ITOOFC 5 is here!

What genre of script do you want to work with?

• Comedy/Black Comedy

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Drama

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dramedy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Action

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Horror/Slasher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Science Fiction

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Detective/Mystery

• Western/Period

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go that route, I think the filmmakers should be able to, at the very least, create their own title for the film along with some kind of an agreement that says each filmmaker has the right to submit it to festivals, online, etc.

The screenwriter(s) could still get the credit but this way, the film(s) have a little more longevity for the filmmakers...

I second Filmy's ideas.

I would also like to see the same script used. That way we can assure the film was made for this comp, instead of some silly way like having an actor use a prop or line of dialogue. If we try this idea, what length? 5.. 10 min.? Would anyone be opposed to filmy selecting the script? He is our Screenwriting Guru, so to me it makes sense. If we can decide on this, we can get the ball rolling faster.

I think a 5 minute short would be good...not overly time consuming for folks to participate, but 10 minutes would be more festival friendly when all is done. You can fit more story in 10 mins too :)

We can have the screenplay to be submitted be between 5 and 10 pages, giving the writer a little freedom.

Actually.. 5 minutes would probably be more festival friendly. It's easier for a festival coordinator to find 5 minutes in the schedule than 10. ;)

I also agree that 5 is a good length. A concise script can accomplish a lot in 5 minutes. It's less pages to deal with shooting-wise, and it might also be more of a challenge, because you've got to come out of the box with your A game, there's no 'warm up' time in something that length. (Not that there's much more in a 10 minute film..)

I'm all for Filmy picking the script. The question remains though, how specific or vague will it be? I think if it were a strong story, but a bit vague from the character and location standpoint it would leave more to be determined by the film maker and their team, which would probably be a little more interesting to watch. Either way though, using the same script feels like the best option, and it's certainly going to provide a more even playing field, from the standpoint that we'd all be working with the same material. In that way, all the films are judged on how well they told that story, and whether or not the judges liked the story told is irrelevant.

As a previous judge, I must say that some of the entries were hard to watch, simply because the story was unclear, or poorly formed. Taking that element out of the equation allows for a better illustration of directoral choices, and overall cinematic merit. Also, assuming it's a good script, the likelihood of the films doing well at festivals is much higher as well.

I would imagine the top 3 or top 5 (depending on how many are submitted of course) would stand to do well on the festival circuit, with the overall winner here being in a good position to have a great festival run.

That's my $.02. I'm looking forward to this, it should be fun!

I like the idea of having the one script with different variations- but I think there needs to be something to differ the films... how about the conclusions are left to the filmmakers?

Aka- if it's a 5 page script, the filmmaker writes pages 6 themselves. That way we'll get different endings for the same story?

Filmmakers should choose:
-Title
-Character Names
-Resolution

That's what I'd like.

I'm not sure conclusions should be left to the filmmakers, the films will all be very different using the same script and it'd be interesting to see each difference using the same exact script.

Ladd, if you are not interested, fine, but it's kind of pointless to post you are not interested when this thread is for ideas. The benefits haven't even been decided yet. I will work on getting good exposure. Example: The winning film could stream on the homepage for two weeks. I am going to come up with some more ideas. That's what this thread is for. :)

Hey Indie, I'm not saying I'm not interested. I'm saying I think it would be much better for all users to have a more traditional competition that doesn't require people to stop whatever they're doing in the real world to perform a circus trick for a couple of weeks.

I've read countless posts on this site about people who haven't gotten distribution for films, haven't gotten accepted into festivals, and so forth. There's a lot of good work that could be submitted already if categories were more traditional - as in, "Feature" and "Animation" and "Short" and "Music Video."

Frankly, I think you'd have a lot more submissions - with much higher quality - if you didn't restrict it in this manner. That's my two cents, along with my paid premium membership dues.

I like the same script or similar script idea. The idea is -- this is our competition, not their festival. We're flooded with festivals, and in turn the festivals are flooded with us! Back in the day, college course Production I the script was based on do-ability (no budget and simple), so we had a kind of internal compeition in the class for whose script would be the easiet to produce and then broke into small groups to produce it. Mine happend to have won. I wonder if I can find it around and upload it for you people. Or here's another idea, rewrite and produce a particular scene from a Shakesperian play.

Hey Indie, I'm not saying I'm not interested. I'm saying I think it would be much better for all users to have a more traditional competition that doesn't require people to stop whatever they're doing in the real world to perform a circus trick for a couple of weeks.

I've read countless posts on this site about people who haven't gotten distribution for films, haven't gotten accepted into festivals, and so forth. There's a lot of good work that could be submitted already if categories were more traditional - as in, "Feature" and "Animation" and "Short" and "Music Video."

Frankly, I think you'd have a lot more submissions - with much higher quality - if you didn't restrict it in this manner. That's my two cents, along with my paid premium membership dues.
This is not a film festival, it's a filmmaking competition, and it's the fifth one. Everyone who has entered in the past has enjoyed it. As far as an actual festival (online, or actual), that has been suggested as well, but is separate from this, and could happen also. Quality products have actually been a result of this competition, and have gone on to win festivals http://www.indietalk.com/showpost.php?p=53280&postcount=63.

I like the idea, but of course it all depends on the script. Once the script is picked, you'll see who wants to be involved.

Personally, when I read it, I'll be looking for one thing and one thing only: does it affect me? Regardless of a competition, one does not want to waste one's time on a project that will not showcase one's abilities.

That said, it is always quite intriguing to work outside of my comfort zone.

Bring it on.

OH, by the way, as this is the direction it seems to be going, can we start a poll of what TYPE of film everyone wants to make? That will help narrow down the script submissions.

Jim

I like the idea, but of course it all depends on the script. Once the script is picked, you'll see who wants to be involved.

Personally, when I read it, I'll be looking for one thing and one thing only: does it affect me? Regardless of a competition, one does not want to waste one's time on a project that will not showcase one's abilities.

That said, it is always quite intriguing to work outside of my comfort zone.

Bring it on.

OH, by the way, as this is the direction it seems to be going, can we start a poll of what TYPE of film everyone wants to make? That will help narrow down the script submissions.

Jim
Sure. I'll add it to this thread.

...I think it would be much better for all users to have a more traditional competition...
We're just trying something new this year, that's all. Previous ITOOFC competitions were traditional in the way you describe.

If the same competition followed the same rules year after year, it would start to get stagnant and interest may wane. Try something new. :)

First of all I am really excited that a new ITOOFC is now in the works. I like the idea of all competitors doing the same script. It will be very interesting to see how each person will be able to interpert an idea.

My suggestion at this point would only be that each filmmaker that wanted to participate be given the chance to see the script for overall logistics to be considered before commiting to particpating.

I really hope to be able to participate. I enjoyed last years competition, everyone treated me fairly with the critiques I received from the judges.

Signed,
Eddie

Words of wisdom: It takes more than a knife to win a competition -

and for those of us whose weak point is scripting?

Scripting is always the weakest area for indies -- which is the reason that competitions ought to encourage people to write their own scripts -- it's only by seeing what happens when what you write is translated into something you have to cut, that you get to see your strengths and weaknesses.

So, from that POV I'm with Ladd on this one -- but for different reasons.

But in the larger scheme of things what I really understand is this -- 98% of the spec scripts currently being circulated around the industry are unreadable (got this from a very reliable anonymous source).

In indie film making where there isn't the insistent financial need to reject bad scripts, the figures are even worse.

The reason I mention this is this -- I really believe any contest we run has to encourage people to become better writers. It has to challenge their ability to write.

So, what I'd like to see set is this:

You must write and shoot a film that runs exactly five minutes -- the film must have no more than twenty-five lines of dialogue, it must be high concept and must be split into four distinct acts. -- At the end of the film the protagonist must not only have changed, but have learned something.

All entries must conclude with a title page, which contains their twenty-five word, high concept logline.

Now, that's a real challenge!

There is plenty of info on four act structure already on this site -- Filmy's just given me a great definition of high concept I'm sure he'd let me post, and who couldn't do with some logline practice.

Over to you guys.

My vote would be original scripts, not one script. If you have one script I feel that you're in a actor/director/cameraman contest. It's not what was said, but how you filmed what was said, or how you said it.

I'd go for something similar to the project that was going around awhile back...everyone shoots their own interpretation of a similar concept (to steal one of the ideas) A film centered on a fountain pen that goes from one to the other to the other. Maybe I'll do a comedy with the pen. A guy finds in on the ground, picks it up and every time he looks at it the pen squirts him, or leaks in his pocket...but everytime he curses that, he looks down and narrowly misses being run over by a bus, or having a piano fall on him. What he thinks is bad luck is actually great luck. Someone else may do something about the pen giving them memories of their grandfather, or someone might do a script about the pen reminding them of a terrible time. All different, but all could be put together as a set.

I really liked that idea...make 'em laugh, make 'em cry all at the same time.

Obviously the pen idea is "stolen", so we couldn't use that. But there are tons of other linking ideas that could work. A chain letter. An event. A computer game. etc.

There's my 2 cents.

Chris

Music for your ITOOFC movie

My name is Fabio, I live in California and I am a composer.
I would lile to offer my services for free to anyone whom is interested in having an original soundtrack for this competition . My specialty is classical music but I can wirte any genre. You can check out my website:
www.musimax.com

Fabio SIRONI

Cell: 707-971-0100

How about using the same public domain short story as a seed for an adaptation. Archive.org has thousands of short and novel lenth texts that are all PD. Maybe someone can decide on an interesting short story and have everyone adapt it to their own version?

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back