What's your dayjob?

Hey all,

I'm kind of new around these parts, I think I've had an account for a while and made a few posts but haven't kept up for long.

I'm sure there's an introduction thread around here, and Ill go post in that so I dont bore you in this thread.

But onto the main question, what is your dayjob? I'm curious what others do to pay the bills while working towards their careers as film makers? Are you working in a job that can position you to meet your career goals or are you just working a job for money while writing/producing

I'm very lucky to make a living in this business. For the most part, this is my day job, educational films, documentaries for local historical groups, k12 educational pieces for classroom use, professional development pieces, some web ad stuff, some weddings. Gives me freedom to work on an independent narrative now and then.

Weddings is where the money's at.

Also, what a kick it would be to be the sound mixer for something like the Late Show or NBA on TNT.

Vampire.

Work for the American Red Cross, Blood Services Division in Michigan.

I set up and run blood drives across the state.

I vant yooor blooooood....

I was a technical director at a television station. Then I quit to pursue filmmaking. So what that means is that I am jobhunting.

-- spinner :cool:

Professional Engineer - Research & Develop and Intellectual Property

Its like making movies, but then you patent things (vs. copyright)

I work in HMV, mainly on the DVD section. It pays the rent and bills (barely), but as said, retail does give me a fair amount of time to write and think.

I'm an office monkey at Brown University, and all of my other free time goes to film (either acting or crewing).

My best job was from 85 - 95 stage manager at Arena Players Theatre on LI. The next best was Admin Asst at Jhane Barnes a high-end menswear designer for 5 years. It's been DOWN HILL from there.

I've never had a problem getting a decent office position. I'm now working for less then half my normal salary, and my normal salary wasn't anything to write home about.

At the moment I am a sales rep (I'm gagging) for a authorized retailer of all major cable companies. This is one step below a three card monte shark on the streets of NY. Yes the word "Below" is correct. Just shoot me now.

STAY IN SCHOOL, GET AN EDUCATION in ANYTHING that can earn you some sort of living. Don't travel my path.

I didn't go to college and I have a well paying job - doesn't anyone see my avatar? :)

EDIT: I went to a semester of college, decided it was lame, and pursued my dream job and got it.

Back