IT Movie Club

I think this is a brilliant idea. I'll make sure to watch "Man From Nowhere" by the 2nd and I'll hop into the thread Chimp made to discuss with you guys!

I do think it was a smart choice to have the discussions in another thread. Yes, as Proton says, you can technically just skip to the end of this thread to find the latest films, but I think for organization sake, it makes a lot of sense to have separate threads. Plus, that deters discussion that's either early or late from previous or coming films from interfering with discussion of the week's film.

Cracker makes a good point, a week might be a bit too often... so I'm sure there will be weeks where I sit out, but in all honesty, with such a large community here, as long as the moderators for the discussions can keep them going, there shouldn't be an issue.

I'd also like to offer up a couple suggestions - (A few of these I actually watched in a college class where we had to discuss films, so they certainly have historical-film context and lots to analyse)

1. Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) - A fun psychological film to analyse
2. Glengarry Glen Ross (Foley, 1992) - A classic film with exceptional performances by amazing actors. It's especially interesting to take a look at because it's an adaptation of a play that happens in a real estate office and a diner, so it's forced to be very character driven.
3. V For Vendetta (McTeigue, 2005) - Everyone may have already seen this, but if you haven't, it's a wonderful film to discuss.
4. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (Roy Hill, 1969)
5. A Beautiful Mind (Howard, 2002)

Again, those may be films that we've all already seen, I'm not sure. I'll think of more at a later date, those just sort of came to mind. I'd be an advocate for #4 if there is a significant population of users that haven't seen it. I know it's available on Instant Que, and man, it's a damn good movie.

Oh, and I noticed we offered up some Mel Brooks earlier in the thread. May I also suggest either "The Producers" or "Young Frankenstein." Both are fantastic films by Brooks, and you'd be surprised just how much there is to talk about with them.

I have now seen the movie...I want to write so much but all I will say is....

That movie....was.....EPIC!!!!!

:lol:

Out of the suggestions mentioned I can watch Ip Man, Glengarry Glenn Ross, and Rear Window. I've really wanted to watch Rear Window for a long time so that's my first choice. I'd like to see more classic and foreign films since I've been trying to catch up on more contemporary U.S. releases in the past month and I want to go back to my favorite kinds of films lol.

My suggestions:
Rear Window directed by Alfred Hitchock
The Searchers directed by John Ford
The Gold Rush directed by Charlie Chaplin
The General directed by Buster Keaton
Fargo directed by the Coen Brothers
The Graduate directed by Mike Nichols

I'd add more eclectic and foreign films but I doubt they're available to all of us so I'll stick with these canonized classics.

LOL I think I can take it lol.

You don't understand...

brassballs1.jpg

I'm happy my Rear Window suggestion was taken well! I think that would certainly be a great contender to discuss - lots to talk about and it's a wonderful film.

And I think Glengarry Glenross is a possible watch down the road as well!

So what's the next film selection?

@Holocene
I would like to see Blue Is The Warmest Color it seems to be possibly the most important film released last year. It's streaming on Netflix now so I can give that one a watch. It's a bit long though, so I'll have to wait for the weekend or some day that I don't have any homework to watch.

Last edited:
So what's the next film selection?

@Holocene
I would like to see Blue Is The Warmest Color it seems to be possibly the most important film released last year. It's streaming on Netflix now so I can give that one a watch. It's a bit long though, so I'll have to wait for the weekend or some day that I don't have any homework to watch.
I think its around the 3 hour mark, but it flies by. It's such a beautiful film.

I think its around the 3 hour mark, but it flies by. It's such a beautiful film.

Yeah I'm sure it'll be a good film and not feel long, but I have to make time to watch these films due to schoolwork. I actually have to start getting used to watching longer films, I think that'll be my personal challenge this month lol.

Back