IndieTalk Weekly Challanges Proposal

I did think of a funny "producer\pre-production" challenge.

• Make a movie, any length, any topic etc.
  • You can NOT spend your own money
  • You can NOT spend more than $5
  • You can NOT spend LESS than $5
  • You can NOT appear in it
  • You can NOT crew in it
  • And EVERYONE involved must be paid SOMETHING.
  • Your upload must include receipts.

You forgot:
  • You MUST have someone else write the screenplay and then "improve" it until it's unrecognizable from the original before production.

I'm down. Didn't have time for the Christmas one but since this will go all year j know Ivan participate in a few.

When I was younger I participated in an online art contest thing that had a great model. It was bi weekly, the winner of the last one chose the topic for the next. When the entry deadline for one project was over, the mod put all the videos up at once and started voting, and at the same time the next topic was announced.

Each "round" had two winners. Seeing it was an art contest, one winner was just what looked best, the other winner was "most creative". Some of the worst artists technique wise won that because they had a stellar idea, really evened the playing field. As far as who chose the next topic, it rotated. First contest was best artist won, next was most creative. It was possible to win both, each voter could vote twice in each category. Of course, there were usually 50-75 people participating each round.

Food for thought, it was a system that worked great. Does the board here do polls? Would be a great way to tally votes.

OK, let start with this process first of the month.

On the first Monday of the month I will pick the MACRO focus for this months challenge from the list below
  • Acting\Directing
  • Cinematography
  • Production Value (Audio\Video emphasis on Quality)
  • Pre-Production Planning
  • Post (Visual Visual Effects\Editing\Audio Mix)
  • Writing

Then with the post announcing the Marco focus for the month, we open up for ANY suggestions from anybody, for challenges in that macro focus. Good, bad, or stupid... all ideas welcome. Limit one per customer(?) Suggestions may be rejected that don't fit the macro focus, but that should be easy enough to work around if your clever.

On the first FRIDAY following the first Monday, the suggestion box is closed.
Those who have publicly committed to participate in the challenge will vote over the weekend. (honor system)
The challenge is announced the 2nd Monday of the month. Anyone can participated, even if you were on the fence BEFORE the vote, you can still join in anytime.

You have until the last Sunday (Midnight PST) of the month to upload.

EDIT: No matter what the Macro area, all submitted entries will be an audio\video production

Now as this is the FIRST run, I'm open to ideas on the MACRO focus.

Last edited:
I should like to participate.

However, I look with awe upon the near-baroque complexity of the rules, upon the daunting fine print.

I worry I will screw up and be eliminated or laughed at for missing some fine point of arcane legaleeze concerning who can submit and when and why and how, etc.

Maybe I overstate it. Maybe I'm just suffering from an Absolut hangover and I'm full of shit.

In any case, I hope things become clearer as I sober up.

-C

Adeimantus,

In short whispered words:

1. Focus Announced:
    On the FIRST Monday in February Ill tell everyone what the main focus will be
  2. Suggestion Box Open:
    From that Monday through Thursday everyone suggests specific challenges that support the main focus
  3. Suggestion Box Closed:
    On Friday I gather up all the ideas a set up a poll
  4. Vote:
    Voting over the weekend. You should only vote if you REALLY plan to participate, but its up to you to be honest.
  5. Challenge Details Announced:
    On the 2nd Monday in February the challenge is announced.
  6. Upload The Movies:
    Everyone has until the last Sunday (Midnight PST) of the month to upload

Adeimantus,

In short whispered words:

1. Focus Announced:
    On the FIRST Monday in February Ill tell everyone what the main focus will be
  2. Suggestion Box Open:
    From that Monday through Thursday everyone suggests specific challenges that support the main focus
  3. Suggestion Box Closed:
    On Friday I gather up all the ideas a set up a poll
  4. Vote:
    Voting over the weekend. You should only vote if you REALLY plan to participate, but its up to you to be honest.
  5. Challenge Details Announced:
    On the 2nd Monday in February the challenge is announced.
  6. Upload The Movies:
    Everyone has until the last Sunday (Midnight PST) of the month to upload

Now that's clear as a bell. As clear as an unmuddied lake, Wheat. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Wheat.

Thank you, sir.

I'm game for this but I'll fess up to not really understanding the point of the first step. Are some of the challenges just going to be writing tasks?

I love number three. Its a classic forum game that I've played before, but with a filmmaking twist. I really dig that idea.

I'm not much of a writer personally, but I'll participate in some of the other categories.

After it's finished do we upload it and publish it at indietalk, or send you the links and you publish them all at once?

Is it a competition of any sorts, or just something to participate in?

Looking forward to it!

My favorite is step two: Put your junk in a box. Though, of course it would not be possible without the all-important step one: Cut a hole in a box.

My favorite is step two: Put your junk in a box. Though, of course it would not be possible without the all-important step one: Cut a hole in a box.

I have a slight correction: I believe that step one is: Get a box. Then you proceed from there :) I'M ON A BOAT YA'LL!! I'M ON A BOAT YA'LL!!

No just watched it....You're right. Step one is cut a hole in a box.

I'M ON A MUTHA F*CKIN BOAT YA'LL!!!!

Last edited:
Last week, I was watching a show. As I recall, it was a horror show. I stepped outside, into the rain. I checked my phone, and saw that you rang, and I...

I wonder how many people are completely confused at all of this.

OFF-TOPIC!

Okay, I'm in. But just for the first month. Then we'll see.

Oh, and I'm quite positive that step one is to cut a hole in a box. :)

Back