R.I.P. AMY

80 people shot dead in Norway yesterday, but everyone's upset about the drug addict with the catchy song.

The world's an odd place.

gelder

Shit, yesterday I saw a picture of her inthe newspaper, I think it was an article about a show of hers, and asked my friend "How was she still alive"

80 people shot dead in Norway yesterday, but everyone's upset about the drug addict with the catchy song.

gelder

She was a gifted artist and her music inspired and moved millions of people all over the planet -- kinda like some of us here want to do with film -- which is why mention of her passing is warranted in a place like this and the Norway slaughter, horrific as it is, probably isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM&feature=player_embedded

Some here may feel superior and smug because they haven't suffered from addiction -- easy to dismiss it as "Weakness" or "Character flaws" or it's their choice or personal repsonsiblity blah blah. In a perfect world things are probably just that simple.

She was a gifted artist and her music inspired and moved millions of people all over the planet -- kinda like some of us here want to do with film -- which is why mention of her passing is warranted in a place like this and the Norway slaughter, horrific as it is, probably isn't.

Sure, I get that. But, it's not just here - it's everywhere.

Sorry to any of her personal friends and family here who were offended by my statement.

gelder

Ok, so much for that.

She was a marginally talented crackhead. I just never got it. She didn't write her own stuff (always had "co-writers"), I personally know half a dozen women with better voices, and in Nashville there are literally hundreds of women with better voices. Oh lordy, she was just sooo fragile.... soooo damaged... boo hoo hoo. There are probably 1000 dead junkies in the world today.It is indeed really sad that they are so pathetic and fucked up they can't managed to pull their heads out of their asses before they buy the farm, but so it goes.

Another dead junkie, hardly earthshaking news.

Last edited:

gelder

I'm quite sure the world is grieving both the death of Amy Winehouse, and the tragedy in Norway. Neither favours the other, nor should it.

Grief is grief.

I'm certain that the death of Amy Winehouse surprised few. But it's a thread that is here to pay respect. I would like to believe the folks of this forum would refrain from passing disrespectful remarks, and honour its intent if they wish to participate.

gelder

Rest in peace for:

All the people shot in Norway today
All the people who died in a car crash today
All the people who died of disease today
All the people who died in Libya today
All the people who died of old age today
And the talented Amy Winehouse

But it's a thread that is here to pay respect. I would like to believe the folks of this forum would refrain from passing disrespectful remarks, and honour its intent if they wish to participate.

I don't think pointing out that the world has a disproportionate sense of what is important is disrespectful, but, to each their own.

gelder

I'm gonna go with gonzo on this. I didn't think she was that talented and feel the only reason her music stood out was because she ripped off Motown from the 60s and 70s and that after her rehab song the only thing that kept her relevant was her real life drama. She did this to herself. Instead I'll feel bad for the 80 people in Norway that didn't ask for what happened to them.

Gonzo, your opinion is valid however millions of people in every hemisphere and most professional critics disagree with you. So most people don't find it surprising that she became famous. In other words your comments in addition to being vulgar and inappropriate, also fly in the face of empirical evidence, but you of course are free to feel and believe anything you want.

So co-writing doesn't count? I guess Terry Rossio is also "Marginally talented" by that measure.

Interesting you'd mention her looks. Not all of us listen to music based on how good looking a performer is. But if that's an important thing for you, great -- a lot of people value that in music performance -- and a lot don't.

I don't think pointing out that the world has a disproportionate sense of what is important is disrespectful, but, to each their own.

gelder

It was a discouraging comment, although honest, in a thread created for the purpose of paying respect.

I'm never one to dismiss a comment made by any member on this board. I knew the topic would arise and that it would be controversial, having already paid my respects I didn't plan to do so on this forum. However, as we honour any thread film related by their designated "Topic" and "Subject". I'd have assumed the tradition would keep.

It was a discouraging comment, although honest, in a thread created for the purpose of paying respect.

Threads go off-topic. And, honestly, I don't think a thread in a newsgroup "pays respect" to anyone, unless that person was a member of that newsgroup, or, I guess, that profession.

But, again, that may just be me.

gelder

Back