• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch ITOOFC #4 Rules, Details, and Knick Knacks

Boz Uriel said:
What is the difference between a horror film and a terror film?

Boz,

I believe that the generally accepted academic distinctions would be as follows:

Terror = When an individual or small group feel a direct threat to their safety, well being, or life. (e.g.: Cujo terrorized Dee Wallace and her son in the car.)

Horror = A broader sense of doom or dispair. (e.g.: finding a dead body on a dark road would not pose a direct threat to you, but you may feel a sense of dread.)

Schopenhauer School of Horror = When the cause of the horror is something that defies our current understanding of truth/logic (e.g: demonic possession, alien invasion).

Hope that helps!

John

So how far are people along with this?

Script done?

Actors aquired?

Locations scouted?

Permits in the works?

Film Stock/Tapes bought?

Sound check 1...2...check 1.....2...3.....4.....BOOM?

For me.. I have thought about the most horrific knife! Also the story is good. I just have to script it.

Ok good to know Poke. I have the idea for sure Id like to go with, I just bought a cheap mini-dv cam (interim before I go hi-def and 16mm - was considering 16mm but I dont want the extra week to send it over the hill for processing and telecine), and Ill see whether or not I can go ahead this week. It may not leave a lot of time for a score but Im usually very quick in the editing room so we'll see.

You know.. I have been thinking about this since my other post... I have got an interesting idea for this round of the ITOOFC... so maybe I'll try to squeeze a quick project into my hectic schedule, I guess we shall see, eh. :)

CootDog said:
So how far are people along with this?

Script done? Actors aquired? Locations scouted? Permits in the works? Film Stock/Tapes bought?

One entry concept/storyline is finalised, complete with actors and location.

The real entry is still being brainstormed. :cool:

You're right but...

Boz Uriel said:
In light of our contest here at indietalk, one of my brainstorming sessions sparked an interesting question.

What is the difference between a horror film and a terror film? More to the point, will my film be disqualified if it's a terror film instead of a horror film?

I was always told that in a horror film the audience is supposed to have sympathy for the 'monster'. i.e. Frankenstein's monster (later named Victor by a blind man) isn't out to harm anyone and the audience can sympathize with him. Dracula has a broken heart and a grudge against God, all he really wants is love. Both of these being horror films.

Freddie Kruger, Jason, and others have one goal in mind; kill people, die a horrible death and re-animate somehow at the last minute only to be killed agian and re-animate for the next film. These all being terror films where the audience sympathizes with the moster's victims.

At least that's what I've always thought. Anybody else?
Boz,

You're right but the genre has changed... DRASTICALLY. Using your definition, just about all TERROR films are now HORROR films... At least that's what Hollywood is calling them.

The CLASSIC HORROR will always be CLASSIC HORROR. They can't take that away from them and I will always respect them for what they have taught me...

The new horror is what you're calling a terror film however, I think for this competition, you could make either one and get away with it...

I really want to enter this one but not sure if I can find the time... I'm thinkin'...

Good luck to everyone giving it a shot...

filmy

Anyone need a composer? Let me know, I'm dying to get in and get my name on some projects. What a killer oppurtunity :)

C'mon, filmy! Jump on in! Call Hollywood back and tell them they're just going to have to hold the cheques until after the Indietalk Challenge!

Skankis- I've got one lined up, but I'm sure there's lots o' folk here who'd love an offer like that- ye kind sir!

We had a killer story idea (no pun intended... or maybe there was) and it would have been the champ hands-down. We plotted out scenes, got started on storyboards... then re-read the contest rules. I don't know what I was thinking - I missed the "communicating with the dead" concept requirements. Rats! Well, that'll teach me not to read contest rules on my opium day!

Oh well, back to the old electronic brain... tried to brainstorm but couldn't even manage a light drizzle!

I'm still floundering.
smiley_pac.gif

Slow down, peeps. :lol:

Well to let you all know... I'm going to fly to Florida and shoot some of the short there. I'll be using the set of the http://sticktowhatyouknow.com crew. In fact, we're putting the entire planning process online, in their forum. So for those of you that need some sort of boost you can see what we're doing.

Principal photography will be Oct 13th to Oct 15th EARLY AM since I'm flying back to IL on that day.

We're MAKING our own custom knife, since Liza is a wizard when it comes to all things being made, welded, crafted, etc.

If you want to see part of the set and the progress, you can go here:

http://www.sticktowhatyouknow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5426

And make sure to use your OWN ideas...

Sounds like fun guys. If we weren't knee deep in pre-pro for another project we would definitely be taking home your awards!

Just kidding. Wish we could participate.
Maybe next time around. Good luck everyone.

Does the concept limit the film to just a man/woman contacting the dead, or does the film just have to contain a man/woman contacing the dead?

Thanks,
IanH7976

Well my film isn't about the people contacting the dead, but it does have it in there.. It's an intregal part in the story. Without that scene the story wouldn't be the same.
My whole movie is about the knife.... but don't tell anyone :D

BUT Poke is the main answerer here... so wait for him to respond.

...also...

If a main character is never seen, but has substantial v/o dialogue... could that quailify for "Best Actor"?
smiley_redghost.gif

Back