Hickory Never Bleeds

Yeah, I liked Monsters quite a bit and thought Gareth Edwards' decisions were spot on just fine.
More stuff wouldn't have made it a better story.
I think those complaining were perhaps misled by the title and thought they were signing up for a Godzilla "Destroy All Monsters" creature-fest, but... er... no. No, it was considerably more subtle than that.
It was a relationship drama - with "some" monsters in it, just like Battle:L.A. was a war flick - with "some" aliens in it.

Get over it folks.
Do your homework before going to see a movie, you buncha Humpty-dumps.

I'd rather see a few well done effects, in camera practical or post, rather than a healthy amount of SciFi channel feature crap-fest.
Even my little kids won't watch Giant Shark vs. Mega Octopus. It's just too stupid between the too much person drama and the cr@ppy effects.

Don't go there with your story. Please. ;)

Thanks, Papertwin!

I've got more ready but will release over the next couple months.

Planning to shoot enough for the original feature, but considering releasing a short that will tie in as a prelude.

Cosmi-kasi goats with explosions on their heads.

It's gold.
Love it.

Do you script these things or just let these folks ad-lib a fair bit?

It was one of those fun moments where I'm trying not to snicker as he's talking.
Yeah, I was wondering about that.
Lord knows I woulda been.

Last edited:
Cosmi-kasi goats with explosions on their heads.

It's gold.
Love it.

Do you script these things or just let these folks ad-lib a fair bit?

Thank you!

I give some rough notes (ie. "This is basically what's going on...") and might offer some example dialog, but it's mostly ad-lib.

He came out of nowhere with that line. It was one of those fun moments where I'm trying not to snicker as he's talking.

This is GREAT! I'm loving your cast!! So refreshing to see a group of characters/actors over the age of 40 (thereabouts) who are fun to watch and delivering solid performances.

Very funny, Frank. The improv is working and the concept of a kamikaze goat is fucking brilliant. -- But I hope he doesn't implement it! Of course that would make for an awesome off-camera moment. We see the goat walk into the woods, disappear, we cut back to the guy talking and talking and maybe we forget that the goat is even gone, then at the perfect moment we hear a huge explosion off camera. :)

haha. can't help but riff on this stuff b/c the subject matter inspires. fun.

* btw - have you tried adding one note from a mouth harp (jaw harp, Jew's harp) under the end title? just a thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Munniharppu_ääninäyte.ogg

or maybe he releases an army of goats into the woods and after a while nothing happens so we assume the bombs are all duds, but then throughout the film we hear an explosion from time to time, while you're interviewing other characters and doing other things. Then people get pissed off about the guys Kamikaze Goat Army... "God damn Gary and his goats. What the hell was he thinking?"

Last edited:
Back