• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Dumpster - A Short Comedy

Come on, guys. Don't you remember that SNL clip?

We all suck. Saying how much someone else sucks doesn't mean that you suck less. Also, sucky critique won't change the suckiness of the original work. All we can try to do is be less sucky for the next thing we try, which may or may not still suck, and that's okay. Suck.

Last edited:
By the way, who the Hell is this Bernie Lawson who keeps getting mentioned? is he anyone famous or important. Also, the short itself is fine, I guess. Gary's a bit of a silly guy. Wheatgrinder, your script was the most original thing I've ever seen. Many of you come acroiss as being way too pretentious for my tastes... and no I don't have any scripts to share or anything I just wanted to post something to this hysterical thread. Okay. Signing off now! NellyBojangles is over and out!

By the way, who the Hell is this Bernie Lawson who keeps getting mentioned? is he anyone famous or important.

If you've never heard of B. Lawson, you're obviously a neophyte. He's known in town variously as "The insider's insider", "The Chessmaster" and "The man with the midas touch". I was his executive assistant story editor for 6 and half years.

If you've never heard of B. Lawson, you're obviously a neophyte. He's known in town variously as "The insider's insider", "The Chessmaster" and "The man with the midas touch". I was his executive assistant story editor for 6 and half years.

Wow! Well yeah I'm sure everyone's heard of the guy so obviously I know nothing. Seriously though, 6 and a half years? Why don't you work with him anymore? Did you quit? Get fired for being a pretentious d-bag? What happened exactly?

Wow! Well yeah I'm sure everyone's heard of the guy so obviously I know nothing. Seriously though, 6 and a half years? Why don't you work with him anymore? Did you quit? Get fired for being a pretentious d-bag? What happened exactly?

Creative differences. He still respects me though. I can call him any time.

Creative differences. He still respects me though. I can call him any time.

Well, that's cool. If you don't mind my asking what are you doing in the film community these days? The only reason I ask is because so many people on this forum have very strong opinions without being able to back them up. So I'm merely curious.

Well, that's cool. If you don't mind my asking what are you doing in the film community these days? The only reason I ask is because so many people on this forum have very strong opinions without being able to back them up. So I'm merely curious.

I'm trying to come up with a concept for a cat video. Been blocked creatively lately though.

I'm thinking of taking up yoga to get unblocked. Bernie says yoga works wonders.

I'm trying to come up with a concept for a cat video. Been blocked creatively lately though.

I'm thinking of taking up yoga to get unblocked. Bernie says yoga works wonders.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, brother. Back in the day I used to write 3-6 cat vids a week and now I don't. Well, hey, if you need any help just send a message my way. I've written a thing or a million in my day. Yeah yoga is the best!

I dunno, Brian, I've heard you talk a lot of trash about Lawson. I feel like you might have burned that bridge.

On a side-note (and I'm not joking) -- I've currently got two projects just waiting to happen. One of them is a music video for some friends of mine. The other one is a cat video. For real. :)

Skreamings, I appreciate the fact that you appreciate the fact that the craziness of this thread has just lead to more views for your video. I'm gonna try and further drive some traffic over here:

Natalie Portman naked, Prometheus leaked footage, Justin Bieber, goatse, Lady Gaga official video, free movie downloads!

To post something actually on-topic, though -- yeah, this short is pretty cool. A lot of people forget that filmmaking is a visual medium, first and foremost. It's not easy to tell a story with scant dialogue, and yours is very effective. Cheers!

A lot of people forget that filmmaking is a visual medium, first and foremost. It's not easy to tell a story with scant dialogue, and yours is very effective. Cheers!

+1
MOTION pictures. Not two people sitting on a couch talking at each other. I think when a story is told visually, you can cut corners on acting -- the acting in Dumpster ranged from fair to bad, but it still works because people are doing things, like operating a garden hose, you don't have to be Tom Cruise to get through that scene. A dialog heavy scene, particularly comedy, if the performance isn't there, you're screwed. The whole thing will fail, irrespective of the writing and everything else.

There another cool thing about Dumpster is that a lot of people can relate to it. Getting rid of junk. Anyone who has ever torn out a kitchen can relate -- what to do with all this debris! Even the title is good.

And oh, Bernie and I are okay again. I owe him so much. All my success.

Last edited:
I dunno, Brian, I've heard you talk a lot of trash about Lawson. I feel like you might have burned that bridge.

On a side-note (and I'm not joking) -- I've currently got two projects just waiting to happen. One of them is a music video for some friends of mine. The other one is a cat video. For real. :)

Skreamings, I appreciate the fact that you appreciate the fact that the craziness of this thread has just lead to more views for your video. I'm gonna try and further drive some traffic over here:

Natalie Portman naked, Prometheus leaked footage, Justin Bieber, goatse, Lady Gaga official video, free movie downloads!

To post something actually on-topic, though -- yeah, this short is pretty cool. A lot of people forget that filmmaking is a visual medium, first and foremost. It's not easy to tell a story with scant dialogue, and yours is very effective. Cheers!

Thanks Cracker and Brian. Nice to hear more nice things about the dumpster. Again, I agree with the flaws. The next one will be even better.

And I'm thinking I should grab those keywords and put them in some of my google ads to attract viewers. Thanks for those.

Man, this thread is terrible. You're all crazy. :crazy:

Anyways... The Dumpster.

Seen it before, sometime last year. Got some chuckles out of it. It's not Shakespeare, and doesn't pretend to be. It's not going to win an Oscar, but at the same time it's not terrible... and whoever made it probably learned a few things in the process that can be used to make their next film even better.

Do, learn, improve. 'Grats on completing the flick and getting it out there, OP. :cool:

Hey Steve,

Thanks. I may not get an Oscar, but The Dumpster screened twice with Time Freak, which is up for a shorts oscar this year.

If you are in Socal, maybe you saw it at the SoCal Indie Film Fest?

I saw in your profile something about UC Irvine. I went there as well. Studied Film there. You too?

Hey Gary,

Just thought you'd like to hear what some of the people on the internet are saying about The Dumpster in their comments.

AnnaYaya says

"You got me to laugh out loud, so thanks!"

Bearlinefilms says

"Funny as hell…"

MrKaptainKrunchful says

"Awesome!!!! Very funny, Wonderful Cinematography, and a HILARIOUS ending!!!!"

Back