ITOOFC 5 is here!

What genre of script do you want to work with?

• Comedy/Black Comedy

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Drama

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dramedy

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Action

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Horror/Slasher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Science Fiction

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Detective/Mystery

• Western/Period

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of one script, different directors. I'm in! I like that this isn't the usual competition with categories and filmmakers submitting their already finished movies. There are thousands of those out there.

I would LOVE the idea of not even know what script I'm getting. How exciting. Get a script in the mail and have (fill in the blank) many weeks to finish it. It would be a challenge to make a movie from a script I don't particularly like. I'm for making it even harder. Other than location what if we can't change a word in the script?

Last edited:
The phrase "Would you like to learn to fly? Would you like to see me try?"*

*if you get that reference you are my new best friend.

"Pink Floyd, The Wall" Song title I think is "Love Turns Grey" or "Grey Days"

I'm your new best friend!!! :):)

I agree about dialogue and phrases rather than a script, but I won't be filming this year- too busy.

I will happily judge again though, if ya' still want me.

This is a tough one. I'm inclined to agree with Clive. That would be one heck of a challenge he poses! (though I'm not sure 5minute shorts are capable of so many distinct acts?) I sort of like the idea of a single script too as long as it's a good script. I guess this depends on what we are trying to judge. Cinematography skills? Directing? Writing? All of the Above?

That said, I'm all for sci-fi. :) EVERY indie can do comedy - it's like THE staple of indie filmmaking. We need something more challenging I say... especially if we all do the same script. Watching the same jokes over and over and over again could get old really fast.

Writing a (exactly) 5 minute short with (exactly) 4 acts with (exactly) the same outcome will give us (exactly) cookie-cutter scripts.

No offense to anyone on their ideas, but my vision of ITOOFC 5 is that we can vote on a <5 minute script to be used, no matter the number of acts, genre or any other type of common theme. I believe this will foster more creativity in the submissions.

Just my $0.02; take with a grain of salt; your mileage may vary; yadda, yadda, yadda...

Final Draft Screenwriting Software is in!

More to come.

This is leaning toward the one script idea. Filmy will choose it. Now lets figure out the rest. The screenplay can be part of the competition as well, and can win a prize.

What better prize for a screenwriter than a copy of Final Draft? :)

A final draft.

lol at me.
------

Anyway, I like this idea- you get a chance to write a script and then film a movie, even if they aren't the same thing. But there's the excitement of the writing comp, so cool. I'd really stress that I'd like to see some flexibility for the director to affect the ending of the script somehow- something to add our own individual signatures. It'd be like seeing the same film, only with multiple endings.

Last edited:
I voted for a comedy as well. The people I work with have been dying to do a comedy. It looks like the one script idea has been chosen and I could go either way. One of my favorite aspects is the script writing, but I definitely think it would be cool to see the different versions.

Spatula: your interpretation of the script is your signature. That's the point.

I know, I know.. but I've not been very intent on shooting other people's scripts, because I write to suit the resources I have (ultra low budget). So if it's going to be simply a contest of tech specs, I'd loose- but having an edge on creative design (aka the script) would level the playing field. But I digress, and will start the mud slinging (where's Zensteve?) here and now: I'll beat everybody even if my film is just a shot of a toilet with dubbed lines over. Huzah! Here's to me!

So if we don't use one script, what do you suggest? What about same script, alternate endings? Or what about building a script around a chosen treatment? (hmmm, I like that) This would allow you to be the screenwriter, but the stories would be the same.

The concept of each filmmaker creating their own 'alternate ending' into an accepted script has crossed my mind. :hmm:

Does anyone remember the PERSON / PLACE/ THING association game? We could place multiple options in each category out for a vote. The three highest votes are what the ~10 page script will contain.

For examples (not to be used):

• PERSON: child / druggie / soldier / housewife / retiree / etc...
  • PLACE: woods / city / car lot / bathroom / car trunk (the Tarantino shot?) / etc...
  • THING: zippo / desk fan / severed Barbie head / posessed desk clock from hell / rubber poop / etc...
:yes:

I'm starting to lean toward my treatment idea. Screenwriters submit a treatment, the best one for this project is chosen, filmmakers write their screenplays (or have a screenwriter on their team) based on the treatment, and produce it.

I'm starting to lean toward my treatment idea. Screenwriters submit a treatment, the best one for this project is chosen, filmmakers write their screenplays (or have a screenwriter on their team) based on the treatment, and produce it.

I think you just answered your own question! :)

That would be good as well, because teams that work on improv/dialogue have a bit more leeway. Also, it'd be a neat exercise to write a 5-10min treatment, as opposed to a fleshed out script. Even more interesting to see how the final versions would differ.

We'll have this part decided on tomorrow, let's see how this idea is received by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back