PROMETHEUS Ridley Scott prequel

March 17th EDIT: new trailers:

Full Trailer (2 minutes, 32 seconds.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9aoKrycbI

International Full version, HERE.

IMAX Trailer: (I love the sound and editing style of this one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNZEyrAf_Q

Original Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPlqEcfyhg

promethesus-movie-poster-teaser-01-21.jpg

WARNING: Possible spoilers ahead.....

Due out in Summer 2012, PROMETHEUS takes place in the ALIEN universe, 30 years before Ellen Ripley was born. However, it's not really about the facehuggers, chestbursters, workers or queens. Supposedly, this is first human contact with the Space Jockeys (aka Harvesters, architects of the universe). And, I guess it doesn't go so well. Things get scary and rough for the humans and 1 or 2 androids (one is played by Michael Fassbender, who was Magneto in X-MEN: FIRST CLASS)

o-alien-elements-confirmed-for-ridley-scott-s-prometheus.jpg

Scott hasn't made a sci-fi film since BLADE RUNNER, but I sure can't wait to see what he does. As good as James Cameron's ALIENS is (see the extended cut! It's epic.), it was the dread, horrific tone of the first ALIEN that stuck with me for a lifetime. There's something so bleak and far away about it.

Last edited:
Should be interesting.

By the way, Scott just said he's done with 2-D. Seriously.

"I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. 3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that."

(http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scott-work-3d/)

Well, if he sticks to it, I must say I took the man to have more taste than that.

Supposedly, this is first human contact with the Space Jockeys (aka Harvesters, architects of the universe).

Have these terms or this background been mentioned in any of the previous Alien films?

I've found this quote attributed to Scott on at least a couple of different sites:

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.

This blog article is from February:
http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow...ars-the-air-on-prometheus-more-added-to-cast/

It sounds like this is not an Alien movie, but they don't want to lose the box office bank that the association with the Alien franchise might lend them.

Last edited:
Have these terms or this background been mentioned in any of the previous Alien films?

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Mala'kak

Looks like the name was a nickname the original production team came up with for lack of an actual name. According to the interwebs, the only name H.R. Giger had for it was "the Pilot". One of the best things about the series is it has focused on "oh, crap, how do we deal with this" rather than "where did this come from", but with enough apparent depth and hints at background that you can't help but think about it. Looking forward to the new film.

385387_173959279367804_111092022321197_309253_1778895672_n.jpg

It sounds like this is not an Alien movie, but they don't want to lose the box office bank that the association with the Alien franchise might lend them.

Ridley Scott said:

"It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle"

As for the original alien creature, he says:

"I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out."

"Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh."

The original script by John Spaihts was an "alien" movie. But, Ridley doesn't like doing sequels, so he insisted on doing something original, but in the same universe. According re-writer, Damon Lindleof, there is more suspense, if you don't know where the film is going. I like this approach, as it is very non-Hollywood and could be.....original. However, the tone will be very similar - "What I want to do is to scare the living shit out of you," Scott said, at Comicon.

"The film will be really tough, really nasty. It’s the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/09/07/ridley-scott-alien-prequel/

Scott also confirmed
that the film's title is the name of a space ship sent from earth by an all-powerful corporation of the kind familiar to fans of the Alien franchise. The mythical reference - in Greek mythology, Prometheus stole fire from the gods to give to man -- is deliberate.

379887_173957186034680_111092022321197_309248_1628559609_n.jpg

EW_prompics_4.jpg

253923_230566386983434_226871014019638_689672_1034292_n.jpg

Last edited:
Great links and info, Scoopicman.

I'm really glad that Scott isn't interested in making a prequel. That's how I'm interpreting what he's said. After the disappointment of the Star Wars prequels, that sounds like a breath of fresh air. Okay, so it's in the same universe. Cool! But I for one will be really pleased if it's far from being slavish about leading into the Alien movies.

Unlike Alison Nastasi, I do not have a problem with the aliens having been biological weapons. It makes good sense.

"NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way," Scott said.

Uh, I could probably do without that. I'm hoping that they won't make much of that, or do it so well that my qualms will be proven unjustified.

:)

"NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way," Scott said.

Uh, I could probably do without that. I'm hoping that they won't make much of that, or do it so well that my qualms will be proven unjustified.

Ha ha! Maybe, they got the Pope's blessing for this plot. Yeah, they better watch it or they might land in STAR TREK 5 territory! What's next, the Predators built the pyramids? Wait..... Oh, shit.

AVP_art10.jpg

:lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

If you like surprises, then don't click this POSSIBLE SPOILER link. Fox spokespeople deny it is, but I wouldn't be surprised, as a lot of what I've read seems like that. Kind of like this article about dropping the PARADISE title:

http://collider.com/alien-prequel-ridley-scott-rumor-control/64089/

Scott hasn't made a sci-fi film since BLADE RUNNER, but I sure can't wait to see what he does. As good as James Cameron's ALIENS is (see the extended cut! It's epic.), it was the dread, horrific tone of the first ALIEN that stuck with me for a lifetime. There's something so bleak and far away about it.

Ditto!

Good info, Scoopic. I'd like to think Ridley Scott won't fuck (too much) with Alien fans' expectations and will stick with the tone of the 1st film. Haunting, distant darkness....

Should be interesting.

By the way, Scott just said he's done with 2-D. Seriously.

"I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. 3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that."

(http://www.slashfilm.com/ridley-scott-work-3d/)

Well, if he sticks to it, I must say I took the man to have more taste than that.

Then I guess I'm done with Ridley Scott movies.

Star Wars. The Thing, and above all else ALIEN, is what got me into effects and pursuing this as a career from the start. I collect ALIEN stuff, my studio is decorated in ALIEN stuff.... needless to say I'm a huge fan. Im optimistic in what Ridley does... Supposedly the humans make contact with an alien race (space jockeys) and find out that they have seeded the galaxy and terraformed the planets, started life, etc.... The humans steal the technology and the space jockeys release their xenomorph creations to stop them.
Ridley had always said that the only way he would do another ALIEN film is if he was able to do it his way and explain where the aliens came from. Seems like thats what he's doing. I'm pretty excited about it.... 3D or 2D.

Ha ha! Maybe, they got the Pope's blessing for this plot. Yeah, they better watch it or they might land in STAR TREK 5 territory! What's next, the Predators built the pyramids? Wait..... Oh, shit.

:lol: Exactly.

But you know, that synopsis doesn't sound so bad. All depends on how they execute it.

I'm thinking that the filmmakers are pretty smart to maintain the mystery around this. Only builds interest and aniticipation. Damn I hope it turns out good.

I'm not so sure I'm interested in knowing more about the background, tbh.

Part of what made Alien so creepy was the unknown... the mystery of what happened on that ship. The movie lets us fill in the possible backgrounds of the drifting ghost-ship, the giant elephant-man corpses, why they even had the eggs there to start with. It let our imagination fill in the blanks, and the possibilities & speculation were endless. Also pretty terrifying, 'cos if these mystery giant elephant-creatures couldn't handle the escaped aliens, then what hope did a mere human have?

Kinda like The Force in Star Wars. That used to be pretty awesome. A pseudo-mystic magical thing that bound the universe together, and so alien a concept to us that only a few sentient beings in the entire galaxy could be taught to even begin to tap into its potential. Later on, in the prequels... well, The Force is just as special as a diabetic testing their blood-sugar levels. That sure removed a lot of the imagined awesome-sauce from the equation.

Anyways... just sayin' that maybe that some mysteries are better left unsolved?

Maybe. :cool:

I'm not so sure I'm interested in knowing more about the background, tbh.

Part of what made Alien so creepy was the unknown... the mystery of what happened on that ship. The movie lets us fill in the possible backgrounds of the drifting ghost-ship, the giant elephant-man corpses, why they even had the eggs there to start with. It let our imagination fill in the blanks, and the possibilities & speculation were endless. Also pretty terrifying, 'cos if these mystery giant elephant-creatures couldn't handle the escaped aliens, then what hope did a mere human have?

Kinda like The Force in Star Wars. That used to be pretty awesome. A pseudo-mystic magical thing that bound the universe together, and so alien a concept to us that only a few sentient beings in the entire galaxy could be taught to even begin to tap into its potential. Later on, in the prequels... well, The Force is just as special as a diabetic testing their blood-sugar levels. That sure removed a lot of the imagined awesome-sauce from the equation.

Anyways... just sayin' that maybe that some mysteries are better left unsolved?

Maybe. :cool:

And how. +1

Back