R.I.P. AMY

Singer Song writer Amy Winehouse scored big with Fans, critics, awards and rocked sales charts. Here's a samplying of accomplishments when she was in top form:

2008 saw Amy Winehouse honored with 5 of the US Recording Academy’s most prestigious awards: Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Best New Artist, Song of the Year (Rehab) and Record of the Year (Rehab) at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. This makes Amy the first ever British female artist to win 5 Grammys in one night and sees her join Lauryn Hill (1998), Alicia Keys (2001), Norah Jones (2002) and Beyonce (2003) in the elite band of female artists who have won 5 awards in one evening.

During that time “Back To Black”, her second album (and the biggest selling UK album of 2007), has sold over 5 million copies worldwide and turned Amy into one of the hottest stars in the world. Widely regarded as a modern day masterpiece by critics and fans alike the UK chart success has been mirrored in the US where “Back To Black” entered the Billboard Hot 100 at no. 7 making Amy the highest debuting British female artist in the history of the US albums chart

The critical response to the record has been impressive and in addition to the Grammy’s Amy has picked up a series of awards including a Brit, South Bank Show Award, Ivor Novello, Mojo, Glamour, Elle Style Award, Mobo, MTV Europe’s Artists’ Choice Award and Q Award for Album of the Year. Meanwhile Amy’s 2003 debut album ‘Frank’ has now gone double platinum selling 300,000 copies in 2007 alone.

She might not appeal to everyone, but by every conceivable metric (critcal response, record sales, awards), this was a huge talent lost today. That's something to regret.

She won my heart with her music.
I'm sad.
Simple.

Last edited:
Perfect description of Rossio -- nailed it. Thanks! :yes:

Oh great, let's bash him now. He only has billions in screen revenues, Academy Award nominations and other awards and has probably disemminated more screenwriting knowledge than anyone on the planet. So let's kick him around too for a while or should we wait til he's dead?

She had no rights to privacy then and especially now.

That's a truly idiotic statement. Everyone has a right to privacy. By your measure, the fact that you post in forums means you have no right to privacy. Yet I'd be willing to bet a pound of flesh that you'd bitch and moan should your privacy ever be violated.

That's a truly idiotic statement. Everyone has a right to privacy.

Check your facts. In the United States, public figures have no rights to privacy. You're free to think its an idiotic statement, but its factually correct.

http://www.freeuslaw.com/public-figures.htm

Quote (re: public figures):

"With respect to certain privacy rights, public figures – such as the President of the United States or Tom Cruise – have virtually no legal right to privacy. What the media may know about a celebrity or politician is fair game for publication, no matter how dastardly the information may be. This is so because where public figures are involved, the newsworthiness of the information will outweigh the right to privacy of the public figure – so long as the information is actually true and was not printed or aired with “actual malice.” . . .

Quote: (re: dead people)

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2004/09/do_the_dead_hav.html

"Under U.S. laws, dead people have no legal rights to privacy although living people do. That is why U.S. census records are sealed for 72 years: the average expectancy of American adults at the time that decision was made was 72 years."

----------------------

Amy Winehouse is a public figure and dead.

Last edited:
I think that the reason we mourn people like Winehouse isn't so much because she was this great role model, but because of what she could have been. In this society, we respect talent.

Someone mentioned Kurt Cobain. Let me offer Layne Staley. Yet another sad messed up person, but for those of us who followed Alice In Chains, we knew what was possible and saw the tragedy in wasted talent and that is a sad thing to watch, a talented person self-destruct.

I think we mourn the person's lost potential and wasted talent because when the person actually was functional, we were moved. I don't think I ever heard one of Amy Winehouse's songs all the way through either, but it is still sad when any person dies because of something stupid like drugs. Just what I was thinking....

-- spinner :cool:

I lost my sister to addiction...she lived for that buzz. I am saddened by the great loss of Amy, there are millions of Amys out there. I saw her talent, her gift was some wonderful music that we can always enjoy. Peace, no one is any better than her IMO. If you think you are..I feel for you. I understand how one can be angry and resentful at an addict, they have a monster driving the truck as it were. Not pretty. Amy was tortured like the rest of us, it's all so sad and yet we can celebrate her life. It's not all good or bad. It just was is my thought.

It's a great shame. She must have been quite tortured to be so self destructive. It's a sad thing for her family, friends and fans. She looked really healthy when she first broke but the last few years were like watching a sad train wreck.

Sometimes you try something, you like the feeling and then you try it again. Next thing you know, you don't even remember how to function without doing in your free time. It happens to people all the time. I'm sure there are people who are addicted to this forum. It's worse with drugs because it's a physical change and you get horrible headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. It makes you feel like you are dying. It's somewhat like inception, soon enough the drug-daze becomes their reality and the only way for them to live is to be near death

It's sad to see another young person self-destruct. But at least she's got her peace now.

May I just ask though, why is this thread here? What did Winehouse have to do with "Music in Film?" At the very least this should be moved to the lounge as it has nothing to do with movies...

May I just ask though, why is this thread here? What did Winehouse have to do with "Music in Film?" At the very least this should be moved to the lounge as it has nothing to do with movies...

It's my bad, Dreadylocks.
I'm new to the forum and I'm still getting acquainted.
Special thanks to the moderators, who have to move my threads. :blush:

Seriously? You're two sources are a site with more ads than content and a blog?

Not saying I disagree with you entirely, but if you're gonna try and back up your statements with laws, cite the actual law. Just saying.

Suffice evidence was provided for that one particular poster who made it his mission to insult instead of checking to see if HE was correct before posting. I'd say the burden is now on the person who made the ad hominem attack to show HIS sources. Had he'd been a gentleman about it, I'd devote more time to the matter -- screaming hotheads on the internet I don't care for.

:cool:

Seriously? You're two sources are a site with more ads than content

Have you checked the ads on THIS site recently?? I think its good that the owner of this site is able to get some cash to offset the cost of operating the site, but does the presence of ads make this site less reputable?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll take a shot at the big tent theory. It's a stretch, but Amy was a tremendous creative force and her work moved millions of people -- a once in a generation talent. There's some crossover from one form of art to another. A lot of the people here are musicians or ex musicians, people that have worked in other mediums. Amy in particular often used strong and conventional narrative lines in her music. I'll link (again) to one such example -- it's a short film actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM&feature=related

I'll take a shot at the big tent theory. It's a stretch, but Amy was a tremendous creative force and her work moved millions of people -- a once in a generation talent. There's some crossover from one form of art to another. A lot of the people here are musicians or ex musicians, people that have worked in other mediums. Amy in particular often used strong and conventional narrative lines in her music. I'll link (again) to one such example -- it's a short film actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM&feature=related

Also, her songs probably will be used in films in the future. :)

I won't dispute whether her music was good or not of if she was talented, but her dying because of an addiction to drugs is definitely sad, tragic and depressing. I can't watch something like Leaving Las Vegas ever again. Once is enough.

Same sentiment applies to so many other artists, musicians, composers, filmmakers, actors, etc. who have struggled with addictions, mental illness, depression. It's very real and nothing to belittle or dismiss.

Just ONE other example I might mention:

RIP Chris Farley -- massive talent (literally, figuratively) and hysterical comedian addicted to drugs and food. Dead and gone because of it. Sucks!

Back