My indietalk project

The good news is that I did get started on it.. I also got an offer from my best friends fiancé to help write it, very nice of her. I will take her up on that, hopefully it doesn't end as poorly :D. She's attending school for screen writing but I don't know how far along she is in the curriculum

Nice x2! :)

When your script is done - this weekend, right? - find a few people whose opinions you trust to politely and constructively rip it to shreds; perhaps a few other people from right here on IndieTalk in keeping with your IT theme/format. Then quickly rewrite, get a few more comments, rewrite again and get busy; you're under a time constraint, correct?

And, of course, I have to ask... What's the deal with production sound?

He finished his last weekend.. so I spent this past week writing it instead. I got my friends wife to help out, and she had a couple of ideas I really liked, but it was still very much my project. It turned out to be extremely useful even just having her as a sounding board. It was also very interesting in that she had a stream of consciousness style of writing and I was a lot more methodical and structured.

Production sound is being recorded with a Rode NTG-3
We did a test on location last week and the dialogue was absolutely beautiful!! The only complaint is that you can hear all the crickets in the woods.

If you want, you can send me what you have and I'll see what I can do.

I didn't want to waste your time without following through as much as I could on my own. As it turned out, I am more than just satisfied with the script, I'm actually proud! What a relief. My length ended up being a mere 5 pages (rather than 27), much more managable and fun

I want you to know that I really appreciate this offer!! Just having the opportunity available to me relieved a lot of stress and made last week go easier!! Thank you very much, if you aren't averse to the idea I would even like to give you a special thanks in the credits to show I mean it :)

volunteering your time like that isn't something i take lightly. at this point we film on wednesday so there's probably not enough time for meaningful feedback. I didn't get a draft i was happy with until friday

Last edited:
Sounds like things are going smoothly for the most part. So far, so good :cool:

Production sound is being recorded with a Rode NTG-3
We did a test on location last week and the dialogue was absolutely beautiful!! The only complaint is that you can hear all the crickets in the woods.

That's a problem. Is the scene shot indoors or outdoors? Because the sound of the crickets with the dialogue is going to make audio editing a pain in the @$$. Why? Because every time you cut to another shot and/or make a spilt in an audio clip, the sound of crickets is either going to change or abruptly end/begin.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...

Sounds like your script has turned out very well! It's good to be proud and confident about your work.

Well, good luck! :cool:

SThat's a problem. Is the scene shot indoors or outdoors? Because the sound of the crickets with the dialogue is going to make audio editing a pain in the @$$.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...

Sounds like your script has turned out very well! It's good to be proud and confident about your work.

Ugh.. is it really not a simple thing to eliminate the chirping sounds in post?

Film location is outdoors.. surrounded by a ton of trees
pool_zpsc36e1eb6.jpg

It was a bit of a rush trying to do a pool party scene before the weather drops. But yes I am so relieved and satisfied.. what a dumb thing I did, spending so many months on a 3-page script then suddenly I have a cast and crew for a different project without any script lol. I don't know how people are supposed to put out one short a month

Ugh.. is it really not a simple thing to eliminate the chirping sounds in post?

I thought that you said that there is chirping heard in the dialogue recordings/tests. I could imagine it to be slightly difficult to separate the chirping from the dialogue. But I could be wrong.

I don't know how people are supposed to put out one short a month

I wonder how Ryan Connolly puts out two short films/tutorials a week and a 10-15 movie review show every week. It amazes me.

I thought that you said that there is chirping heard in the dialogue recordings/tests. I could imagine it to be slightly difficult to separate the chirping from the dialogue. But I could be wrong.

Well I hope you're wrong! Because I want this to be easy :)
Yes the chriping is there, but just imagine if I were filming at night, with all the cicadas we have in MD right now. It's almost deafening after dusk.

Counting my blessings.. Another one good thing I have going for me here is that it is a PARTY. And so I am going to have music playing nearly the entire time. It'll hopefully drown out the insects.

People record all kinds of horror films in the woods and nature. Do you have to pop off a couple shotgun rounds first to shut them up? Maybe entice a lion into hunting.. What shuts up wildlife reliably ? haha I need that "quiet.. too quiet" sound

I wonder how Ryan Connolly puts out two short films/tutorials a week and a 10-15 movie review show every week. It amazes me.

He must have a nice team behind him.
How did he get his short films on IMDB?

Well I hope you're wrong! Because I want this to be easy :)

I hope I'm wrong too :)

Counting my blessings.. Another one good thing I have going for me here is that it is a PARTY. And so I am going to have music playing nearly the entire time. It'll hopefully drown out the insects.

That's good.

People record all kinds of horror films in the woods and nature. Do you have to pop off a couple shotgun rounds first to shut them up? Maybe entice a lion into hunting.. What shuts up wildlife reliably ? haha I need that "quiet.. too quiet" sound

Either locations without crickets, great audio editors, or ADR. Some big-budget horror films are shot on sets.

He must have a nice team behind him. How did he get his short films on IMDB?

He does have some pretty loyal people working for him.

I mean, really loyal. Willing to move to another state to stay on the show.

You get on IMDB by submitting your work. Because of his high-qualty content, large following, and internet fame, his films are on IMDB. If your film meets IMDB's criteria, they will accept it.

:cool:

awesome, I never knew how IDMB got it's content.
Now I just need to see if i qualify as Made by a (now) famous artist or person of public interest.

I do have an IMDB credit for a documentary I was in :)

Doing ADR for the whole short isn't going to happen. Hopefully the music covers it up

Great location. I loved that pool and all those trees surrounding it. Very nice. :)

Will you be uploading a password protected file version of this at some point (once post etc done) for us to view? Or a trailer? Would love to see it.

I don't know how people are supposed to put out one short a month

Are you familiar with Parkinson's Law?

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

We don't do once a month on a steady basis - but nearly all of our films are made in a weekend, from concept to completion. It's all about decision making. When you don't have to make decisions, you generally don't - so the more time you have, the more time you have to put off making a decision. Making a film requires making a lot of decisions, and the longer you take with each decision the longer you delay the next one and so on. Its the accumulated time of making all those decisions that can really stretch the process out.

So if you do want to make one short a month ( or just work quicker) you just have to set hard deadlines, shooting dates, etc. Don't try to figure out how long it will take you to do something - decide how long it will take.

And good luck with the short!

Great location. I loved that pool and all those trees surrounding it. Very nice. :)

Will you be uploading a password protected file version of this at some point (once post etc done) for us to view? Or a trailer? Would love to see it.

thank you! I built the script around the location, it's at my parents house. I figure there is no permit or insurance required, lets make a short there before it gets cold!!

wednesday i am shooting all the dialogue, and then friday I am going to throw a real pool party and intercut the footage so it looks like it's all going on at the same time.

I will definitely be posting for the regulars here to see! No matter how good or bad it turns out :D

Are you familiar with Parkinson's Law?

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

We don't do once a month on a steady basis - but nearly all of our films are made in a weekend, from concept to completion. It's all about decision making. When you don't have to make decisions, you generally don't - so the more time you have, the more time you have to put off making a decision. Making a film requires making a lot of decisions, and the longer you take with each decision the longer you delay the next one and so on. Its the accumulated time of making all those decisions that can really stretch the process out.

So if you do want to make one short a month ( or just work quicker) you just have to set hard deadlines, shooting dates, etc. Don't try to figure out how long it will take you to do something - decide how long it will take.

And good luck with the short!

I have fallen victim to that law on more than one occasion.. I've also noticed if I let something slip my mind and come back to it much later I have a different view and it gets even better.

I guess if you already have an assembled crew and actors then it wouldn't take as long. As my first short, I've had to organize everything from scratch. What a pain it was orchestrating everyones schedules! Yom Kippur this coming weekend certainly didn't do me any favors :D

Still, I wish I had another week or two just to seek out the right music. I want something like Ace Hood - Bugatti or Bassnectar - Timestretch.

Hope its going well.. I note you posted at 3 am, so good boy up early!

Thanks for your thoughts! I was up very late lol I didn't sleep at all, but omg did I need every last minute!! Thankfully I developed a complete shot list, plan and storyboard before we started.

Everyone showed up two hours late, one girl didn't show up at all. I banged on her door for 30 minutes (literally lol) until she finally answered and told me to F off. But I did my job as a director, I got her to answer the door. :lol:

It was starting at 10 and she showed up at my place 5am that morning on xanax wanting alcohol. Could have seen that coming that she was a flake but I figured I knew where she lived and I would get her there one way or another.

I got really lucky in finding another girl.. my leading lady had a friend that was just there to watch and so we got her to take the part. She was really shy but then was somehow awesome in front of the camera, I was completely surprised!!

The guy who was supposed to hold our boom canceled, so I had to do that while I directed. I've never even watched a tutorial on holding a boom pole but I shook the hell out of it in a couple of tests shots and built up my confidence. I did end up missing the twist a few times on dialogue and forcing a scene restart.

I didn't get to work with the actors as much as I had hoped, people showed up late but we managed to get in 95% of the shots that I wanted. I had no idea it would be this much fun to make a film, I've always been focused on the result and not the process.

We need to redo one shot because there was reflection of crew and cast in the window just standing there.. including me with the boom pole and no one noticed haha. Oh and one of my lines turned out to be super creepy haha, I just didn't realize that when I wrote it. So we might have to change that..

All in all it was great, we have another shoot tomorrow and I might have to cancel some of the fun parts to redo the meat&pototos but at least we will have a finished product!!

Back