• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Of Consequence"

Nice work, Steve.

As others have said, the shots are superb, camera work is first rate.

Interesting story to fit into 5 minutes, I know how hard it can be to fit a complete beginning-middle-ending in such a confined space but you did it very well.

The lighting is noteworthy. Lighting for color films is tricky at best, but to get the full range between black and white is even more difficult. Your lighting crew did a splendid job!

Hi Zensteve:

I loved it. In Screenwriting, they will throw in the trash if the first 10 pages doesn't grab you. Your short grabs you in and makes you wish it were longer.

I am here to learn and your short teaches how it is done.

Bravo,

Satire

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Hawkins ( Dave ) well thanks man. Its always fun working with you and Steve.
I just wish you were able to keep taking the acting classes with Steve and I. We miss you in the classes. I hope to work with you again on another project that Steve starts.

We seem to work well with each other. And besides I work with you alot. So make make its easy for me and the other actors too. I like to work with you and Steve because evrytime we all sit down for a table read. You as a actor have something new all the time and Steve above all, always brings in new Ideas along with his new stories.

I learn something new from you ( as a Actor ) everytime We sit down and start going over the storie,

And I always learn from Steve. I always learn one of the most Critical things a actor must know " Character "..... Know your Character. Steve always sits down and goes over the character. Making sure we know evrthing about the Character we are playing.

" Know your Character, Know everything about him / her, Know the likes and dislike of who you are playing, The WHO,WHAT,WHERE,WHY,WHEN,HOW, feelings , thoughts of the Character. Then you'll see, your not being an Actor "ACTING " the role out. You are and you'll become that PERSON / CHARACTER......that you are playing. Just add that texture of who """"" YOU ARE """""" and knowbody will ever beable to match it "

Mikel Arvizu

Take care Dave and Steve, And we"ll see each other on the Next project

Yes, Mikel. Very important to "know" your character. :)

Not spilling the beans on the next project yet, mind you.

in my opinion one word sums up this piece - beautiful.

yet concurrently ugly and brutal.

i really liked this. as a bartender i can relate to the poor fella. oh, the stories we tenders could tell......

i found this piece enthralling. well acted, powerfully executed and above all
very charismatic.
well done to all involved (and bartenders the world over for keeping the worlds affairs secret)

Apparently some people using Macs are having their browsers crash when coming to the thread.

Replaced the embedded video with a plain link to it... in case that was causing the problem. :cool:

Awesome short, Zen. It gets my vote!

Pros: Amazing cinematography and acting. Good script.

Cons: Audio (but you know that), could use some music, and I could tell that the movie had been cut way down. The end had sort of awkward timing.
The wife died immediately, and then there was no time to let that death sink in or even be confirmed with a pulse or anything. Then the movie ended...that'll probably all be fixed in the director's cut...

...Again, awesome cinematography and give the players my props!

I'm glad you guys liked the cinematography, although I do remember certain individuals laughing when I was 'apparently' holding the camera backwads and upsidedown...

Hey, I really enjoyed the film. There was some good framing and the lighting was pretty good. Overall quality performances too, can't ask for much more.

I think the only thing that got me was
when the girl's head hits the bar
. It just didn't look too convincing, almost like her head was just laying there on the bar.

Also, I'm a fan of the tracking shot, but to me it seemed the camera was too far away from the actors as they entered for it to be very effective. Rollerblades are probably not the best choice when filming in such a tight area either. A chair on rollers or simply wearing tennis shoes and operating the camera with a steady hand probably would have sufficed. I've gotten some incredibly smooth shots using both methods.

But besides that, I'd like to see it once the audio's cleaned up, it was really well done.

Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Loy:

Yes, I've never done a shot like that before. It's going to look pretty similar in the final version... we did a few takes, but all from the same angles as shown so I'm not sure how much more realistic I can make it. I think the most I can do is play with the timing on it a bit. (and add a better sound-effect than an orange being dropped onto the floor) :lol:

It's interesting you mention the "far away". We tried that intentionally to give the illusion that the bar was bigger than it really was. Start with the far away look, then redo it closer up (and from different angle)... overlap the footage. I think it was effective in adding some imaginary distance from the door to the bar-counter. Did it look a little awkward? Maybe it does. I'll examine it again when I get down to re-editing it.

_______

Logan:

Thanks for the vote. :)

The end of the re-edit will definitely have some of the elements you mentioned. There's actually a decent amount of straight material to place in, as well as some sneakier things...

Good call on needing music, too. I'll be looking for a symphonic composer when this is done... if you watched HailKing's or Bophe's entry, you can easily see how much more a good score can add.

_______

Zoolio:

Thanks for the kind comments! :)

_______

Satire:

I'm glad you enjoyed the story so much.

The boards here are really a great place to learn so many aspects of what goes into a film... and like you, I look to learn more about the craft every day here. I'm no teacher; I just apply what I have picked up on the boards from the many people here who share their knowledge.

You should have a crack at this competition the next time it rolls around! It's fun, it's hands-on experience... and that's the best type of learning one can ever hope for.

_______

Spaulovich:

I was exceptionally lucky to have Lenny & Vito there to do the lighting. They ended up on that, after my original two crew members failed to show up... talk about a blessing in disguise!

_______

Thank you for all the comments so far, people.

Don't forget to cast a vote at some point for your favourite entry (be sure to watch them all first... a lot of people have put a lot of time, energy and effort into each entry... it would be a shame to miss another peer's work)

:P

Zensteve said:
It's interesting you mention the "far away". We tried that intentionally to give the illusion that the bar was bigger than it really was. Start with the far away look, then redo it closer up (and from different angle)... overlap the footage. I think it was effective in adding some imaginary distance from the door to the bar-counter. Did it look a little awkward? Maybe it does. I'll examine it again when I get down to re-editing it.

I think that strategy worked well. The only far away shot that I felt should have been closer was the
"Miguelllll!"
line by dament.
I realize the point of the shot was the appearance of the ground smoke, so I think that was a filmmaker's decision that should stay.
I'm just saying that was the only one I noticed as being something i would have done differently.

Poke

Zensteve said:
if you watched HailKing's or Bophe's entry, you can easily see how much more a good score can add.

Bophe had an AMAZING song! and Hail's had such a moving piece!
But Sandwich had GONGS! C'mon!

Ok... ok... ok... it was a looping program! But still! Took a darn long time to get those tracks synched and made!

Ok... ok... ok... It took very little time... but it took a long time to FIND the free loops...

Ok... ok... ok... They were Fruit Loops.

Ok- I'm an idiot. But seriously Zen, I'd love to see "Of C." with a score! Go the distance!

I meant no slight, good Spatula. :)

Your track is very impressive too... I limited what I mentioned to the tunes that qualify for the Score Prize, though. (I hope I didn't miss any)

Using loops to generate tracks still takes a great deal of skill, indeed. If it makes you feel any better, I can't even do that do that... for my opening theme, I told SmartSound to auto-magically generate a classical piece lasting 40 seconds... that's about the limit of my musicianship. :lol:

Zensteve said:
I told SmartSound to auto-magically generate a classical piece lasting 40 seconds...

Must.. get... that... program...

Poke said:
Making a score out of Fruit Loops is no easy task.

I threw in a few Lucky Charms and it all worked out in the end. :)

Last edited:
Back