R.I.P. AMY

Check out Facebook and see what the "R.I.P. Amy Winehouse" to "wow, that thing in Norway was f*cked up" ratio is...

gelder

I had an inkling this was how the worlds measure of importance was decided.

You may also notice the spiral of Amy Winehouse jokes are more "popular" than the Norway tragedy. I believe they may even be a trending topic. Yet, if we looked further, and took how things "trend", you'll notice that thousands upon thousands of people talking about this very topic and justifying to those that ask or point the finger, that both are of equal importance. Even if they didn't happen to use the same phrases to justify a thumbs up from the "social" networks.

I'll say no more. Opinions are welcome, I just don't believe it the correct place.

No worries, bud.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure the world is grieving both the death of Amy Winehouse, and the tragedy in Norway. Neither favours the other, nor should it.

Grief is grief.

I'm certain that the death of Amy Winehouse surprised few. But it's a thread that is here to pay respect. I would like to believe the folks of this forum would refrain from passing disrespectful remarks, and honour its intent if they wish to participate.

Thank you. Her death is not in competition with the events in Oslo (or Somalia, come to think of it) as to which is more grievous and it's perfectly possible to be saddened by more than one thing at the same time.

And as for referring to the recently deceased as "another dead junkie"…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui-PNqJrxs

I think it's really disappointing to see people making off topic and negative comments on this thread. Clearly this is meant to be here to mourn Amy Winehouse or show respect for her. If you want to talk about the events in Norway by all means go ahead.

Just because she suffered from a drug addiction which many prophesied would kill doesn't lessen the tragedy. She was talented (and this isn't the place to discuss it even if you think she wasn't) and it's always a shame to see people die so young, whether they're in the public eye or not.

I would just reiterate, high horsey though it might sound, that I'm a little bit sad that people have decided to use a memorial thread to criticise peoples lifestyle, music and reaction to news events. As Ollie says these things are not in competition- a tragedy is a tragedy.

Just an asshole rant kind of day.

It's the whole fucked up media/social construct.
She was a decent singer, she didn't suck. She was in the top, I dunno 1/3 of people who actually attempt to sing out in public for money. There are WAY better, there are WAY worse, she was ok.

She became what she is because of being so fucked up. is she was some happily married music school grad with the same amount of talent she would have been singing in some pub on the weekends, drawing pretty decent and making a little extra cash.

Instead she was stumbled upon by the hipster music media. Isn't she so tragic. So fragile, so damaged. Did you hear she's a cutter. I heard she's on crack. Soooooo tortured, just like Sid Vicious, just like Janis Joplin. and Kurt Cobain.

Then when this fucked up pyscho bitch with some kind of chemical imbalance, and no doubt an egomaniacal, narcissistic personality disorder, finally takes one too many pills on top of the vodka we can all sit around and exclaim how TRAGIC, we knew it was bound to happen, just too fragile for this world, boo hoo hoo.... It's freaking sick. You people (the media and her "fans") passive aggressively orchestrated the whole thing with her willing compliance and it ended just like you knew it would.

It's sad for her family, it's always sad when people just can't seem to deal with living, but don't pretend it isn't what you wanted all along.

Just an asshole rant kind of day.

It's the whole fucked up media/social construct.
She was a decent singer, she didn't suck. She was in the top, I dunno 1/3 of people who actually attempt to sing out in public for money. There are WAY better, there are WAY worse, she was ok.

She became what she is because of being so fucked up. is she was some happily married music school grad with the same amount of talent she would have been singing in some pub on the weekends, drawing pretty decent and making a little extra cash.

Instead she was stumbled upon by the hipster music media. Isn't she so tragic. So fragile, so damaged. Did you hear she's a cutter. I heard she's on crack. Soooooo tortured, just like Sid Vicious, just like Janis Joplin. and Kurt Cobain.

Then when this fucked up pyscho bitch with some kind of chemical imbalance, and no doubt an egomaniacal, narcissistic personality disorder, finally takes one too many pills on top of the vodka we can all sit around and exclaim how TRAGIC, we knew it was bound to happen, just too fragile for this world, boo hoo hoo.... It's freaking sick. You people (the media and her "fans") passive aggressively orchestrated the whole thing with her willing compliance and it ended just like you knew it would.

It's sad for her family, it's always sad when people just can't seem to deal with living, but don't pretend it isn't what you wanted all along.

:no:

I think, all things considered, this is one of the more offensive things I've read on this forum.

It's a shame that this thread couldn't simply be a civil way for fans and sympathisers to express their condolences.

I think it's really disappointing to see people making off topic and negative comments on this thread.

Why are people always so saddened to see a thread go off-topic on the Internet?

Sorry to take it further off, and increase the agony, but - it's the Internet - the whole thing is off-topic...

Sympathies to those who are truly affected by the loss of this performer and person.

gelder

Why are people always so saddened to see a thread go off-topic on the Internet?

Sorry to take it further off, and increase the agony, but - it's the Internet - the whole thing is off-topic...

Sympathies to those who are truly affected by the loss of this performer and person.

gelder

I'm going to try and make this my last reply.

I don't have a problem with threads going off topic but I've seen stacks of 'RIP' threads on this website and they've all been respectful responses by people who want to express their condolences. If there have been people who haven't thought highly of the deceased they have, previously, refrained from commenting on threads that are expressly for the posting of condolences.

If you think that you only need to be respectful about someone who has died when you're relating to their friends and family then we're coming from very different worlds. I try and be respectful of the recently deceased regardless of whether I knew them and regardless of whether I'm talking on the internet or in person.

I also would add that the person who voted this thread '1 star' needs to have a serious think about why they went out of their way to make a condolences thread look bad. That sort of behaviour really does worry me, internet or not.

I don't think I've ever heard a full song by her. I know everyone she's been compared to, but eh on the talent (for me).

Addiction is a terrible thing. Getting help in the blare of intense media must be mind-numbing and terrifying, which makes it that much more difficult.

It's always a shame when someone dies so young. For the people that love her music, it's sadder. She'll go down in the 27 club. But, look at the lives of these people. It's more the excess then the age.

Is Lohan 27 yet? I know I'm terrible. But, am I wrong? Not about the age. But, would you be surprised? It's the same deal here. Just a crying shame when such talent is wasted.

RIP Amy.

My 2 cents . . . Amy Winehouse was a public figure now dead. She had no rights to privacy then and especially now. She did not live her life as a role model so a nice and tidy celebration of her life cannot be expected.

Why do people get addicted?
To drugsalcoholcigarettesfoodshopingsexfame?
Even movies?

What are people trying to escape by getting addicted to something...

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with threads going off topic but I've seen stacks of 'RIP' threads on this website and they've all been respectful responses by people who want to express their condolences. If there have been people who haven't thought highly of the deceased they have, previously, refrained from commenting on threads that are expressly for the posting of condolences.

If you think that you only need to be respectful about someone who has died when you're relating to their friends and family then we're coming from very different worlds. I try and be respectful of the recently deceased regardless of whether I knew them and regardless of whether I'm talking on the internet or in person.

I don't know what has happened in previous R.I.P. threads, and sorry if I'm breaking some unspoken rule of indietalk by making a comment that is viewed as non-respectful. I don't necessarily agree with the school of thought that death equals an impetus for respect, but that is neither here nor there.

I'll refrain from further philosophical debate or off-topic comments, and again express my condolences to those who are affected by this.

gelder

Singer Song writer Amy Winehouse scored big with Fans, critics, awards and rocked sales charts. Here's a samplying of accomplishments when she was in top form:

2008 saw Amy Winehouse honored with 5 of the US Recording Academy’s most prestigious awards: Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Best New Artist, Song of the Year (Rehab) and Record of the Year (Rehab) at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. This makes Amy the first ever British female artist to win 5 Grammys in one night and sees her join Lauryn Hill (1998), Alicia Keys (2001), Norah Jones (2002) and Beyonce (2003) in the elite band of female artists who have won 5 awards in one evening.

During that time “Back To Black”, her second album (and the biggest selling UK album of 2007), has sold over 5 million copies worldwide and turned Amy into one of the hottest stars in the world. Widely regarded as a modern day masterpiece by critics and fans alike the UK chart success has been mirrored in the US where “Back To Black” entered the Billboard Hot 100 at no. 7 making Amy the highest debuting British female artist in the history of the US albums chart

The critical response to the record has been impressive and in addition to the Grammy’s Amy has picked up a series of awards including a Brit, South Bank Show Award, Ivor Novello, Mojo, Glamour, Elle Style Award, Mobo, MTV Europe’s Artists’ Choice Award and Q Award for Album of the Year. Meanwhile Amy’s 2003 debut album ‘Frank’ has now gone double platinum selling 300,000 copies in 2007 alone.

She might not appeal to everyone, but by every conceivable metric (critcal response, record sales, awards), this was a huge talent lost today. That's something to regret.

Back