ITOOFC 5 is here!

What genre of script do you want to work with?

• Comedy/Black Comedy

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Drama

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dramedy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Action

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Horror/Slasher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Science Fiction

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Detective/Mystery

• Western/Period

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also you can help come up with a name, instead of ITOOFC... like "The IndieTalk Challenge".

I LOVE THE TREATMENT SUGGESTION.

This allows the filmmaker to write in their own style, and I'm stoked to not be limited to a certain TYPE of film. (For example, I personally don't wish to make a comedy - that's not my thing, and I don't care to have a comedy on my reel.)

Cheers!

I don't really see what is so bad about using a single script.. it's an idea that was presented last year, if not even longer ago.. clearly there are a number of people interested in it. I think people are having difficulty getting their heads around the concept enough to realize that it's not like they are giving up any kind of control. It levels the playing field in a manner to better allow judging of film making talent (SEPARATE from screen writing talent).

Having judged two previous ITOOFC's, it was difficult to be "fair" because there were some that were good, some that were.. ok, and some that were just painful to watch. By focusing on the production element (directoral skill, shot composition, etc) and using a single screenplay makes it more likely that the submissions will at least be watchable. There won't be some with good stories, and some without.

Even saying that someone can have a screenwriter on their team is no good, because some may choose not to, thinking they're better than they are, some may work with a screenwriter who isn't that great, etc.

What happened to the idea of screenwriters submitting scripts, which would be judged, and then having the winning script be the one used for this? I know I've seen other people in support of this, in this thread and elsewhere in the past... I know I'm not alone here, but if I am, fine I'll just go off and not worry about it, however, I'm positive that I've seen posts from both the "Filmmaking Guru" and "Screenwriting Guru" in support of the single script.. among others.

I don't presume to have any authority here. Seniority doesn't matter, because there are many people who have been here longer than I, and many who have been here for a shorter time. Obviously everyone has different ideas (much like on a set) and someone, indietalk presumably in this case, has to make the final decision. I think I've argued my point enough, so I'll just leave it at that.

Another factor to this single script that hasn't been mentioned yet, which could be part of the difficulty people are having with it is this.. I don't believe the single script would necessarily dictate what kind of film it would be. For example, there are many ways in which to interpret a scene written in a script... Consider a breakfast scene. A woman makes eggs and toast to serve her family. This could be a run of the mill nothing special scene out of a drama, could be portrayed as a comedy, could be done as action. It's all in the interpretation of the words on the page. I suppose the same theory would be true of a treatment, but then that brings it back to what I mentioned before, but by working from a more narrowly focused subject (the same script, versus the same 'idea') better illustrates the stylistic choices (as I said in a previous post)

Would be nice to have some kind of decision made, and stuck to.

EDIT: Jmac: personally I'm not thrilled about a comedy either, but no one would be forcing us to use these on a reel.. ;)

Last edited:
I'm starting to lean toward my treatment idea. Screenwriters submit a treatment, the best one for this project is chosen, filmmakers write their screenplays (or have a screenwriter on their team) based on the treatment, and produce it.

I might be able to live with that...I too, like Spatula prefer to write towards what's at hand with a low budget, and more to what I know, rather than what I don't know, or worse, don't remember anymore!

I still like the idea of being able to link all the entries together. I think that too much of the same thing will put the judges to sleep, let alone the vast Indietalk audience.

Chris

Having judged two previous ITOOFC's, it was difficult to be "fair" because there were some that were good, some that were.. ok, and some that were just painful to watch.

Hey, I resemble that remark, and I agreed to pay for your new glasses, and a bottle of Tylenol anyway!

Chris

Hey, I resemble that remark, and I agreed to pay for your new glasses, and a bottle of Tylenol anyway!

Chris

My point, Chris, is that it wouldn't be "too much of the same thing" putting the judges to sleep as you put it in your previous post. It would be the element that puts them all into the same ballpark (same sport in some cases.. :lol:)

I'd like to hear what FilmJumper thinks of the treatment idea.

A final draft.

lol at me.
------

Anyway, I like this idea- you get a chance to write a script and then film a movie, even if they aren't the same thing. But there's the excitement of the writing comp, so cool. I'd really stress that I'd like to see some flexibility for the director to affect the ending of the script somehow- something to add our own individual signatures. It'd be like seeing the same film, only with multiple endings.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would work very well assuming we can come up with a good script from the competition. Taking an existing story and simply changing the ending could do more harm than good in the overall scheme of things but I see your point.

Having said that... Take a look at REMAKES. They NEVER have the same filmmaker's signature. In fact, take PSYCHO which was supposedly recreated shot by shot... Nothing like Hitch's. Not even close.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that we would see cookiecutter films from the same script. Every filmmaker is going to have his or her own take on the script... Different angles, lighting, etc.

filmy

I know, I know.. but I've not been very intent on shooting other people's scripts, because I write to suit the resources I have (ultra low budget). So if it's going to be simply a contest of tech specs, I'd loose- but having an edge on creative design (aka the script) would level the playing field. But I digress, and will start the mud slinging (where's Zensteve?) here and now: I'll beat everybody even if my film is just a shot of a toilet with dubbed lines over. Huzah! Here's to me!

I think budget should be one of the judging criteria... Just like regular coverage on a script.

filmy

I don't really see what is so bad about using a single script.. it's an idea that was presented last year, if not even longer ago.. clearly there are a number of people interested in it. I think people are having difficulty getting their heads around the concept enough to realize that it's not like they are giving up any kind of control. It levels the playing field in a manner to better allow judging of film making talent (SEPARATE from screen writing talent).

Having judged two previous ITOOFC's, it was difficult to be "fair" because there were some that were good, some that were.. ok, and some that were just painful to watch. By focusing on the production element (directoral skill, shot composition, etc) and using a single screenplay makes it more likely that the submissions will at least be watchable. There won't be some with good stories, and some without.

Even saying that someone can have a screenwriter on their team is no good, because some may choose not to, thinking they're better than they are, some may work with a screenwriter who isn't that great, etc.

What happened to the idea of screenwriters submitting scripts, which would be judged, and then having the winning script be the one used for this? I know I've seen other people in support of this, in this thread and elsewhere in the past... I know I'm not alone here, but if I am, fine I'll just go off and not worry about it, however, I'm positive that I've seen posts from both the "Filmmaking Guru" and "Screenwriting Guru" in support of the single script.. among others.

I don't presume to have any authority here. Seniority doesn't matter, because there are many people who have been here longer than I, and many who have been here for a shorter time. Obviously everyone has different ideas (much like on a set) and someone, indietalk presumably in this case, has to make the final decision. I think I've argued my point enough, so I'll just leave it at that.

Another factor to this single script that hasn't been mentioned yet, which could be part of the difficulty people are having with it is this.. I don't believe the single script would necessarily dictate what kind of film it would be. For example, there are many ways in which to interpret a scene written in a script... Consider a breakfast scene. A woman makes eggs and toast to serve her family. This could be a run of the mill nothing special scene out of a drama, could be portrayed as a comedy, could be done as action. It's all in the interpretation of the words on the page. I suppose the same theory would be true of a treatment, but then that brings it back to what I mentioned before, but by working from a more narrowly focused subject (the same script, versus the same 'idea') better illustrates the stylistic choices (as I said in a previous post)

Would be nice to have some kind of decision made, and stuck to.

EDIT: Jmac: personally I'm not thrilled about a comedy either, but no one would be forcing us to use these on a reel.. ;)

Gotta go with Will on this one... However, I also understand that some might not want to make a comedy, thriller, horror, etc.

To be honest, I would rather read a myriad of screenplays... Any genre. Then pick the best of the bunch. When we finally decide on everything, I will be HAPPY to provide a list of judging criteria so that everyone knows HOW their script will be judged.

Again... Just some thoughts here.

filmy

I might be able to live with that...I too, like Spatula prefer to write towards what's at hand with a low budget, and more to what I know, rather than what I don't know, or worse, don't remember anymore!

I still like the idea of being able to link all the entries together. I think that too much of the same thing will put the judges to sleep, let alone the vast Indietalk audience.

Chris

Whether I was a judge or not, I personally would LOVE to see everyone's interpretation of the same script. That wouldn't bore me at all.

filmy

I'd like to hear what FilmJumper thinks of the treatment idea.

To be honest, I don't like the treatment idea because I'm wondering if a great treatment could IN TURN become a great script.

I know several people here that do not write treatments but can, without a doubt, write a pretty decent short screenplay... Why? Because that's what they DO! LOL.

Treatments are not scripts and not a lot of people write them. So my take on it is that you would be asking someone not able to write a treatment to go ahead and write one when they could probably write a hell of a lot better screenplay.

The two no longer go hand in hand like they did 20 years ago... Most of the professional screenwriters I know don't even write treatments. In fact, when I'm asked for a treatment I fucking send them the first 10 pages of my screenplay... LOL.

Just my take... Will be happy to go with whatever we end up with...

filmy

Some indie filmmakers like to shoot what they write, and not shoot already written scripts. That's why I like the treatment idea.

In that case wouldn't what you said to Ladd yesterday apply? If they don't like it, they don't have to participate.. :) Also, nobody is saying they can't enter something into the writing portion of it, right? So why couldn't someone do both. If their writing is good enough, they should win that part, and then they can shoot what they wrote.

Ok, maybe I'm just being devils advocate here now.. ;)

Some indie filmmakers like to shoot what they write, and not shoot already written scripts. That's why I like the treatment idea.

I hear ya... And I don't have a problem with it going that way but then, why have a treatment competition? Why not just make a list of story elements and let it go at that? Then everyone can make any kind of story they want... Comedy, Thriller, Horror... Whatever.

We still essentially end up with the same thing and then each filmmaker gets to write their own thing... We also cut out the judging of the treatments... Then we can focus on a short script challenge a few months after this short film challenge...

But I'm cool with whatever... LOL.

I just drove 7 hours and need to BEER MYSELF.

filmy

Well so far I think the one script idea is the most popular. Yes, Will, the screenwriter of the winning script could also compete in the filmmaking portion. I hope there are more opinions, I'd like to get this part done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back