Round 3 - Rules & Details (Please Read)

Zensteve said:
Indie Talk's Online Original Film Competition - Round 3

[

What Is The Appropriate Online Viewing Format?

For films shot on mini-dv (720x480), reduce to half size.

That means 360x240, for the math-impaired.

There is an allotted 25MB hosting per film. For a full 5-minute film, that is 5MB per minute. Here are some codec suggestions to make it fit.

VIDEO

Sorenson 3
MP4

AUDIO

Q-Design 2

Quality % can be set to 100 for both audio and video.
Setting the BPS between 60 to 80.
Setting a keyframe every 15 frames.

Depending on suggested video codec(s) (and BPS setting) you can compress as low as 1MB per minute, to as high as 5MB per minute.

Also, all the above codecs are included in the basic install of Quicktime for end-users... which means everyone will be able to see/hear them.

If your submission is an .swf or similar, please set the stage at 360x240. (And e-mail or PM Indie or Poke any funky embedding options)

PDF version of rules and requirements.

I was able to get it under 25 mb, but when I play it the sound is bad (echo as if the speakers are in a tin box) and the video is all pixelated. Are there any other ways to compress and not lose so much?

Thanks,

Chris

From your post I'm assuming that you tried the settings suggested above? What program are you using to render? Is the audio problem in the original footage as well or just the compressed file?

I'm taking part in the competition as well so this might not be acceptable, but I could try compressing the footage on my system if you would like (and it's acceptable to the judges). I have access to both Sorenson Squeeze and CinemaCraft encoder, both of which can compress footage remarkably well. Certainly better than any NLE I am familiar with.

Shaw said:
From your post I'm assuming that you tried the settings suggested above? What program are you using to render? Is the audio problem in the original footage as well or just the compressed file?

I'm taking part in the competition as well so this might not be acceptable, but I could try compressing the footage on my system if you would like (and it's acceptable to the judges). I have access to both Sorenson Squeeze and CinemaCraft encoder, both of which can compress footage remarkably well. Certainly better than any NLE I am familiar with.

I used adobe premier pro 1.5. The sound was good in the 256 mb version. I used Sorenson Squeeze but I only got audio (only the second time that I've used it. I'm "squeezing" again, so we'll see). I'm just wondering if there are other settings that could work. I'm not very up to date on the compression stuff.

And thanks for the offer. I still have a week to go so I'll keep trying.

Chris

I got it. I don't know what the problem was but maybe it was that it was in QuickTime.

Anyway, thanks again Shaw for the offer...and good luck to you too!

Chris

!!!Entrants!!!

We've had a few submissions trickle in, and if you have your entry uploaded, by all means, send us the link. A reminder: do not post the link in the main forum until I or Indie advises you to do so.

Poke

Team Weasel is all filmed... having the hardest time editing for some reason, though. Must be jitters. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. :yes:

Scheduled to shoot the bulk of the footage this afternoon.

Darn good thing it's raining or I might have been tempted to postpone shooting and go out for a spin on the motorcycle.

Still having trouble casting one crucial role, though... what a pain in the... ummm... neck. But hey, I'm building up great brownie points with the actresses I've talked to. "No, no... you're much to young and sweet to pass as a crabby old 50-ish mother!"

Zensteve said:
Team Weasel is all filmed... having the hardest time editing for some reason, though. Must be jitters. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. :yes:

Stop being nice and modest Zen or you're going to ruin the "Crap" I call a short!!

I was going to shoot a dramatic short (cut down a 30 page script to a 5 minute short!), but that would have been a lot of acting work. A lot of Directing and filming. I just couldn't pony up and get it done.

But I said that I would enter, so I banged out a script for the audience (it's a goofy comedy). Shot it in two days, edited it in a couple of days, and it is now safely hidden on my website, ready to be linked.

Looking forward to seeing everyone elses. Good luck to all (except Zen :lol: ).

Chris

you're much to young and sweet to pass as a crabby old 50-ish mother!

Might be time to bite the bullet and see how you look in a wig and lipstick, Steve. :P

You want to start a thread in Tech or something, about those lights you made? They sound pretty interesting. Piccies good.

Good luck to all (except Zen :lol: )

Moe: "Aww! A wise guy, eh?"

<Insert eyepoke, followed by windmill bonk to the head>

Chris, if you were using Prem Pro to compress with, I hope you took a look at the Encoder wizard that came with that. The latest WMV pre-settings are very good at squishing both video & audio to an appropriate level for this comp. There are QT presets as well that may work better for you, than doing a manual export with the suggested codecs and twiddling about with them.

Cue the music from The Crying Game.

You're not even entering, but I think you may still have a shot at winning the Best Taunt Prize :lol:

_______

Spatula... please try and at least pretend to panic a little... it will make the rest of us feel a little better. :)

Less than a week to go!

It's not too late to join in, for anyone following this thread. I helped one person with an entry just the other day, with a story written in 20 minutes and filmed in 90 minutes.

This is your chance to stop talking about doing it... and do it! :cool:

AHHHHHHH!
AHHHHH!
AHH!
I'm PANICKING!!!!!
PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!

(that good Zen??? :D )

Actually... not too far from the truth... near the end Premiere was crashing after every render... I had to submit a thumbnail-sized version :no: , but I just fixed the problem with computer sorcery (system restore) and I'm hoping I can re-submit the larger file size...

Poke? Is that couth?

-Logan-

Poke said:
PS No SPaul, as creative as that would be, we need the majority of the film in B&W.

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying!

A big sigh of relief this morning... we wrapped up shooting in about four hours yesterday. Preparation does come in handy after all, who would have thought?

Editing and scoring is going to be the tricky part. I'm heading out of town two days this week, it's going to be a tight deadline - there's a LOT of editing to do.

I don't want to scare anyone (except maybe Zen) but I called in an Indie filmmaking heavyweight to finish this project. Michael Legge, one of the truly great B-movie writers/directors/actors came to the rescue!

Oh yeah... how long is the judging period? I want to schedule time to write my acceptance speech. :lol:

Zensteve said:
Moe: "Aww! A wise guy, eh?"

<Insert eyepoke, followed by windmill bonk to the head>

Chris, if you were using Prem Pro to compress with, I hope you took a look at the Encoder wizard that came with that. The latest WMV pre-settings are very good at squishing both video & audio to an appropriate level for this comp. There are QT presets as well that may work better for you, than doing a manual export with the suggested codecs and twiddling about with them.

I think that the Encoder wizard is on/with adobe's Encore. I don't have that, but am thinking it might be something I need!! :)

I ended up getting it as a wmv file. It's always something isn't it? Thanks for the help anyway!

Chris

SPaulovich said:
I don't want to scare anyone (except maybe Zen) but I called in an Indie filmmaking heavyweight to finish this project. Michael Legge, one of the truly great B-movie writers/directors/actors came to the rescue!

Cool. :pop:

SPaulovich said:
Oh yeah... how long is the judging period? I want to schedule time to write my acceptance speech. :lol:

The judging period is two weeks. It ends May 14th, the same day as the Pop Vote. Barring any unforseen difficulties, I will announce the Judges Selection and Best Score on Sunday the 15th.

Poke

Back