PROMETHEUS Ridley Scott prequel

Ray, by your standards, pretty much EVERY sci-fi was "written for idiots". There are very few that have ever been made that really stand up to the level of scrutiny being applied to this movie.

I'm certainly no idiot (I know that comment wasn't directed at me or anyone else). I have a degree in a scientific field, for crying out loud. But I'm also capable of suspending my disbelief and just buying into the imaginary world created for us.

I actually agree with Cracker on this one.

By the way, for anybody who hasn't seen it yet... do not see it in 3D. It's an absolute shame. But other than the crappy 3D, I thought the movie was pretty darn good!

I liked the film, much better than alot of stuff out there that feels like its trying to ask some tough interesting questions. But im going wait to give it the final judgement untill I see what comes next as atm quite a lot isnt clear.

Also I got a credit on this film :D under 'technical support" or something :D pretty chuffed its my 1st credit even if I played a very indirect role lol!

I can attempt a counter argument for all the points raised and questions asked (great points and questions I might add) but I won't on account of me not knowing how to do that cool digital redaction thingy that most have done on here. I am convinced that Scott made the movie that he wanted to make. Why are there so many holes in the story? Only he knows. It was still a pretty good story for me though (plus them visuals were plain awesome too - and I only saw the 2D version). Not having a go at the debate that is going on though as it is freaking awesome - just putting my two "Vampire Hunters" in on the dance.

Sam

I wish you would. Thankfully, there's nothing esoteric or technocratic about the digital redaction thingy here. The simplest way is to click on that button that says "go advanced." Then, look for that fourth icon in from the right that is an "S" and that looks like it's on a frame of film. Write what you want to write, if you haven't already. Highlight it as if you were going to copy and paste it, then click that "S" icon. The spoiler hypertext tags will be added around your highlighted text. Viola. =)

I liked the film, much better than alot of stuff out there that feels like its trying to ask some tough interesting questions. But im going wait to give it the final judgement untill I see what comes next as atm quite a lot isnt clear.

Also I got a credit on this film :D under 'technical support" or something :D pretty chuffed its my 1st credit even if I played a very indirect role lol!

Okay, so you know you can't just mention that and then not tell us, right? :cool:

Okay, so you know you can't just mention that and then not tell us, right? :cool:

:P i didnt do anything special, I just do monitor and projector calibrations for the VFX company that did the work on the film. As the company I work for were the main VFX facility (MPC) I managed get a credit. Like I said very indirect, but still chuffed.

I just saw PROMETHEUS for a second time. Now familiar with its flaws, I enjoyed this viewing even more. I felt like I got a better understanding of David, especially when Dr. Holloway kept saying that he wasn't a real boy (Pinochio reference I believe). He assumed that David could not be insulted or angry, yet I believe that David was full of hidden emotion. It was funny how he grabbed the billiard ball that Holloway was rolling around.

Six of us from the IndieMeet went and everyone liked it a lot. One guy said he enjoyed this better than ALIENS. Of course, he had read a few negative IMDB reviews, so his expectations were surpassed.

"Arms up!" :lol::lol::lol:

Ray, by your standards, pretty much EVERY sci-fi was "written for idiots". There are very few that have ever been made that really stand up to the level of scrutiny being applied to this movie.

I'm certainly no idiot (I know that comment wasn't directed at me or anyone else). I have a degree in a scientific field, for crying out loud. But I'm also capable of suspending my disbelief and just buying into the imaginary world created for us.
LOL!
Too many of them are - BY MY (HOITY TOITY) STANDARDS! :lol:

Nah, I'm perfectly cool with suspending my disbelief, but simple staffing issues are well... below? such mundane things and faster-than-light travel and such.

It's a good space horror show, just check your brain in at the door. :)

I was not impressed.

It reminds me of an old horror movie, "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things."

See what happens when they do?

There are so much greater stories on the Internet of Human Origins I would have preferred to see. I wish someone would make Gordon Michael Scallion's version of Earth Human's being the descendants of the Lemurians. Or, Planet X - The Tenth Planet, which may actually be a spaceship with the species that genetically engineered all life on Earth.

Sorry, it's just my POV.

I was not impressed.

It reminds me of an old horror movie, "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things."

See what happens when they do?

There are so much greater stories on the Internet of Human Origins I would have preferred to see. I wish someone would make Gordon Michael Scallion's version of Earth Human's being the descendants of the Lemurians. Or, Planet X - The Tenth Planet, which may actually be a spaceship with the species that genetically engineered all life on Earth.

Sorry, it's just my POV.

I've spoken to a couple of people who have seen it, and they say it's just OK. This is pretty consistent with what I've been hearing over the past decade - that there are really no good SF films - and I agree.

There has to be an opportunity for an aspiring filmmaker; there just has to be. Isn't it obvious???

I've spoken to a couple of people who have seen it, and they say it's just OK. This is pretty consistent with what I've been hearing over the past decade - that there are really no good SF films - and I agree.

I'm a sci-fi geek and there is a lot that I like including PROMETHEUS, which you should see for one of the best android portrayals, ever. I think most here would back me up about that part of the movie. For 40 minutes, it was near perfect and just astonishing. After that, it becomes more of a great looking B' monster movie. If you took the biologist and geologist out, it would be so much better. Another thing about it is it genuinely feels like you are on another planet.

Some sci-fi that I like a bit more than others:

CHRONICLE
SOURCE CODE
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
INCEPTION
STAR TREK
MOON (This title deservedly comes up quite a bit)
DISTRICT 9
WALL-E
OUTLANDER
TIME CRIMES
SUNSHINE
I also have a soft spot for PANDORUM, which has a pretty cool, double twist ending.

There has to be an opportunity for an aspiring filmmaker; there just has to be. Isn't it obvious???

Yes, but it takes some work. I've attempted a few sci-fi features in the past, with mixed results.
They really have to be near perfect to be accepted nowadays. That means slick effects, good acting, good sets and nicely shot. I think these two indies are good examples:

ENIGMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4c9Kgy_FnE

SOMNIUS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ98R5wanp8

Last edited:
If you took the biologist and geologist out, it would be so much better. Another thing about it is it genuinely feels like you are on another planet.
And Vickers, too.
Or keep them in and at least gave them meaningful points.
I become irritated when viewers complain about "too many" cast members.
I can keep up with the Ocean's 11 - 13 + opponents. Snatch and even Star Trek have multiple characters.
But have your captain act a captain, your science officer as such, ship's doctor, communications officer, engineer, helmsman, etc. Even the red shirts have their place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3cL1Aofy90

I saw it last night, and I think the plot twists were obvious. I also think, in one case, the two crew members, cut off from the rest, were obviously asking to get killed, because no one with any sense would have done what they did. Still, it's worth watching, so I would give it a B.

I personally believe Ridley Scott.would have been better off making a sequel to Blade.Runner and leaving Alien alone.

I have worse things to say about the film, but I won't. Contrived plots make me wonder why I wasted my money on such films.

MDM, nobody is going to be offended, should you want to share the reasons you didn't like it. There's plenty of room in this world for differing opinions on movies. :)

BTW -- Scott is making a sequel to Blade Runner.

Back