Hickory Never Bleeds

Thanks a lot, Rayw! The feedback helps!

There may not be much I can do in terms of framing at this point, but some isolated color grading may help some of the darkness issues.

The film will involve lots of talking like this, but I've grabbed much b-roll/inserts to cut to because I totally agree about breaking it up for visual interest. Also got lots of room tone with the intentions of spacing out what the character is saying (ie. insert room tone in a natural break in dialog while showing a cutaway, etc.)

You're correct about it being shoulder-held. My wife was actually running camera on this shot. :)

Thanks again!

Give her a raise.
Whatever you're paying her ain't enough!

(More than... cough, cough... "film credit", I hope.) ;)

was your character at one point using the fork to eat something? might be fun to be eating something messy or ridiculous while giving the interview, like BBQ or spaghetti. Slurping and munching while telling the story. Motivates the fork use a bit and gives your character something to do. could be drinking some milk or juice, too. pick your teeth with the fork.
Flick, you're on a roll this mornin'!
Another capital "i-deer!"

To add a bit of audience tension A) just have a little dribble of something in your beard, and B) don't actually eat anything; just keep it on the tip of the fork where you come reeeeeal close to biting/eating it off... but you repeatedly pull back at the last second to say something... again!... and again!... and again!... and...

Again! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDhyiAU7-Y

Last edited:
haha. "mental interiors"

pretty good, Frank. more serious than the other clips. maybe that helps even out the narrative.

was your character at one point using the fork to eat something? might be fun to be eating something messy or ridiculous while giving the interview, like BBQ or spaghetti. Slurping and munching while telling the story. Motivates the fork use a bit and gives your character something to do. could be drinking some milk or juice, too. pick your teeth with the fork.

just a thought.

I don't think I want to watch anymore clips! want to wait and see them all strung together in the final piece. :)

Ha ha! Thanks, Flicker!

He's actually eating ramen noodles (which he removes from an ammo box). He gives this spiel early on in the film about only using half the sodium packet, etc. ("You've got to go sometime, but I'll be danged if it's from sodium consumption.") Played for humor but to subtly underscore that his mind is on leaving this earth. And there are shots of him eating, etc. It does help the scene feel a bit more natural.

Give her a raise.
Whatever you're paying her ain't enough!

(More than... cough, cough... "film credit", I hope.) ;)

Flick, you're on a roll this mornin'!
Another capital "i-deer!"

To add a bit of audience tension A) just have a little dribble of something in your beard, and B) don't actually eat anything; just keep it on the tip of the fork where you come reeeeeal close to biting/eating it off... but you repeatedly pull back at the last second to say something... again!... and again!... and again!... and...

Again! :lol:

HA HA! She's fantastic, no doubt. Not only in helping run camera and/or sound, but in steadfast moral support... 'cuz I'm rather easily discouraged. I'll tell her an IndieTalk pro suggested a raise is in order. She'll get a kick out of it! :)

I like that idea, though the ramen noodle stuff has been shot. That kind of tension bugs me (ie. it's effective).

This is developing so nicely. Im honestly looking forward to seeing the final film.

Left you a couple of comments on vimeo.

Thanks, man!

I'm aiming for a June/July completion, but hoping the rough editing as I go allows me to pull it off before then. Much of the work is in the effects shots and foley. There's also the soundtrack that I've got to record.

I appreciate the comments and encouragement!

I wanted to give an update on the progress of Hickory Never Bleeds...

As of right now, I've got close to a finished hour of the movie put together. (Going for 1:30)

It's kinda hard to believe... that I'm getting close to completion on a feature-length film.

Having never really put out a proper SHORT film, I honestly didn't believe I'd do this.

At this point I'm dealing with the whole "something's gonna happen to prevent it" thoughts nagging me, but overall I'm feeling super positive.

Thank you guys for the feedback and encouragement along the way, from back when it was just a concept, up 'til I started putting out those teasers and stuff. I appreciate it, fellas!

Movies I'm most looking forward to seeing this year (in no particular order):

Snow White and the Huntsman
Prometheus
Brave
The Amazing Spiderman
Dark Knight Rises
The Campaign
Total Recall
Skyfall
Red Dawn
The Hobbit
This is 40
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Hickory Never Bleeds

You're in good company, sir.

AWESOME! Great to hear, Frank. Keep going!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

WOHO! You are an animal!
HA HA! Thank you, Wheat!

Movies I'm most looking forward to seeing this year (in no particular order):

Snow White and the Huntsman
Prometheus
Brave
The Amazing Spiderman
Dark Knight Rises
The Campaign
Total Recall
Skyfall
Red Dawn
The Hobbit
This is 40
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Hickory Never Bleeds

You're in good company, sir.

Wow, man. I don't even know what to say. If you're not totally pulling my leg here (ha ha!) ... THANK YOU!

:)

If you're not totally pulling my leg here (ha ha!) ...

No way, man. As for my personal entertainment purposes, I tend to be a Hollywood blockbuster kinda guy (mostly). But I think your project has potential to be one of the breakthrough success-stories from little-guys like us. :)

Took a break recently to work on some of the "fun stuff" associated with the film. One of the more enjoyable parts for me is designing the poster.

Here's the one I'm currently leaning toward having printed:

poster_for_blog_large1.jpg

This is the first design:
poster_01_small.jpg

A bit of background on why I picked the first over the second:
http://www.hickoryneverbleeds.com/blog/

You've got mad skillz sir and I envy you immensely :)

I like both the posters but if you prefer the first one then that's the one you should go with. I do however like the tagline 'Some of us have seen things' and reckon you could use that on the chosen poster as well as the discarded one.

Regardless, you're going to be a big success and I'm a fan :yes:

I read ur blog. The first is a more accurate representation. I admire you for that. But you see how trailers are made. Accuracy doesnt matter, appeal matters so that more people watch the movie. The second poster is more commercially appealing.

Im not saying one way is right or wrong. Just thought id mention the tradeoff.

Back