Hickory Never Bleeds

Ha ha! Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

Flicker: I recently found my two old Jaw Harps, AND purchased an old bass harmonica. Those and the banjo will make up the primary ingredients of my soundtrack. :) Nothing fancy, mind you...

But YEAH... having a little jaw harp pluck at the end with the banjo is a pretty good idea! Thanks! :)

Oh damn, I LOVE Flicker's idea! I think I would take a more subtle approach, though. The dude releases one kamikaze goat, and nothing happens. Then, later in the movie, during an interview with a different person, we hear, from the distance, "bahhhh", BOOM! No comments on it, just a confused look on the interviewee's face.

My favorite line in this clip is "there's no dress-rehearsal for a kamikaze goat". :lol:

Yeah, I gotta say... Flicker's unexpected-exploding-goat idea is pretty clever. The more I think about it, the more I like it. And it would be easy to implement, being off screen and all. LOL!

Now to decide if it should be a running gag, or - as Cracker Funk suggested - a more subtle once-only type of thing. Hrm...

:)

Depends upon the over all tone or if you need comic relief at discretionary points.
I haven't the foggiest how tension-ridden THNB is supposed to be.
THREE KINGS had lotsa intense drama and lotsa dark comedy, as well.

This is GREAT! I'm loving your cast!! So refreshing to see a group of characters/actors over the age of 40 (thereabouts) who are fun to watch and delivering solid performances.

Very funny, Frank. The improv is working and the concept of a kamikaze goat is fucking brilliant. -- But I hope he doesn't implement it! Of course that would make for an awesome off-camera moment. We see the goat walk into the woods, disappear, we cut back to the guy talking and talking and maybe we forget that the goat is even gone, then at the perfect moment we hear a huge explosion off camera. :)
[/SPOILER]

Oh yeah! And...maybe, a little bit of a slightly shaky cam as it pans to see something like the typical plume of smoke rising up from the woods like the typical plume of smoke from a helicopter crash in the typical helicopter crash movie. :P

You rock, Franklad. =)

Oh damn, I LOVE Flicker's idea! I think I would take a more subtle approach, though. The dude releases one kamikaze goat, and nothing happens. Then, later in the movie, during an interview with a different person, we hear, from the distance, "bahhhh", BOOM! No comments on it, just a confused look on the interviewee's face.

Yes, this! With as much time between the two as possible!
Obligatory TVTropes link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrickJoke

And you could play with that futher too...when the goat explodes, one person is confused, but another looks bored...because that sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME!

Ha ha! Good stuff, guys. Thank you all for the steady encouragement!

The goat thing is pretty much a definite in my mind. LOL! The distant smoke plume is a good idea. I'd like to play a fairly loud/realistic explosion for the talent to react to (instead of the standard vocal "bang" or "boom").

At this point, I'm giving thought to the prop that would be strapped to the goat. I would much rather a practical than to have to track something on in post. It would essentially be as harmless as putting a hat on them, so I don't see where I would catch any flak from animal rights people. (But... folks are so sensitive nowadays, so there's no telling.)

Last edited:
at the very end of the film, like last shot (Pricilla Queen of the Desert style) the last remaining kamikaze goat wanders into the center of an Al Qaeda terrorist group (like in the desert somewhere) who are planning a huge terrorist attack. They all look at each other like "Mmm... dinner." and then... KABOOMIKAZE!

heh heh... ok, that's a stretch, but I just love where you're going with this film, Frank. :)

plumes of smoke in the distance could be fun. it's all clay!

HA HA HA!

Well it IS mostly comedic. But, yeah...

LOL!

OR... it could be along the same lines, just in a not-so-distant location. Something after the credits.

Here's a short scene from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKABQu-vlFM

Shot using two cameras: One handheld and one on tripod near the target.
Rifle audio captured on-site.

I may add a little foley to the final version. (ie. target hits and a bit of rifle handling noise)

This is the character I play in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKsUvbdgUQ

I'd appreciate any feedback in terms of technical aspects (sound, grading, etc.) as well as on the performance.

Thanks!

Technical opinions:

- Although the foreground is lit perfectly, the background needs a skosh more lighting.

(Assuming you're aiming for generally accepted contemporary framing standards.)
- Stick to the rule of thirds.
- Subject a little more to the right, not dead-centered. There's nothing going on in the right half of the screen.
- Subject a little higher bringing more interesting hands into the shot + a little less uninteresting dead space overhead.
- Maybe zoom in a little closer
- That's a long take to put in a final product, nice, but break it up in editing with a variety other shot positions.

- The DP's handheld is fine; better than most. Shoulder mount?

- Audio is fine.

- Your performance is fine.

Looks very promising, IMHO. :yes:

haha. "mental interiors"

pretty good, Frank. more serious than the other clips. maybe that helps even out the narrative.

was your character at one point using the fork to eat something? might be fun to be eating something messy or ridiculous while giving the interview, like BBQ or spaghetti. Slurping and munching while telling the story. Motivates the fork use a bit and gives your character something to do. could be drinking some milk or juice, too. pick your teeth with the fork.

just a thought.

I don't think I want to watch anymore clips! want to wait and see them all strung together in the final piece. :)

Back