On indiegogo does asking what may be too much turn the audience off?

for example you might not be sure what some things may cost yet: ie: marketing or music.

Will asking alot make people think less of the project? or does stating exactly what you are using the money towards
make it a non- issue?

thank you

does asking what may be too much turn the audience off?

No, it doesn't.

does stating exactly what you are using the money towards make it a non- issue?

It depends. For instance, on media projects, asking for funding for capital expenditure tends to fail.

I don't think you need to state exactly what the money will be spent on, it's ok to just give people a rough idea, but at the same time you want to give the impression you know what you're talking about.

I think before asking for money you should have done your homework and have a rough idea of how much things are going to cost you? How much will you need for music? How much will you need for marketing?

The more sure of yourself you are and the more professional you present yourself than the more likely people will want to contribute.

I'd say don't go asking for money until you know how you want to spend it.

I don't think you need to state exactly what the money will be spent on, it's ok to just give people a rough idea, but at the same time you want to give the impression you know what you're talking about.

I think before asking for money you should have done your homework and have a rough idea of how much things are going to cost you? How much will you need for music? How much will you need for marketing?

The more sure of yourself you are and the more professional you present yourself than the more likely people will want to contribute.

I'd say don't go asking for money until you know how you want to spend it.

i do know what its for but you cant always know how much since you cant start the process of music for example until you have money in place. You cant find out before how much.

I assume once your goal is reached people stop contributing?

i do know what its for but you cant always know how much since you cant start the process of music for example until you have money in place. You cant find out before how much.

I assume once your goal is reached people stop contributing?

It seems you don't know much about the IGG structure? I'd highly recommend spending a few months researching just what the platform is and what makes a successful one.

----

Once you reach your goal, you've funded. Then you supply them with a few higher goals known as Stretch Goals, these are things you promise to make even better about your project in exchange for more money.

Also, yes you can ask for too much money. If you were to task 15k for a comedy short film, I'd most likely question if you even know what you're spending the money on. As well if you asked anything above that I'd question you. First IGG? I'd be concerned if you went double digit into the thousands at all. The 1-3k region makes a perfect first campaign. From there you can jump to 5-10k. Heck if you make an amazing project out of that 1-3k campaign people will be much more likely to back you for an even higher goal. Possibly even a 50k feature if you really prove your worth to them.

On an unrelated note, Kickstarter is a much bigger and better platform. People have much more trust in the projects that come through there. Somewhat because a majority of people have feelings against Flexible Funding.

It seems you don't know much about the IGG structure? I'd highly recommend spending a few months researching just what the platform is and what makes a successful one.

----

Once you reach your goal, you've funded. Then you supply them with a few higher goals known as Stretch Goals, these are things you promise to make even better about your project in exchange for more money.

Also, yes you can ask for too much money. If you were to task 15k for a comedy short film, I'd most likely question if you even know what you're spending the money on. As well if you asked anything above that I'd question you. First IGG? I'd be concerned if you went double digit into the thousands at all. The 1-3k region makes a perfect first campaign. From there you can jump to 5-10k. Heck if you make an amazing project out of that 1-3k campaign people will be much more likely to back you for an even higher goal. Possibly even a 50k feature if you really prove your worth to them.

On an unrelated note, Kickstarter is a much bigger and better platform. People have much more trust in the projects that come through there. Somewhat because a majority of people have feelings against Flexible Funding.

I dont know what an igg structure is but you obviously dont know how much it is for one song in a feature film. 1-3 thousand alone

----

per song. And there's no amazing projects being made for that . sorry.

you obviously dont know how much it is for one song in a feature film. 1-3 thousand alone

David perhaps you can explain this more clearly, it seems like you're contradicting yourself.

First you say you don't know how much the music will cost and then in your next post you have a quote for the price of how much music will cost :huh:

David perhaps you can explain this more clearly, it seems like you're contradicting yourself.

First you say you don't know how much the music will cost and then in your next post you have a quote for the price of how much music will cost :huh:

i'm told alot that i'm contradictive but no one on here has bought mainstream music for example haha. anyways what i gave is just a rough quote you dont know until the process begins how much it will be and you have to have some money to spend.

So i dont know exactly how much the music i want will cost with a very good campaign i may afford it or i'll have to give up a few song ideas

I dont know what an igg structure is but you obviously dont know how much it is for one song in a feature film. 1-3 thousand alone

IGG is the acronym for IndieGoGo. And it sounds like you are wanting to license music? I'd completely drop that idea. A no name on crowd funding trying to raise money to add mainstream music to their feature isnt going to be accepted very well.

Find an indie composer who will do the whole thing for a grand

IGG is the acronym for IndieGoGo. And it sounds like you are wanting to license music? I'd completely drop that idea. A no name on crowd funding trying to raise money to add mainstream music to their feature isnt going to be accepted very well.

at least its a good reason. This isnt a student film bud. I think your experience is a bit green and your age. This isnt my real name.

its much more stupid to give money to zach braff. the jew who has millions. A film is made better by music and sometimes essential

i'm told alot that i'm contradictive but no one on here has bought mainstream music for example haha. anyways what i gave is just a rough quote you dont know until the process begins how much it will be and you have to have some money to spend.

So i dont know exactly how much the music i want will cost with a very good campaign i may afford it or i'll have to give up a few song ideas

I think you could ballpark it and then if you fall short replace 1 or 2 of the mainstream songs that have a weaker impact.

at least its a good reason. This isnt a student film bud. I think your experience is a bit green and your age. This isnt my real name.

1) Student films have fair use to use any music we want... I could put Aerosmith in my shorts if I want...

2) You don't know a thing about my experience.

3) What does my age have to do with anything? You don't even seem to understand the platform.

4) Sorry for trying to help.

5) I've seen student films at month 8 that are better than what most indies make after "10 years of experience "

6) Why would I assume that's your real name?

1) Student films have fair use to use any music we want... I could put Aerosmith in my shorts if I want...

2) You don't know a thing about my experience.

3) What does my age have to do with anything? You don't even seem to understand the platform.

4) Sorry for trying to help.

5) I've seen student films at month 8 that are better than what most indies make after "10 years of experience "

6) Why would I assume that's your real name?

i' m not making a short. i wouldnt ask for financial help for a short

thanks anways

I'm curious about this statement. Can you point to any reliable resource
that backs it?

I know you hate being challenged so I'll say up front that I am NOT
challenging you. I am sure you are absolutely correct. I'm very interested
in copyright and music rights in regard to movies and I've spoken to several
lawyers about "fair use". As far as I understand it "fair use" does not mean
a student can use any music they want. I am likely wrong so I'd be grateful
if you could point to a source that I can use in the future.

i' m not making a short. i wouldnt ask for financial help for a short

thanks anways

You're very word picky.

Anyways, a feature okay. One that is going to need licensed music. The chance of success in a campaign goes down as the goal goes up. I'd say go with Kickstarter to have a higher base to reach. Go for the bare minimum you can make the movie for without thinking of music etc... 20k is Pushing it. Then when you reach that make stretch goals for licensed music.

I'm curious about this statement. Can you point to any reliable resource
that backs it?

I know you hate being challenged so I'll say up front that I am NOT
challenging you. I am sure you are absolutely correct. I'm very interested
in copyright and music rights in regard to movies and I've spoken to several
lawyers about "fair use". As far as I understand it "fair use" does not mean
a student can use any music they want. I am likely wrong so I'd be grateful
if you could point to a source that I can use in the future.

I'll message you a link later tonight. But basically anything a student makes for a grade with no monetary gain has educational fair use.

A film is made better by music and sometimes essential

True, but it's far more important that your feature looks and sounds professional. That should be the priority.

If it costs 1-3 grand (I would have thought considerably more even, though I guess it may depend on the song and the duration) to use a licenced song and you plan to use a handful of them, well then obviously that is going to add thousands onto your project, and it will be up to you to prove your project is going to be worth all the cost.

Personally, I think using the music licensing as a stretch goal on Kickstarter is a great idea, or even conducting another fundraising campaign once the film has actually been shot and you have something to show people.

its much more stupid to give money to zach braff. the jew who has millions.

I'd probably avoid using comments like this in your campaign too. Kind of makes you sound borderline racist.

Best of luck with it. :)

Back