• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch ITOOFC #4 Rules, Details, and Knick Knacks

IanH7976 said:
Does the concept limit the film to just a man/woman contacting the dead, or does the film just have to contain a man/woman contacing the dead?

Thanks,
IanH7976

It has to be a BIG part of the story. We would like it to be the main plot, but will accept it as a subplot if it's a big part of the story. The idea behind this requirement is to get everyone shooting the same concept and seeing what different plots and styles the different filmmakers come up with.

Zensteve said:
...also...

If a main character is never seen, but has substantial v/o dialogue... could that quailify for "Best Actor"?
smiley_redghost.gif

Since it is considered acting they would be eligible.

Poke

Sorry, I asked my question wrong, I was wondering if the concept allows for multiple people contacing the dead, or does it limit it to be only one person that the story focuses around?

-IanH7976

Well as Sir Poke stated:
It has to be a BIG part of the story. We would like it to be the main plot
So if you have multiple people contacting the dead, then it's probably the main plot of the story or at least a BIG part, right?

Then it would be accepted. I'd say GO FORIT

But Poke is the know all.

WOW excellent prizes Indietalk... great job. Almost worth putting something together for the qualified entry prize.

CootDog said:
But Poke is the know all.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

You can have multiple people contact the dead. That's an olay occurence.

Monkey maiming is okay unless it hurts a real monkey, but even that would be okay if PETA came on here and staged a nude protest...okay the new concept requirement in monkey maiming.

Poke

With such worthy competition, I have to create something, then if I lose (not bloody likely) it won't seem so bad.

I must say I do feel very much like a fish out of water as I'm currently in NE Ohio (a bit far from my normal filming habitat). I don't even know where to start...

I know Ohio has a great filming community, who's help I could certainly use (hint, HINT).

Where could I find some actors? Anyone have a greenscreen, boom, lights? Can anyone travel back in time?

I don't even have my tripod with me. But I do have a script and my camera! So, who's with me?

Ohio has a lot of film-action going on. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up, Flaviu.

(Wish you were back here in CA to help me... I need a good DP right about now) :blush:

I have to admit I am having quite a bit of trouble with this. This may be due to the fact that I am not very familiar with the genre - I watch very few horror films and it has definitely never crossed my mind to make one.

I am trying though! However, when I have an idea that I like (has some story and characters behind it), it does not seem much to qualify for 'horror.' Then, the more I alter it to make it 'horrific' the less interesting the story and characters become.

Now I have a script that I think would pass the horror requirements, but as a story, it doesn't do much for me.

Any tips? What's a really good horror film to check out?

Zensteve said:
Ohio has a lot of film-action going on. :cool:
I know. Anyone that wants to collaborate, let me know.
Zensteve said:
Looking forward to seeing what you come up, Flaviu.
Me too, because right now I have no idea!
Zensteve said:
(Wish you were back here in CA to help me... I need a good DP right about now) :blush:
I'm sure you can film it with a camera phone and it will still kick ass! Send me some food though! [Steve feeds his crew very well :yes: ]

Missed this one...

DirectorX said:
Just for kicks, would a sword be acceptable?

Since an argument could be made that a sword is simply a big knife, we will accept swords. But try to make it a smallish sword.

DirectorX said:
...when I have an idea that I like (has some story and characters behind it), it does not seem much to qualify for 'horror.'

Remember, the genre "Horror" is broad. If it's supsense, a thriller, scary in any way, chances are it will be acceptable. PM the general premise and I can let you know if it's a qualifiable story.

Poke

Last edited:
Boz Uriel said:
Is it the knife or the use of the knife that has to be horrific?
Poke said:
Either, or. I think if the knife looks horrific it has a leg up, but you could blow the competition away by [making the use horrific].

Wanted to give everyone a reminder that the use of the knife could be considered more horrific than some of the horrific looking knifes that have been popping up 'round here.

Poke

My two leads came over on Saturday to work on their characters. :cool:

Script still unfinished... but we'll be ready by the time we shoot on the 15th.

I just about made a film, but my fire breathing gypsys got drunk too fast. and now the renaissance festival is over, no more flaming gypsys :( Well, let me know poke if you need me to judge for ya.

Back