Round 3 - Rules & Details (Please Read)

Ciboa: Prem Pro definitely has the encoder.

File >> Export >> Adobe Media Encoder. :)

_______

Spaul, you sure are lucky to have contacts like that!

Get that crashing Windows figured out, Spatula?

Oh... and it's supposed to be "fear", not farir, Lenny. :lol:

Yes I did, there, Zen!!
It was a simple matter of me persistently and patiently saving, allowing a crash, restoring the system, and trying again. Eventually, it worked!

!!!Big News!!!!

I have had something come up on Saturday, and I will be out of town pretty much all that day. That, coupled with the fact that we have a few members coming down to the wire with their projects, has prompted me to EXTEND THE DEADLINE BY 24 HOURS!!!!

This means that the Deadline is now Sunday May 1, 2005 at 5PM PDT! In addition, judging will be extended 24 hours, so the judging will last until Sunday May 15, 2005 at 5PM PDT. Winners will be announced by Monday the 16th.

Now, for all of you members that have worked hard to get your project done in time, I want to reward you. So, all members that have PMed me or Indie with their uploaded film by 5PM PDT Saturday April 30th will recieve 1 Bonus Point. Don't try to trick us, we have ways of figuring out the time -- it's called math.

Sorry about the big change at the last second, but I have pressing matters that can not be changed.

Good Luck Everyone!
Poke

Poke said:
!!!Big News!!!!

I have had something come up on Saturday, and I will be out of town pretty much all that day. That, coupled with the fact that we have a few members coming down to the wire with their projects, has prompted me to EXTEND THE DEADLINE BY 24 HOURS!!!!

This means that the Deadline is now Sunday May 1, 2005 at 5PM PDT! In addition, judging will be extended 24 hours, so the judging will last until Sunday May 15, 2005 at 5PM PDT. Winners will be announced by Monday the 16th.

Now, for all of you members that have worked hard to get your project done in time, I want to reward you. So, all members that have PMed me or Indie with their uploaded film by 5PM PDT Saturday April 30th will recieve 1 Bonus Point. Don't try to trick us, we have ways of figuring out the time -- it's called math.

Sorry about the big change at the last second, but I have pressing matters that can not be changed.

Good Luck Everyone!
Poke

Does that mean no posting until Sunday? Or will the posting start Saturday?

Chris

Oh one more question if I may Mr. Poke. Does the 5min runtime include closing credits? I'm assuming so but thought I would check.

Again, just a reminder, get those entries PMed to me or Indie by 5pm pdt today to get that Early Bird Bonus. I'll be back tomorrow, and we'll get this thing kick started!

Poke

Uploaded a few minutes ago.

Gah! I'm going to use the last hour to see if I can tweak anything. (This film will need all the help it can get) :no:

Nope :(. I'm really quite disappointed. Seems I took on too much effects work this time though (effects necessary for the plot not just for the sake of being flashy). I'll get it done though and post - even if it can't be entered in the contest!

Here are some screen grabs of a few effects shots though (fwiw):

effect.jpg

effect1.jpg

effect3.jpg

Dang Shaw! That looks really sweet... you had BETTER finish and upload that sucker here- I'm looking forward to it!
Is it post apocalyptic? What kind of camera are you using? The quality looks very nice!

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to post when it's finished enough to make some sense. I was up for 10 hours straight trying to get the AE tracking function to work correctly but to no avail. Ah well. Next time I'm not going to have any effects! I've missed three I'm not missing the fourth! I could write up pages about all the walls that we have had to cross but I'll spare you guys the gory details :D

The weather wasn't too bad actually. We hiked for a good 10 miles of so to get to some of the locations used. One shot was at the peak of a mountain which meant a nice, steep, dangerous climb. Very little of the footage turned out ok though :(. I was actually the one acting (yeah I'm a dork - it's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living acting!) because I had people pull out on my last second. One of these days I'll learn that procrastination is a bad thing!

I'm seriously in need of a haircut and I hadn't shaved for a few days (worked out nicely considering the topic actually) but it came out ok. I wanted to shoot the footage myself but since I was acting I had to hand the camera off to my brother (whilst I directed him in its use and shot setup etc). He did a great job for being his first time using that darn thing!

We used the DVX100A Spatula :). I shot in squeeze mode and then cropped to a 2.35 aspect ratio. Sadly, that means I used less than half the resolution the camera is capable of but I just love the 2.35 look! Not post apocalyptic but certainly in a similar realm of "out there." The short is supposed to be one large metaphor. We'll see if I managed to pull that off in a few days!

Last edited:
Hey Poke!
When do we get to know the breakdown on the judging? I'd love to know what the categories/considerations are!
(This way I can secretly begin making devious symbolic elaborations...)

Back