On indiegogo does asking what may be too much turn the audience off?

Will asking alot make people think less of the project? or does stating exactly what you are using the money towards
make it a non- issue?
I don't think the amount you ask for makes people think less of the
project. for me, I need to know how the money is being spent if I am
going to donate to a project made by someone I don't know. So stating
exactly what you are using the money towards is essential to me.

Although it is not the original question: if you know now what music you want to use, you can ask the owners what it would cost.
You can ask if you don't have to money yet. It will clear things up.

As for marketing: you'll need to know what strategy, what media and frequency you want to use. Know what running an add on TV would cost, or a printed add in whatever paper of magazine.
I don't know the 'title' of such a person, but transated from my language that person is a media planner: he knows where and how to buy exposure at what price and where you can get free press.
However that is often not the same person as the actual marketeer.
Whether you wantto hire suchpeople or not: ask a few to get a ballparc figure.

Asking is not the same as buying: it's a step towards a decision :P

... you dont know until the process begins how much it will be and you have to have some money to spend.

That's a bizarre thing to state! ALL commercial films are budgeted, then funded and then the "process" of making the films begins. You seem to be saying that you need funding and to start the process of making your film and only then can you budget?!

So i dont know exactly how much the music i want will cost with a very good campaign i may afford it or i'll have to give up a few song ideas

Huh? If you already know what music you want, why don't you find out how much it will cost to license it and add that to your campaign? If you don't know what music you will want then budget for a composer. How many no/micro-budget films do you know which use commercial music tracks rather than a composer?

... basically anything a student makes for a grade with no monetary gain has educational fair use.

No, who told you that? It depends on your location and local copyright laws. Most commonly, you can include unlicensed copyrighted material in a school/university project submitted for a grade and that would be covered by fair use. However, apart from just submitting for a grade and reviewing it in class as part of the educational process, you cannot distribute it beyond those confines and still be covered by fair use. You could not legally post it on Youtube for example or screen it at a film festival, regardless of whether any monetary gain was involved.

G

No, who told you that? It depends on your location and local copyright laws. Most commonly, you can include unlicensed copyrighted material in a school/university project submitted for a grade and that would be covered by fair use. However, apart from just submitting for a grade and reviewing it in class as part of the educational process, you cannot distribute it beyond those confines and still be covered by fair use. You could not legally post it on Youtube for example or screen it at a film festival, regardless of whether any monetary gain was involved.

G

We actually had YouTube flag one of our videos for this when we made a music video for an EDM song. Then instead of submitting our copyright licence for the song, we simply submit our academic id and a copy of our assignment and teacher feedback that clearly showed it was used for that assignment. Since then the flag has been removed.

Although it is not the original question: if you know now what music you want to use, you can ask the owners what it would cost.
You can ask if you don't have to money yet. It will clear things up.

As for marketing: you'll need to know what strategy, what media and frequency you want to use. Know what running an add on TV would cost, or a printed add in whatever paper of magazine.
I don't know the 'title' of such a person, but transated from my language that person is a media planner: he knows where and how to buy exposure at what price and where you can get free press.
However that is often not the same person as the actual marketeer.
Whether you wantto hire suchpeople or not: ask a few to get a ballparc figure.

Asking is not the same as buying: it's a step towards a decision :P

music doesnt work like that . its a negotiation with publicist and label

That's a bizarre thing to state! ALL commercial films are budgeted, then funded and then the "process" of making the films begins. You seem to be saying that you need funding and to start the process of making your film and only then can you budget?!

Huh? If you already know what music you want, why don't you find out how much it will cost to license it and add that to your campaign? If you don't know what music you will want then budget for a composer. How many no/micro-budget films do you know which use commercial music tracks rather than a composer?

G
no i dont have a commercial film. Second a music publicist doenst go and find out exactly how much a song will cost without hearing how much money you have and that your ready to spend it . I am not ready yet

We actually had YouTube flag one of our videos for this when we made a music video for an EDM song. Then instead of submitting our copyright licence for the song, we simply submit our academic id and a copy of our assignment and teacher feedback that clearly showed it was used for that assignment. Since then the flag has been removed.

hey i was curious about your kickstarter comment. I've heard that before. I was wondering if indie gogo is a bad platform for film or if kickstarter has more backers for film, or are films taken more seriously on kickstarter? curious which it is

hey i was curious about your kickstarter comment. I've heard that before. I was wondering if indie gogo is a bad platform for film or if kickstarter has more backers for film, or are films taken more seriously on kickstarter? curious which it is

It's more along the lines that Kickstarter in general has a larger user base. You'll get much more "stumbled" traffic to your campaign. As well a lot of campaign backers like to stick to Kickstarter because it doesn't allow the "Flexible Funding" concept.

Flexible Funding allows campaigns to take money immediately even if they do not reach their target goal. This provides the conflict that you still need to deliver the project even if you only get 10$ of your 10,000$ goal, as well people look at it as if you just want the money regardless if it's enough to actually make your product. This feature isn't on KS at all.

However, I think Indiegogo is great in the aspect that it allows organizations to legally apply Non-Profit Status to campaigns giving all the backers of the campaign a tax deduction.

It's more along the lines that Kickstarter in general has a larger user base. You'll get much more "stumbled" traffic to your campaign. As well a lot of campaign backers like to stick to Kickstarter because it doesn't allow the "Flexible Funding" concept.

Flexible Funding allows campaigns to take money immediately even if they do not reach their target goal. This provides the conflict that you still need to deliver the project even if you only get 10$ of your 10,000$ goal, as well people look at it as if you just want the money regardless if it's enough to actually make your product. This feature isn't on KS at all.

However, I think Indiegogo is great in the aspect that it allows organizations to legally apply Non-Profit Status to campaigns giving all the backers of the campaign a tax deduction.

right ok. I didnt understand the comment about still having to deliver your project. If the goal isnt raised the project isnt happening

no i dont have a commercial film. Second a music publicist doenst go and find out exactly how much a song will cost without hearing how much money you have and that your ready to spend it . I am not ready yet

That is not negotiating. That's feeding locusts: no matter what you have, they'll eat it.
In that case you're in catch22: you can't know how much you need and you can't explain how you will spend it.
Find a publicist who does give you numbers.

That is not negotiating. That's feeding locusts: no matter what you have, they'll eat it.
In that case you're in catch22: you can't know how much you need and you can't explain how you will spend it.
Find a publicist who does give you numbers.

alright but she gives me info for free. Your not going to find one that goes and barders the number just so you can say well thats too much. You have to work out budget first . havent done that for music

right ok. I didnt understand the comment about still having to deliver your project. If the goal isnt raised the project isnt happening

Not exactly true. True on Kickstarter. But not on all Indiegogo projects... Indiegogo's Flexible Funding is similar to GoFundMe.com except with a time limit.

Basically it's like saying that you don't NEED the money to complete the project, but it could make it better.

Short Answer: Flexible Funding = No no.

Not exactly true. True on Kickstarter. But not on all Indiegogo projects... Indiegogo's Flexible Funding is similar to GoFundMe.com except with a time limit.

Basically it's like saying that you don't NEED the money to complete the project, but it could make it better.

now would you explain this quote exactly haha

the last thing you said . = no no?

A no no? It's like child talk for a bad thing. Like touching the stove is a "no no".[/QUOTE

if you said a no no i would've got it. haha. Are you saying theres a common disrespect or disinterest. I mean i'm confident in my campaign but you rather get a little or nothing . You never know

I don't give to flexible funding campaigns unless they've already surpassed, or they're already very close to hitting, their goal. If your campaign is for $20K, I assume that's what you need to make the film you're trying to sell to me. You may say you can make the film for $10K, but it won't be the same film I signed up for when I originally gave to your campaign. That's not fair on your backers. Stick with fixed funding.

I didn't ask if you are making a commercial film, I was responding to your assertion that it's not possible to cost out your music licensing requirements until after you've already got funding and have started making your film, by pointing out that it obviously is possible (!) because all commercial filmmakers do it as standard practise.

If I were to give to your campaign, I'd want to know that you had a decent and realistic plan for how to spend the funds you raise and achieve your filmmaking goal. In other words, a broken down budget would give some indication that you had some idea of what you were doing and, the more funding you were asking for, the more I'd want to be assured that you know what you are doing. Your responses are basically saying that you don't know what you're doing, that you seem to believe it's not even possible to plan or budget certain aspects of your film and that you're hoping people will just give you money so that you can "wing it".

... instead of submitting our copyright licence for the song, we simply submit our academic id and a copy of our assignment and teacher feedback that clearly showed it was used for that assignment.

As I said, being a registered student at an education establishment and using unlicensed material in a course assignment is clearly "educational use" and therefore covered by fair use exemptions. However, even though the original purpose was clearly educational use, subsequently distributing that assignment publicly (say on Youtube) is not! I know quite a lot of film and music tech students do publicly post their assignments and generally get away with it but they get away with it not because what they are doing is legal but because the copyright holders have decided (for whatever reason) not to enforce their rights.

G

I didn't ask if you are making a commercial film, I was responding to your assertion that it's not possible to cost out your music licensing requirements until after you've already got funding and have started making your film, by pointing out that it obviously is possible (!) because all commercial filmmakers do it as standard practise.

If I were to give to your campaign, I'd want to know that you had a decent and realistic plan for how to spend the funds you raise and achieve your filmmaking goal. In other words, a broken down budget would give some indication that you had some idea of what you were doing and, the more funding you were asking for, the more I'd want to be assured that you know what you are doing. Your responses are basically saying that you don't know what you're doing, that you seem to believe it's not even possible to plan or budget certain aspects of your film and that you're hoping people will just give you money so that you can "wing it".

As I said, being a registered student at an education establishment and using unlicensed material in a course assignment is clearly "educational use" and therefore covered by fair use exemptions. However, even though the original purpose was clearly educational use, subsequently distributing that assignment publicly (say on Youtube) is not! I know quite a lot of film and music tech students do publicly post their assignments and generally get away with it but they get away with it not because what they are doing is legal but because the copyright holders have decided (for whatever reason) not to enforce their rights.

G

films arent all done the same way. Because some are creative. Creativity doesnt have one process. And sorry your wrong i've been doing this. What commercial songs have you bought? You cant find out exact prices until a music budget is in place. Which i dont have ok got it . good

Back