name is a draw then you use it several times.

I like both posters which isn't going to help you decide. The second
one is really mysterious. I don't know why that old cassette recorder
is attached to the tree and it makes me curious. The first one leads
me to an "alien in the woods" conclusion.

BUT... just yesterday I stumbled upon a company that specializes in short run prints. They were really reasonable. In fact, I went ahead and ordered some 18x24 prints (for a little over $4 each) to try them out. If these turn out well...

Would love a report on how the quality is and the name of the company. If you could post it here or PM me, it would be really appreciated.

Having not read the script or anything, the second poster is more visually pleasing to me. Although I don't think either would get me to watch the film, as they both say 'scary' to my mind and I don't do scary movies :/

Nice work, though :)

Would love a report on how the quality is and the name of the company. If you could post it here or PM me, it would be really appreciated.

Ditto.

To be honest, this poster looks like a "vanity" poster - one that
boosts the ego of those involved in the production. Nothing wrong
with that. In many ways a vanity poster can be terrific - certainly
for those involved in the production.

But it does give that impression so in other ways this is not a good
poster. I suggest losing the pictures for the reasons others have
mentioned and I suggest dropping your name - leaving only the
"written, produced and directed by" credit. You name three times
just screams "vanity production". On my first few movies where I
did everything I either made up names or gave "credit" to other
people who worked on the movie just so my name wasn't all over
the poster. Once your name is a draw then you use it several times.

I like both posters which isn't going to help you decide. The second
one is really mysterious. I don't know why that old cassette recorder
is attached to the tree and it makes me curious. The first one leads
me to an "alien in the woods" conclusion.

Directorik: Man, it's good to hear this because I really DON'T want to appear in any way conceited or whatever. Like I said, I'm avoiding intro titles (Frank Ladner Presents... a film by Frank Ladner... in association with... etc.) Heh. Although I recently set up a "production company" I'm tempted to not even include that. I've read lately where it can be viewed as egotistical in indie films.

(Or should I do the "An XYZ production" for the sake of avoiding seeing my name a duplicate time?)

The vanity thing is not what I'm going for, so to think that it may be taken that way makes me want to be careful of this.

The idea of crediting made-up names is pretty cool, actually. I'll probably be doing that a bunch... or maybe just where it concerns me, put it in one line.

Well, you've certainly got me thinking. I appreciate the honest feedback, sir!

The company is ShortRunPosters.com. Like I said, I just ordered a few test prints yesterday, so the verdict is still out on first-hand experience. (Though I did check out some reviews ahead of time: A couple negatives on turnaround but quality is reportedly good for the price.) I'll post back when I receive them.

Having not read the script or anything, the second poster is more visually pleasing to me. Although I don't think either would get me to watch the film, as they both say 'scary' to my mind and I don't do scary movies :/

Nice work, though :)

Thanks for the feedback, Dready!

I'm not a fan of scary movies either. There'll be suspense in parts, and a dose of violence/conflict... but no gore.

I really like the first poster. The second poster is nice (I love the shot of the mountains, but it seems kinda buried under everything else), but it doesn't make me want to run out and see the film. Something (if I didn't already know about the film), I might check out on Netflix if I didn't have anything else to see. The first poster makes me want to see the film, even taking out the fact that I already really, really want to!

I also do like the string of pictures for both the reason richy does, and Cracker doesn't. It LOOKS like it should be a bunch of faces you recognize....but you don't. I find that kinda funny.

My 2 cents, as someone who is both crap with marketing and has weird tastes!

I've already decided that Bernie Lawson is going to find his way into the credits of pretty much everything I do, from here on out. :)

HA! ;)

I really like the first poster. The second poster is nice (I love the shot of the mountains, but it seems kinda buried under everything else), but it doesn't make me want to run out and see the film. Something (if I didn't already know about the film), I might check out on Netflix if I didn't have anything else to see. The first poster makes me want to see the film, even taking out the fact that I already really, really want to!

JoshL: Thanks, man!

I also do like the string of pictures for both the reason richy does, and Cracker doesn't. It LOOKS like it should be a bunch of faces you recognize....but you don't. I find that kinda funny.

Interesting way to look at it. :)

The top poster rocks. As always, nice work Frank.

Not knowing the whole story and how much you want to reveal, my mind started to conjure images of claw marks in the tree bark or some sort of bloody or muddy handprint of sorts on the cassette player, as if some creature tried to get at it.

Then started to wonder about a poster below it or something to that effect. It's taped to the tree but all ripped and torn up; maybe it's a handwritten sign? Could be like a WARNING or PRIVATE PROPERTY sign that's clawed to pieces. Maybe it's a print out of the icon you designed?

Again, not knowing the whole story these ideas might not relate at all.

Just riffing!

Omitting the cast pics would be ideal.

Keep the icon somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing this one. :)

The top poster rocks. As always, nice work Frank.

Not knowing the whole story and how much you want to reveal, my mind started to conjure images of claw marks in the tree bark or some sort of bloody or muddy handprint of sorts on the cassette player, as if some creature tried to get at it.

Then started to wonder about a poster below it or something to that effect. It's taped to the tree but all ripped and torn up; maybe it's a handwritten sign? Could be like a WARNING or PRIVATE PROPERTY sign that's clawed to pieces. Maybe it's a print out of the icon you designed?

Again, not knowing the whole story these ideas might not relate at all.

Just riffing!

Omitting the cast pics would be ideal.

Keep the icon somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing this one. :)

Flicker! Don't know how I missed this! Thanks for the feedback!

I actually made up some weathered, wooden "Monster" / "Warning" signs, which appear in the film. But on a poster would it maybe feel too much like Monsters or District 9? Just thinking out loud. That is another possibility, though.

I've already omitted the cast pictures for the second batch. Though I'm glad I initially got some prints with them on it, as they'll all appreciate having those.

I also removed my name from the cast, so it won't show up three times. Heh! I'd like to only have it on there one time. But I know on these poster deals there's usually something preceding the title. (ie. "a film by" or "an xyz production", etc.)

Hrm...

The "Some of us have seen things" has kinda grown on me. Like I said, it was a bit of a joke but... it's mostly a comedy anyhow, and it goes along with one of the songs written for the film.
My only question now is whether the "SEEN" part of that goes with the visual of an AUDIO recorder. Like, it would make more sense with a camcorder strapped to a tree. Ha!
Or does that even matter?

shortrunposters.com

I received my prints from shortrunposters.com. Overall, I'm satisfied with the quality, especially considering the price of $4.97 each. (As a comparison, I was looking at paying $18 each from the supplier we use for business stuff.)

They are quite matte if you go with the standard (non-coated) option, but the print itself is very clear. Of course, supplying a high-res image is key here. But I don't notice any bleeding or smeary stuff going on. There's clear contrast/separation of the thin dark gray text against the black background.

One thing I'll point out: You can actually get these prints for $2.97 each if you use their "Branded" option. You're essentially saving $2/ea. by letting them add their logo to the back of your poster. In hindsight, I'm not sure why I elected to not go that route, because I only see it being an issue if you were perhaps re-selling the posters or something and didn't want their name on the back.

The only other caveat is their posters automatically have a half-inch white border all the way around. So the physical poster is 18x24 but the printed area is 17x23. This may not be an issue but I felt it should be mentioned.

I'm getting ready to order a few more prints of my revised (non-cast/crew) poster. This time, I'll let them add their logo to the back, but I'll go with the "1.5 Mil Glossy" option (+$2/ea.)... which basically cancel each other out and put it at the original $4.97 I paid before.

I'll let you fellas know how them glossy ones turn out. ;)

Back