IT Movie Club

This is a movie club thread. Let's pick a new move once a week, watch it and post reviews of it.

This week's (week 9) movie is: The Man from Nowhere

MV5BMTI5OTQ5Mzg0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA0OTAxNA@@._V1__SX1617_SY859_.jpg

You can also post suggestions for the next week's film.

Last edited:
flight of phoenix,
not sure indie movie or not.
it didn't make well in market.
It had each and every opportunity to keep a compelling track , yet story flow seems to be pale.
It surely seems that writer has tried to create individuality in each and every characters , how much is he successful in it ? is the question that remains.

Again , I remember some one said,
It's better to sink TITANIC , rather than trying to fly phoenix in film industry
How much was that person right , not sure.
Is it even right to compare these two together is a question.

IT IS SAID TO BE NOVEL BASED , and 1964 and 2004.

Never read the novel.
Have any of the two movies have been in track?
If not , what made them go off the track(I like to know)

Anybody want to have a movie club thread? Let's pick a new move once a week, watch it and post reviews of it?

Keen!!!

Perhaps have questions for each movie such as..

What clever techniques did you notice?
What special effects if any blew you away?
What did you like the most/least about the film?
What would you have done different?

^Just suggestions^

I think it was Crackerfunk who ran the Movie of the Month club for a while. You can look up some of those threads, if you need some ideas on how to organise one. Or not. Either way, fun to follow. :)

I think it was Crackerfunk who ran the Movie of the Month club for a while. You can look up some of those threads, if you need some ideas on how to organise one. Or not. Either way, fun to follow. :)

Yep.

A quick search for "M.o.Mo" yeilds a few results. I can't remember how many films we actually ended up watching, but I can only seem to locate a few threads...

That's the catch right? Everyone has different taste.
I think everyone should watch the man from nowhere :yes:

There in lies the rub. What one might think is an epic movie might be boring as hell for others. I am hard to please when it comes to film so I am already having nightmares of people suggesting something and me just zoning out really fast.

You guys are potentially going to miss A LOT of useful production info if you don't listen to director/producer/actor/writer commentaries typically found on DVD/Blurays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Netflix no longer has commentary-track DVDs - they only get the film on it, to encourage purchasing of the DVD by the viewer? Pretty sure I read that here of this forum, a few weeks back.

There's a long-running Film of the Month Club elsewhere that's been reviewing/analysing public domain films, for years. Tonnes of great films available - more than you'd think. At any rate, that was their solution to making sure everyone had access to a common film without needing to buy anything outright.

Just ramblin' :blush:

You guys are potentially going to miss A LOT of useful production info if you don't listen to director/producer/actor/writer commentaries typically found on DVD/Blurays.

I was referring to the DVD availability, not streaming.
But yes as zensteve mentioned (and I originally pointed out as referred in his post) the new DVDs don't have commentaries anymore.. it's a "rental only" disc.

Rule for selecting the film: It should be available for rent in most of the regions (at least in the US, Europe and Australia), preferably on Netflix.

I think everybody has seen Source Code already and Dallas Buyer's Club isn't available yet. Haven't seen The Man from Nowhere yet so, unless there are any objections to that or other suggestions, shall we go with that one?

There's a long-running Film of the Month Club elsewhere that's been reviewing/analysing public domain films, for years. Tonnes of great films available - more than you'd think. At any rate, that was their solution to making sure everyone had access to a common film without needing to buy anything outright.

Can you send me the link to that club? That sounds like an awesome idea! :)

Back