Hickory Never Bleeds

wow, fantastic resource, I can make just ONE poster if so inclined.. so it makes sense to order a few proofs based on different resolutions \ etc..

EDIT: They get you on shipping, if your ordering just one its $15 shipping to me.. Though its only $15 shipping if I order 10!
Compared to the Wallgreens photo posters at $22 EACH plus shipping!

all in all its remains a great resource.

Last edited:
wow, fantastic resource, I can make just ONE poster if so inclined.. so it makes sense to order a few proofs based on different resolutions \ etc..

EDIT: They get you on shipping, if your ordering just one its $15 shipping to me.. Though its only $15 shipping if I order 10!
Compared to the Wallgreens photo posters at $22 EACH plus shipping!

all in all its remains a great resource.

Very good point, Wheat! The shipping is such that you'll want to get a handful when you order. I got 10 of the first batch.

I've completed the rough-cut of Hickory Never Bleeds. Woo hoo!

Kinda hard to believe the final product is this close to being finished.

It may sound laughable to some, but simply showing the film to a little focus group today was almost surreal for me. Seeing it projected on a large screen only added to the effect. Heh.

I was a bit nervous, as it was the first time anyone other than myself or my wife has seen it. So I go into it with all these thoughts of whether or not the story will even make sense, is there enough action, will they dig the documentary style, etc, etc. They absolutely enjoyed it, and I'm thrilled!

There are a few minor technical bits to iron out, but it's essentially complete.

Hoping to screen it here in our local theater, and submit to a nearby festival or two.

Oh... and I suppose it would help if I put together a trailer for the film. Ha!

Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement and advice along the way!

That's great news, Frank! I'm very excited for you.

And please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, allow me to cut the trailer. You need fresh eyes, and somebody who knows how to whittle a giant story down to the barest of elements. I'm that guy! :)

Show me a Hollywood director who edits their own trailer, and I'll show you authentic footage of Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy riding the Loch Ness Monster.

Congrats, Frank!

When do we get to see it?

Thank you, Ernest!

After the local screening(s) I'm hoping to do a little self-distribution of some form. I'm not up to speed on what avenues are available for instant viewing and all, so I've got some research to do here. I'm open to suggestions in this regard.

That's great news, Frank! I'm very excited for you.

And please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, allow me to cut the trailer. You need fresh eyes, and somebody who knows how to whittle a giant story down to the barest of elements. I'm that guy! :)

Show me a Hollywood director who edits their own trailer, and I'll show you authentic footage of Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy riding the Loch Ness Monster.

Thank you! :D

You're so dang generous, man! But the trailer has got to be one of the funnest parts of the process!
Ha! Kinda like making the poster or whatever. I honestly have no doubt you'd do a fantastic job, as I've seen your editing. But I've already given thought to how I'm not gonna show the creature or either of the two explosions so people will have low expectations. ;)

Good news, Frank! And consider me marching in the parade of I wanna see your film too!

I wonder what it costs and how it works to get it on Amazon streaming. I think more than one person here has their film there. Maybe they can help guide you through that.

Last edited:
That looks pretty darn good.

I don't know about the "fuzzy" sounding Channel 27 News audio beginning the trailer, but after that it's fine.

Just a single FX monster scene, if there are any, near the end would be cherry, IMHO.

For what it's worth, I actually like the shots with the Channel 27 News.

I am very eager to see this movie. :yes:
Nah, the shots are fine, the audio is appropriate and fine.
I just don't know about STARTING with that.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!

rayw: I'm wondering if it would have helped to maybe start with a tv screen of the newscaster and fuzzy audio, instead of the low-fi audio playing over a "clean" image... to sorta clarify "this audio is poor because it's from a recorded news clip".

As always, I value the constructive feedback!

Frank, this looks fantastic. In the world of indie films and projects that've developed on this forum, this is straight out of the top drawer :yes:

I think your own suggestion (in the post above) is a good one. I can see the trailer starting with the crackle of TV static or lines of VHS and then starting off with some of the newsreel footage. But the whole thing looks great: acting, music, editing, cinematography...etc.

I (think I) remember when you were researching this project and I recommended that you watch District 9 for that mockumentary feel- well, you've definitely nailed that look and I'm really excited for the end product.

:clap:

EDIT: Please explain to me why it's called 'Hickory Never Bleeds'? Thanks ;)

Back