Hickory Never Bleeds

Thank you, Nick!

I do indeed remember the old posts about this concept and your recommendation. Though D9 is far and beyond what I could've hoped to accomplish with this little film. Ha! Still, it was inspirational and after cutting my teeth on this project, I kinda want to do another one in a similar style. (I've learned a lot in the process. :) )

EDIT: Please explain to me why it's called 'Hickory Never Bleeds'? Thanks ;)

Well, the lead character refers to things his dad (who passed away) would tell him, and one of them is that particular phrase. There's a point near the film's climax when the character is debating what it actually meant. One explanation is humorous, the other slightly more serious and connected to the film's outcome.

Though admittedly not the most profound title; I could've named it almost anything else. ;)

The idea crossed my mind to name it after the town, but as I was already drawing inspiration from "Vernon, Florida" - I didn't want to go that route. Heh.

Oh yeahhhhhh!

I think it's a pretty great and intriguing title, whether it has a sensible explanation or not. But as you've described, sounds great and authentic to the content.

In a way, it would be sort of a shame to have to bother changing that opening. Except, as Ray brought up, it is a bit troubling for the viewer in those first moments before it becomes clear what's going on. And, once it does become clear, mucho kudos for handling and intercutting the audio and video so artfully and so well.

Looking good. =)

Outtakes and Extras

Just for fun, here are some Outtakes and Extras from the filming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPEMPWyFvyQ

:)

We had the premiere of Hickory Never Bleeds this past weekend. It was a local screening, so almost everyone from the cast was able to make it, and many of their family and close friends were in attendance. There were also plenty of people I'd never met, some of whom drove quite a distance. Others came from nearby towns because they'd seen it in one of the papers (the P.R. person associated with the college where I showed the film did a tremendous job) or caught the little news interview we did for the film.

We had around 275 the premiere night, and nearly a couple hundred for the encore. I was very pleasantly surprised, and I still haven't gotten over the amount of enthusiasm shown after the film. It was quite overwhelming.

premierenight.jpg

(I was initially nervous about echo, but having a full room helped dampen the sound.)

Congratulations Frank!

Now you need to start getting a little bit cockier because this movie looks awesome and you can do so much with it! :yes:

THAT is too cool.

Well... ?!!!
How'd they like it?
Wha'd they say?
Spill some beans, man! :yes:

Oh, sorry. LOL! Lots of laughter throughout, clapping during a few scenes, standing ovation at the end, really enthusiastic comments and lots of "How can I buy this?" after it was over. Like I said... pretty overwhelming to me. :)

I was glad to have some strangers there for objective feedback (ie. not related to me or anyone in the film), but they seemed just as delighted about the film as family/friends. Though of course, the environment was pretty electric or whatever so I'm sure that added to the whole viewing experience.

There are some problem areas I'm painfully aware of, which nobody at the screenings seemed to notice or - once I mentioned them - care about.

How will it do in a festival screening? What would you indieTalk guys think about it? I have no idea. LOL!

Approx. how many fests do you plan to submit it to? And would I be correct to assume that you want to give it a run in fests, before seeking distribution?

Congrats, Frank! I knew you all would have a great time. :)
Yeah, man. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better.

'Grats on awesome premiere :cool:
Thank you, sir! :)

Congratulations Frank!

Now you need to start getting a little bit cockier because this movie looks awesome and you can do so much with it! :yes:

Ha! Thanks, man! Though I'm still honestly not sure how the film will be taken in the grand scheme of things.

Approx. how many fests do you plan to submit it to? And would I be correct to assume that you want to give it a run in fests, before seeking distribution?

So far I've submitted to three Mississippi fests.

I've also submitted to Sundance... with nearly 100% confidence it will not be accepted. I had a handful of people twist my arm about it so - as dumb as it sounds - I sent it off to prove a point, and not have to listen to "You should've sent it!" :D ((AND... if by some small chance it is accepted... that would be a huge bonus.))

There's a bit in the film about people being able to defend themselves (ie. guns)... which was filmed at the end of last year, before it was quite as hot of an issue. So it sounds really topical and - though I'm not trying to - some may take it as some kind of political statement.

I'm toying with the idea of submitting it to Berlin. I've been told those guys get a kick out of this sort of thing, (ie. southern American characters) though I'm fairly sure subtitles will be required. ;)

EDIT:

In regards to distribution, I believe the typical thing to do is make the festival rounds first to see who might pick it up. But I've had conversations with a couple of indie folks who have distro deals and I'm really leaning toward self-distribution. I'm looking at festivals as a way to hopefully help build some awareness.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Glad that you wrapped it up, and glad that people enjoyed it! Best of luck with the festival run. As you said, Sundance is a long shot for anyone, but we've got our fingers crossed for you!

I definitely think it's a good idea to submit to fests nearby, ones that you're more likely to be able to attend. If I remember correctly, Nashville Film Fest is pretty darn big, and they shouldn't be too far of a drive from you.

And from the bigger fests, I really think SXSW might dig the quirkiness of your film. Ditto that for Slamdance. I wouldn't know, cuz they both rejected me. :lol: But I think you've got enough of a chance that it wouldn't be wasted money.

Back