Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Survivors

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Geriatrics

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Going Viral

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
So do we want each film to end with the broadcast? Or are we going to show something of the aftermath of the results being announced?

EDIT: Perhaps we should arrange a Skype conference call some time to iron out these little details, then we could provide a definitive list of requirements for all writers...

I'm yet to decide, so i can't give a definite ending. I'll have some input over the next day or two.

so my story, if set in LA USA can start as early as 11:00 am (gmt offset -8) the previous day..
your story, if set in London, can start as early as 7:00PM the previous day...

correct?

so my story, if set in LA USA can start as early as 11:00 am (gmt offset -8) the previous day..
your story, if set in London, can start as early as 7:00PM the previous day...

correct?

That sounds good to me.

I'm itching to get writing now, but I'm on my netbook and I don't have CeltX :(

EDIT: Hence the benefit of prior arrangement :) But I do appreciate that we all live in different time zones (well not all of us obviously...)

Just a couple of questions before I start writting or at least throwing around some ideas.

Do we have to focus on an organ receiver?

Are we going for a dark place in the near future, like Chidren of Men, or could dark humour be involved? No blatant jokes, but certainly, hypocritical and cynic characters.

How many winners are we talking about? Would they be in the thousands, or are they few, being a winner akin to being famous.

How long should the story be?

For now, I can only shoot 720p. Would that be a problem?

I think 'tone' is something that we'll need to look at. I'm more inclined towards going drama all round (rather than black comedy) but I guess some of the threads will take a more positive/uplifting look at the situation, whereas other's will be all grim about it (mine)...

As for the winners that's another thing to iron out. PTP said 10. I said a 1000. Anyone want to pluck for a number in between?

Oh, I thought we would end without revealing who won... (joke)
how about we mirror the selection process and draw for a winner, but after the fact!

For those that want to, this is me presuming that a bulk of the gloomy types here will WANT their character to lose so they would opt out of the drawing.. (lol) anyway, those remote units that provide both a Winning and Losing ending to their film will be entered in a drawing to see who ACTUALLY wins. Random selection. The question is do we (the collecting) TRUST the remote units enough to let it all ride on a roll of the dice like that! lol

I say that the lottery should have an extreme quantity of winners.
We could go with a number in the tenths of thousands, meaning that a winner might get mentioned in the news once and never again, at best.
Or we could go wth a select few winners, where winning turns soeone into a celebrity for some time, getting interviewed by new stations and such.

Also, as Nick said, tone. Drama could be more suitable.

What about VFX? Are we allowed to add some? I would prefer to keep post effects at a minimum, since nothing is worst than cheap muzzle flashes in AE, but if something nice can be done, pre-approved edition could work. Nothing too fancy, sky replacement, or matte paintings if done right could go a long way to convey a certain mood.

@JakeSully,
I believe the meat of the story is in the build up, not the results.. at least that what I thought..

Regarding VFX and quality in general. In an earlier post I suggested that remote units make finished movies and submit them to the bigger project for edit and inclusion in the final cut. That said, perhaps if your quality sucks (VFX or otherwise) you film (of those bad shots) just doesn't make it into the FINAL CUT or the final cut editors come back and say "do that over" or just "fixes" it.

I think quality control is something we'll have to look at closely.

I would stress that anyone can and should take part in this. However we are all contributing to the same film and there is (in addition to the short films) going to be a final cut of the movie, with them all pieced together.

I agree with JakeSully (if that is your real name :P ) when he says that bad VFX don't look too great. People like wheat who are 'hobby VFX' peeps can do incredible stuff but if it's just adding that powdery blood in AE, I think that's a no go. If you're doing VFX (which shouldn't be too much given the idea we're working with) then I think you should post pretty early samples so that we can see whether that's the right sort of thing. I'd hate for someone to spend loads of time doing something but not be able to have it included, simply because it didn't look right.

Current remote unite locations:

Oregon
Michigan
London
Sheffield (?)
Uruguay
Texas
Minnesota

Fun, fun, fun :)

EDIT: Just think how much it would cost to make a movie with all those locations...

Last edited:
I think 'tone' is something that we'll need to look at. I'm more inclined towards going drama all round (rather than black comedy) but I guess some of the threads will take a more positive/uplifting look at the situation, whereas other's will be all grim about it (mine)...

As for the winners that's another thing to iron out. PTP said 10. I said a 1000. Anyone want to pluck for a number in between?

The segment taking shape in my mind is most definitely drama. I'd recommend we stick with a serious tone since it's life and death we're dealing with. Although we need to assign at least one unit as the recipient of the "prize" in order to move the story to its climax.

Last edited:
I say that the lottery should have an extreme quantity of winners.
We could go with a number in the tenths of thousands, meaning that a winner might get mentioned in the news once and never again, at best.
Or we could go wth a select few winners, where winning turns soeone into a celebrity for some time, getting interviewed by new stations and such.

Also, as Nick said, tone. Drama could be more suitable.

What about VFX? Are we allowed to add some? I would prefer to keep post effects at a minimum, since nothing is worst than cheap muzzle flashes in AE, but if something nice can be done, pre-approved edition could work. Nothing too fancy, sky replacement, or matte paintings if done right could go a long way to convey a certain mood.

So tell me, where are these "tens of thousands" of organ donors coming from? Genocide? Now there's a dark theme.

I just had a neat though VPT... what about corruption or fixing of the lottery? Something a bit sinister? Could that fit somehow? Although, I'm interested to hear your ideas as well... I think each of the groups hashing out their main plots in this thread would allow the others to see what's going on in the world we're creating to get a sense of the fit of each story.

Regarding VFX I'll personally do my best to get the short itself to an acceptable quality. If after I'm done, I can add stuff to it I'll be glad to do so, but not basing my story on that.

I still don't know what are we going with right now. Are we going with a feature lenght movie composed of RU's shorts, or are we going to create a concept and present each movie as a part of a bigger thing but still coherent by themselves?

I think that the second aproach could be easier to acomplish since we are goingto have a lot of (technically) different source material.

The organ donnors could be a suitable subject to expand on. There is so much to be done with it, and from so many angles...

Knightly, I have several ideas in my head right now. One of them questioning the randomness of the lottery. It could fit quite well as long as we keep similarities with "The island" to a minimum :lol:

Still, I think (and this is just my 2c) that we should try to outline the project here. Get the basics done, create the concept, stablish where are we going to meet each other's stories. Then we could start another thread, keeping it tidy, where we add an outline of our ideas, so we can check that no one is shooting something too similar to someone else's idea.

BTW: My real name is Rodrigo.

Last edited:
The reason I proposed that ten-numbers are to be drawn, is that i would imagine, a draw into the thousands would lack the tension that we're trying to create. It's too vast, even given the population of the earth, a draw into thousands could not be televised to create a dramatic effect, not in the minimalist approach anyway.

What do you think?

I agree that we've got to choose a smaller number than thousands, but if we got with 10 then we have to explain why there is such a shortage of organs as well, which means we're getting into different territory yet again.

How about 500 worldwide? Not very many compared to all the people who need one. We could use the a figure like each person (who had requested one) having a 1 in 1000 chance of receiving one... or would that make it simply too unlikely that they'd receive one?

I agree that we've got to choose a smaller number than thousands, but if we got with 10 then we have to explain why there is such a shortage of organs as well, which means we're getting into different territory yet again.

How about 500 worldwide? Not very many compared to all the people who need one. We could use the a figure like each person (who had requested one) having a 1 in 1000 chance of receiving one... or would that make it simply too unlikely that they'd receive one?

It's the broadcast, that is making me sway to lower numbers. A lottery-draw of 500 numbers, surely would go beyond hours?

Perhaps The Lottery is the "sanitary" method of acquiring an organ. Perhaps there are darkened-alley harvesting rings, that loom in the back of the mind, adding even more pressure to their number being revealed. The Lottery is the last hope, the other a venture most cannot afford, nor face. This is normality, something that is spoken in hushed tones...

The very same premise as the lottery. It's not impossible to acquire £3,900,000. But buying a ticket and crossing your fingers is a whole lot easier.

I sincerely think the lower the number, the better.

Just to add a few thought to what has already been said:

Does everybody in the world now require an organ donation? Maybe a pandemic of sorts? Is it only people who currently require an organ that are eligible for the draw? If not, will there be more organs available in the future? If not, what would happen to somebody who, one month down the line, needs a transplant? Is that tough luck?

I’ve got an idea for a story, so I might have a go at writing it. But I wouldn’t really be confident enough, nor have the resources, to film it, so I might just put it out there, and if anybody wants it, they can have it.

Oh, and I’d also suggest having the draw at prime time in the US, and everybody else works around that. Also, if the number of organs is too low, you’d expect there to be no hope. If the chances of winning were one-in-a-billion, I think most people, although they may still buy a ticket, would resign themselves to the fact that they weren’t going to win, taking away from the drama.

Back