Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Survivors

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Geriatrics

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Going Viral

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Ok, so let's start thinking about the next steps... Assuming that we've all approved of the Organ Lottery idea...

1.) Develop ideas for the framing structure. Is one person going to fill a thread that will link all the different stories together? If so, how are we going to do that?

2.) Come up with a series of universal plot points to be considered in the writing process.

3.) Start a, tentative, sign up process. This will mean that we know where our different remote units are going to be located and how many there are going to be. We can also start allocating specific jobs in the writing process if people want to write but not film.

4.) Treatments/storyboards for each remote unit. Once we get to this stage I think it's important that we take a look at the direction in which all the different threads are going so that we can all offer advice and criticism. That way we'll ensure that the overall tone and pace of the piece is fairly even.

Anyone else got any thoughts about what the next few steps should be?

Cheers Steve! I saw that story on the news and thought it was extraordinary. It would certainly be an interesting point for one of the remote units to allude to...

Ok, I'm going to get the ball rolling here by affirming my commitment to the project:

Nick Hilton- I'm happy to work as producer, do some writing and assist with a remote unit in London.

Anyone else want to play? Or am I going to be playing in a sandpit of desperation and misery?

I will potentially film a segment... depends on when it gets to that point though... I have some possibility that I'll be off in Nebraska again this summer working... oh and... I don't write.

I will potentially film a segment... depends on when it gets to that point though... I have some possibility that I'll be off in Nebraska again this summer working... oh and... I don't write.

I can write your segment if you'd like. We can collaborate based on what resources you have available. Because I'm in the opposite situation. I doubt I'll have time and willing resources to film anything (at least not anything worth a crap).

And you used to write. What happened? I still have a draft of something you were writing. I held onto it because of its technical aspects. Interesting stuff.

ok it may be a little late to post a whole new idea. But I was thinking if there wasn't a way to do this but not have some sort of end-of-the-world/world-crisis scenario.

So how about we take an object, something either that we all can get an identical version of regardless of location, or else some beat up old object that we can mail to each other for our pieces. You probably know where I'm headed with this, but: then we can each film a scene with that same object making it's way into the lives of our subjects. The only thing is it would need to be something that can be used in a lot of different ways, and also something that it would be remotely feasible to 'accidentally' travel the world. But really, even a rusty bucket would work for that (it's a kid's drum, it's a fisherman's tool, it's a homeless man's chair, etc etc).

I think this could be a really beautiful piece and while sharing a prop may sound limiting, I think there's is actually a lot of room for creativity in it.

Whadya think?

VPTurner said:
I can write your segment if you'd like. We can collaborate based on what resources you have available. Because I'm in the opposite situation. I doubt I'll have time and willing resources to film anything (at least not anything worth a crap).

This is what I'm talkin' about! You wanna write, Knightly don't wanna write. Problem solved :)

ok it may be a little late to post a whole new idea. But I was thinking if there wasn't a way to do this but not have some sort of end-of-the-world/world-crisis scenario.

So how about we take an object, something either that we all can get an identical version of regardless of location, or else some beat up old object that we can mail to each other for our pieces. You probably know where I'm headed with this, but: then we can each film a scene with that same object making it's way into the lives of our subjects. The only thing is it would need to be something that can be used in a lot of different ways, and also something that it would be remotely feasible to 'accidentally' travel the world. But really, even a rusty bucket would work for that (it's a kid's drum, it's a fisherman's tool, it's a homeless man's chair, etc etc).

I think this could be a really beautiful piece and while sharing a prop may sound limiting, I think there's is actually a lot of room for creativity in it.

Whadya think?

I've done various writing challenges where you have a required prop and they work really well in sparking creativity. What tends to happen is that each writer integrates the prop in a totally different way so that no two scripts are ever remotely similar.

It's certainly worth thinking about but I would say it's an idea perhaps better suited to the Monthly Contest. I'm not sure how we'd go about fashioning an idea like this into one coherent piece from different locations. Potentially each film could open with that person receiving a letter with the aforementioned prop in it and then the mystery unravels from there. But I fear that that would stifle the creativity that you're looking for.

Personally I think required prop contests are cool, but I'm not really convinced that it would work for a project like this. That said if people can think of ways to integrate it that could work...

Whadya think?

Like a wire coat hanger??:)

I hope I'm not late!
I'd love to take part in this.

The organ lottery was my favorite, since quite a lot can be told from that base premise. As someone alredy said, I think we should try to go around and see how many of us are really willing to do something, and what.
I think I could write something decent. I think my english is ok, and with someone to proof read it after it's done, might work.
The only problem I see with "The organ lottery" is budget-wise. When you think sick people, you think hospitals, hospices, life support machinery.
We could go with a "genetic mapping" aproach, where the lottery focus on poeple that is going to have some kind of organ failure, thus reducing the number of actually sick looking people.

The idea of the object is quite ok. What about a knife? A regular knife, with this strange symbol on the handle. The knife might change it's overall look with time and location, but somehow, that symbol is still there. Unchanged. As mysterious as the first time we see it.

What happened? I still have a draft of something you were writing. I held onto it because of its technical aspects. Interesting stuff.

Writing requires time to complete and the drive to complete - both of which I lack due to concentrations on other things. Which project do you have of mine? and what technical aspects?

I'm totally down for a collaboration!

This is what i proposed in the original thread for the "Organ Lottery".

All the small-stories we create are of those waiting for Organs, we show the final day, when the draw is made. Radios playing throughout, speaking of the events, as the broadcast of who gets what Organ is a huge occurence.

Each ending with our characters, huddled around the TV sets, radios, to discover their fate.

interesting.. I had pictured the aftermath.. but the build up could be just as intriguing.. wide open for the remote filmmakers to play with... I can picture an intense montage of the very last moments before the announcement.

My thoughts exactly, perfect suspense, for us to journey with the characters, for the audience to decide who they want to suceed in being chosen, and the tragic thought of those who don't.

The central connection could be someone who works in the organization that administers the lottery.. he reads all the letters, he gets to know the people.. of course he has no POWER to chose.. or does he.???

Perhaps the Presenter of the show. A real character, utterly tactless in his approach. Blind to what life changing decisions his announcements hold. A perfect candidate to validate the state of the society to the viewers, and why, such a traumatic procedure is now a game of chance.

--

I've almost finished a first draft of the script following the approach above. I'll post once complete.

We could add things along the concept of Red Apple Cigarettes, and Chango Beer. The connection will lie in the details. Those waiting for organs are seen drinking hte same fictional soda. We see several commercial brakes depicting the same product, in different parts of the story.
We don't need to create a whole movie. We need to create a universe; then create a story. Or several. Each "director" edits his or her short and we find a way to present all of them.
Risking to be known as a Tarantino fanboy, I'll say this anyway: Think Grindhouse, with several directors.

Last edited:
Ok, so let's start thinking about the next steps... Assuming that we've all approved of the Organ Lottery idea...

1.) Develop ideas for the framing structure. Is one person going to fill a thread that will link all the different stories together? If so, how are we going to do that?

2.) Come up with a series of universal plot points to be considered in the writing process.

3.) Start a, tentative, sign up process. This will mean that we know where our different remote units are going to be located and how many there are going to be. We can also start allocating specific jobs in the writing process if people want to write but not film.

4.) Treatments/storyboards for each remote unit. Once we get to this stage I think it's important that we take a look at the direction in which all the different threads are going so that we can all offer advice and criticism. That way we'll ensure that the overall tone and pace of the piece is fairly even.

Anyone else got any thoughts about what the next few steps should be?

Nick, I think this is on the right track, though I suggest that the remote units pretty much can do what they want.

I think number four above is too tight. Can we open up the "obligations" of the remote units so that they can have autonomy and creative license? I suggest this because I think the more FREEDOM the remote units have, the more likely they are to participate. I counter this with the reality of needing a cohesiveness or else its a bunch of unconnected mini movies..

In this thread a few ideas have come up to bring the various remote unit productions together, I believe that these and a few more details will solidify this bond. This list is from the thread and a few more besides, subject to discussion of course..

All the productions will:
  1. share the same over arching story
  2. share the same plot time line
  3. have facts in common, live in the same universe\time. (What year is it? Who is the president? stuff like that.)
  4. have common characters (radio \ TV personalities etc)
  5. have common score (final score for the entire project done by one person\team)
  6. have common incidental music (music playing on the radio, etc)
  7. have a few common props (I love this idea DreddyLocks!)
  8. ...

Papertwinproductions said:
I've almost finished a first draft of the script following the approach above. I'll post once complete.

Almost finished? A first draft? Now I feel way behind :) I might have to start drafting ideas, although a sneaky part of me would love to have a peek at yours first...

@JakeSully: You're a long way from being too late! I was thinking that you needn't worry about it being in English. I think it could be really effective having one segment in Spanish (obviously we'd have to add subtitles) but it would give it a really global feel. And kind of that Babel sensation...

Back