PROMETHEUS Ridley Scott prequel

The weird thing is you can see something that looks like the Alien (or Alien Queen) on the wall briefly in the imax trailer

I don't know if Ridley Scott has ever acknowledged or admitted any feelings about a queen... in the DIRECTORS CUT of ALIEN, the propagation of the species is clearly self contained - they turn living humans into the eggs with face huggers. I know at some point, Sir Ridley has said nice things about ALIENS, but none of the other films.

I never knew it was in 3D (cries a little) , am I the only person here who hates it. I seen an advert on the TV before for a new release of 'Titanic' in 3D I thought it was a joke at first but it turns it out its true.

Yeah I don't really like 3D because it makes me motion sick. For the small amount of Avatar I saw in 3D it was really cool. Too bad I had to leave do to being motion sick. I did find the 3d effects to be distracting at times from the movie. I like the 2d version because it was not dim and the colors looked better in 2d.

I am sure some of the 3d movies would be cool. I just would rather see it in 2d.

Every 3D movie gets a 2D release at the same time.

I saw TIN TIN in 3D with a ton of trailers, including the teaser to PROMETHEUS. Titanic 3D looked decent, Phantom Menace looked wretched in 3D, the Hobbit trailer look staggeringly good in 3D and Prometheus did too. The latter two were shot with the latest 3D cameras and settings, so they are making improvements. I'm not sold on it yet as most things have been a disappointment in 3D.

Very few movies will I see in 3D, but PROMETHEUS is one of them.

I have seen some movies in 3d that were great and some that were awful. When l was last in the states me and my son both went to see Clash of the titans in 3d and it was dire. Film was slightly better in 2d. Later the same week we saw `How to train your dragon` in 3d and that was great. You could even see that hairy vikings arms bristling with hair in 3d . Certain 3d shots in Avatar were great and there were some in John Carter that were great but on the whole 3d leaves me disapointed. Too many film companies are relying on 3d to carry the film instead of giving a good story and photography etc

My favouite film of recent years `Inception` didnt need 3d, although a lot of cgi effects were used and that is a different story.

I saw the trailer for Prometheus in the cinema on the weekend ,before I watched the Avengers.

The trailer was in 3D. Its going to be a lot to take in. I tend to notice more detail in 2D for some reason.

I think I will end up going to the 2D screening as well when its starts showing.

International trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiguOy5ZFks

I might appreciate the one below more because it seems less spoily. Ah well, those of us reading this thread apparently already know the story. And it's cool to see more of the film. Lookin' good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MhQe8V8IXc

It looks more and more like that fanboy had his story summary right.

Last edited:
Yeah, that 3 minute trailer reveals quite a bit! Nice to see some actual creature/horror action. :yes:

13tumblr_m3a0wcuejk1r65xpwo2_500.gif

tumblr_m39yumq9fn1qmgxzbo1_500.gif

tumblr_m3ab8epirb1r94e9jo1_500.gif

original.gif

Yeah! Those are very cool grabs!

Also, I hadn't seen the IMAX trailer before. It's a pretty good one. Has an almost NIN soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf48vwja7JM

And we have to wait how long yet to see this thing? :cry:

:P

June 8th, I believe (US release).

Also, I hadn't seen the IMAX trailer before. It's a pretty good one. Has an almost NIN soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf48vwja7JM

Yes! I posted that in my original post and also a page or so back. That is my favorite trailer!

June 8th, I believe (US release).

Yes! I posted that in my original post and also a page or so back. That is my favorite trailer!

Hollllllyyyyyy....awesomeness. Really, I thought it wasn't until Christmas or something. That is great news.

I think I might agree about that trailer. It's short, but sweet, gets the job done without seeming to reveal too much.

Wow, so actually we don't have to wait much longer.

:joy:

Okay, I assume many of you, like me, have either recently watched, or are soon to watch "Alien", in preparation for next week. I just finished watching it, and the jogging of my memory really sheds new lights on the "Prometheus" trailer.

I recall reading, from numerous sources, that this is officially NOT being considered a prequel. I'm now convinced that that's a load of bull. With as many details as have become apparent, I don't see how this could be called anything other than a prequel.

One other note that I can't believe I've never commented on -- holy crap, they've really assembled an awesome cast for this movie! Can't wait till next Thursday!

I recall reading, from numerous sources, that this is officially NOT being considered a prequel. I'm now convinced that that's a load of bull. With as many details as have become apparent, I don't see how this could be called anything other than a prequel.

It is a prequel, but it's a different story on a different planet, 30 years prior to the events in ALIEN. Weyland Industries is still the force that builds the androids and spaceships.

PROMETHEUS opens this week, in Europe. There have been some prescreenings. I've read a bunch of reviews at Rottentomatoes and the consensus seems to be this:

A very good watch. Not as terrifying or as good as ALIEN or ALIENS, but blows away the other sequels and is the most "epic" of the bunch. Michael Fassbender steels the movie as the android, David. Noomi Rapace is very good, as are Charlize Theron (Weyland's company rep) and Idris Elba (as the captain). However, there are a lot of throwaway characters on the 17 member crew.

PROMETHEUS is loud (booming orchestral score) and has a lot of talking. Supposedly, it lacks the quiet moments that work so well in ALIEN. Reviewer scores are averaging between 3 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 stars. Supposedly, you will leave the theater with several unanswered questions.

Prometheus isn't a horror like Alien, it doesnt contain the same explosive action as Aliens. Altogether I found it quite disappointing, it just felt like it had no direction and no real cause for existance. The previous Alien films were so amazing partly due to the fact that they were simple and yet surrounded by mystery and unanswered questions. I find it odd that Ridley Scotts now trying to explain away all the mystery surrounding the Aliens and their origins. Whats next? Are we going to get a sequel to Blade Runner telling us whether or not Deckard was a replicant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgNinx_G_U#!

So, I read a review with a few spoilers, and it sounds like everything you need to know about the movie is in the trailer.

I am eagerly awaiting a midnight show Thursday night. Not quite AVENGERS excited, but still pretty jazzed. I loved LOST and pretty much everything Ridley has made thus far, so I'm hoping it at leas meets expectation.

I am going to see this in 3D. The trailer looked good with the depth and it was more dynamic than most of the 3D I've seen. AVENGERS in 3D (an upconvert) was good but not life changing. PHANTOM MENACE in 3D was meg. TITANIC in 3D was okay. This is one of the few that was SHOT in 3D so it seems like that might make a difference. The HOBBIT trailer in 3D was staggering.

How many people are planning on seeing this in 3D versus 2D?

Ray, I'm not saying this has affected your opinion of 3D, because I have no clue which movies you saw, or in which theaters. But if anyone else is listening, it is definitely true that not all 3D movies are created equally, and not all 3D theaters are created equally. To enjoy it, you really need to the best of both.

That being said, I have plenty of friends who have seen the best of both, and are still meh about it all, and I think that viewpoint is perfectly okay. :)

Back