Sony 24p HD

>HD Tape Stock: $15,000.00
>Filmlook™: $15,000.00
>Devinci Color Correction: $20,000.00

Holy moly! That's expensive tape! How much tape is that?

is the filmlook and the extra color correction necesary?

HD Tape Stock: $15,000.00
The stock I use, D5, is about $500 for 120 Minutes.
So $500.00 = 2 hours of footage. I use about 80 hours of footage on my larger productions. Which comes to $17,500.00... So I went over about $2,500.00.... Of course I get a discount on buying that much, without that, it would be $20,000.00

Filmlook™: $15,000.00
Filmlook™... Ok, I must say that HD is still Video. And Filmlook is made for Video. HD still looks a bit like video, even though you can do 20 In-Camera Corrections. I prefer to do most out of the camera, were I have more control. Filmlook™ can make a MAJOR difference.

Devinci Color Correction: $20,000.00
Yes, Devinci CC can turn a Daylight scene too night, it can add a tinted tone to it, it can make an image warmer, softer. It can allow you too mix B&W with Color in the same scene (I'v done this on a few of my productions).

I will say, I have expensive tastes. however, that only means the production looks more expensive.

Of course Filmlook and Devinci are not required. But on my larger productions, I use it.

Please correct me If I left somthing out... Thank you.
Landon

The stock I use, D5, is about $500 for 120 Minutes.
So $500.00 = 2 hours of footage. I use about 80 hours of footage on my larger productions.
How many productions have you made using D5 as your shooting stock?

Which camera did you use?

"The stock I use, D5, is about $500 for 120 Minutes.
So $500.00 = 2 hours of footage. I use about 80 hours of footage on my larger productions. Which comes to $17,500.00... So I went over about $2,500.00.... Of course I get a discount on buying that much, without that, it would be $20,000.00"

Holy crap!!! I've shot HD and we used Sony HDCam tape stock and it only cost $125 per 120 min. tape. (Actually, I use 60 min. tapes because for field work, 120 min tapes are too thin and can't take the abuse.) For $17,500 I could shoot Super-16 or standard 16 with a ratio of 17 to 1 (based on a 100 min. film.) or that equals over 60,000 feet of film. I average around 25,000 feet (Ratio 8-1) on my 16mm film features which ends up giving us around 15-17 hours of footage. 80 hours, what do you do? Just turn the camera on and let it run until the tape runs out. On an 18 day shoot, which is standard for low budget features, if you worked 12 hour days with an hour for lunch, you'd be running the camera 40% of your working time. I've never been on a set inwhich the camera rolled that amount of the time. Sorry to question you, but these numbers sound extravagant.

Scott

Holy, I don't think I have ever seen a DV tape that costs that much. Can you provide a link? I'm interested in checking it out. Sheer curiosity now!

>>And Filmlook is made for Video. HD still looks a bit like video, even though you can do 20 In-Camera Corrections. I prefer to do most out of the camera, were I have more control. Filmlook™ can make a MAJOR difference. <<

Yes but I still don't get your insistance on its use. I can do everything "filmlook" can do with Adobe After Effects 6.5 Pro for a fraction of the cost.... I honestly don't see the need to pay someone else to do this sort of work.... especially that much!

Also, the audience can't tell the difference between HD and film. They don't sqint at the screen, say "that's not film. I can tell", then walk out of a movie! As long as the movie is good, whether filmed, taped, animated, or whatever...they'll like it.

It seems awefully wasteful to me to spend thousands of dollars on a process that will make virtually no difference from the audience's perspective...or at all.

If you tape using HD, and have a good DP and good post processes...then it will look about as good as it can.

To shaw: go to

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...toreId=11201&catalogId=13051&catGroupId=14593

I use the $500 stock at the very top.

to Scott Spears:

I understand your concern...

Now I have only shot that amount of footage once... Because I could. I have no plans of using 80 hours of footage again. by the time I was done with this film, I had about 30 hours of usable footage. about 4 hours went into the final film.

I require the Highest Picture and sound Qualtiy from my films.

This may seem like a Lot, However, As I said, I have no reason to shot this amount again. for instance, if we use HD on this upcoming production, then I will probably order 40 hours of D5 tape. If we use 35mm, more or likly I will order 30 hours of Film.

The last production that I used this amount, we shot for a totoal of 60 days. Breaking every weekend. My films dont fall into the "Most films" catagory as fare as Production time... This film, We spent 6 months in totoal production. 12 hour days? On a good day maybee... We usually do 12 hours on a basic day, then toward ending of production, we beef up to maybee 16 hours day. and i did all of this just to have somthing to show for myself. I never have any intention to release it to the public. sorry. :roll:

I knew a dude with a Panasonic Varicam, he let me use it free. I also hired a DP with his own equipment and a Key Grip with his own equipment. I also hired a Steadicam Owner / Operator. So in turn, I got a GREAT deal for this production.

The most expensive step? the tape cost's.

Now, why did I not just film on film. #1: I didnt feel like dealing with it. #2: I didnt have the money for processing. #3: I got the HD camera for free, why pay for a film camera?!?

Directorik: I use HD on 4 productions so fare. 2 used D5, other used HDCAM or DPCPROHD According to the Camera. I have used both Cinealta and Varicam HD cameras.

Yeah yeah... and you have a $20 million studio, you told us.

Ok... I'll be back when I have somthing to talk about thats important, or somthing that I dont think I'll get called a liar over.

Believe me or not. I dont think Im BS'ing anyone on this forum.

Landon

"If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance." - Marcus Aurelius (121–180)

Director by nature,

Thanks for the clarification. A free HD camera is good thing to have. Being a film guy with his own 16mm camera package makes me think film most of the time. Your schedule somewhat explains the amount of footage you shot. I came up through film and it was/is expensive, so I always shoot small ratios. I also don't like to swamp my editor. Some editors like as much stuff as you can give them.

Take care,

Scott

Back