IndieTalk Weekly Challanges Proposal

right, and EVERYONE can still join in on this weeks conversation for support and encouragement or heckling as the mood fits! I can see weeks where all we do is talk about what a stupid idea this weeks challenge is lol..

right, and EVERYONE can still join in on this weeks conversation for support and encouragement or heckling as the mood fits! I can see weeks where all we do is talk about what a stupid idea this weeks challenge is lol..

Perhaps a compromise is to post the ideas a couple weeks in advance. For Feb. week 1 week 2 etc. so people can see in advance what they would like to focus their energy on. Hope that makes sense.

The reason that I think monthly is the way to go is that most here on IT work real jobs and have families; others are students with a substantial workload already. There just isn't the time to participate the way that they would like. Then there is the "I need to beg/borrow/steal gear in order to do anything" aspect for many.

There is also my feeling that as a community it makes more sense to have a single monthly participation so that there is a higher number of submissions on the given theme, and I also feel that the subject matter should be non-specific. Secret Santa is a good example. Besides being challenging and fun, it is also a way to observe how a representative cross-section of filmmakers treat one subject instead of two or three each week on a multitude of varied ideas.

Well, the high frequency of opportunity with low frequency of utilization of said opportunity was my idea, easy enough to kill it.. seems most are more comfortable with monthly.. so put this to bed and lets have some fun for next month..

I really like all the ideas being thrown around the table here. but i have some questions.

1.What is a A soliloquy? i googled it and here is what wikipedia had to say
A soliloquy is a device often used in drama where by a character relates his or her thoughts and feelings to him/herself and to the audience without addressing any of the other characters.[1] Soliloquy is distinct from monologue and aside.

Soliloquies are similar to yet distinct from a monologue; an exclusive view of a character's dramatized action within a play-world, typically addressing another character or group of characters.

Soliloquies were frequently used in poetic dramas; dramas in prose tend to use a more realistic speaking style and rarely if ever feature them. The plays of William Shakespeare feature many soliloquies. The "To be or not to be" speech in Hamlet is perhaps the most famous one in the English language. Macbeth's "Tomorrow and tomorrow" speech and Juliet's "O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" are other famous examples of Shakespearean soliloquies (although Juliet's speech is overheard by Romeo).
I feel like and idiot because i still don't understand.

2. Will we be given the criteria before the month its due? Secret santa was my first solo project and i found out exactly how much work it takes to make something and my video was only like 30 some seconds long. So I think A month is A good amount of time to plan, film and edit a couple minutes of video.

3. Are we making these just to post and watch or we going to vote on the best vids?

Okay, so this doesn't confuse you more:

The first 3 minutes or so are your basic voice over.

Soliloquy starts at about 3:45 when he says "But it didn't matter..." and gets out of the witness stand, directly addressing the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UMCfbqDsU

Only one I can think of at the moment, sort of cheating maybe. The Shakespearean ones in your quote are better examples. More subtle. Those characters break into those monments fairly seamlessly in scene so they can seem like monologue, but they are meant for the audience more than the other characters present. Really, can't go wrong with the Shakespeare.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm down for this idea. Definitely couldn't always make something, but that would be true regardless of frequency. :D

Last edited:
Soliloquy is a character talking to no one in particular without other characters hearing him or being present. It is used to reveal the characters feelings or thoughts to the audience which are usually his truest despite what he has said to other characters before or what he'll say after.

A monologue is a character talking to a person or a group of people for a long time saying whatever he wants and not being interrupted or insignificantly so.

You ever watch a soap opera? Or even a minute or two of one. Well after the arguement between man and

woman and man leaves the room and the woman starts saying something like,"I know your the father of my

child and I know who can help me prove it. Then you'll pay." That's soliloquy. Soaps are full of them, if I understand

the definition.

You ever watch a soap opera? Or even a minute or two of one. Well after the arguement between man and

woman and man leaves the room and the woman starts saying something like,"I know your the father of my

child and I know who can help me prove it. Then you'll pay." That's soliloquy. Soaps are full of them, if I understand

the definition.

Hahaha, that's true. The other end from Shakespeare.

Hahaha, that's true. The other end from Shakespeare.

Can you believe that some of those shows have been running almost continuous story lines for over 20 years!! I think there is one that's been on the air for 30 or 40.

Not trying to derail: I'm still in for the monthly challenge;)

EDIT: Dont be afeared Goob.. it was just an example of an "acting" based challenge off the top of my head..

Monologues are oft synonymous with soliloquy.

For example, everyone has heard at lest parts of this famous monologue before..

HAMLET: To be, or not to be--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep--
No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,

a more apropos true soliloquy, comments directed at the AUDIENCE from Shakespeare include this bit from Henry V. (further bending the idea by referencing the self same soliloquy directly, and calling it by name! dang Ole Will, he causes all kinds of trouble.. !!

O! Woe is me!
Picture if thou will,
My frustration,
As i have aught to be called
Upon the platform
To deliver this ill-fated object of my doom!
Many a sleepless night
Have I suffered
To toil and anguish,
To vexation and despair,
To distress and ruin,
In order to mine memory commit,
Mine ill-fated soliloquy!
Mentors of torment,
Who hath to us imparted
Objects of ill-will
And contempt,
Thinkst thou are we happy
To experience such a life?
Our lights are burn’d,
The fiery rush washed away,
And yea! woe is me!
Woe is upon my day!

Last edited:
so back to the challenge ..

I think its along the lines of "challenging yourself" and having fun, and NOT a contest. We all know that I would rig it so I would win EVERY CONTEST, so thats right out.. lol..

With a longer time period, I think we can have more fun upfront with coming up with the challenge.

How about something like this:

Knowing that Im a M through F 12 hour a day working stiff, I prefer to do the admin of this over the weekends. Which will explain my fixation on Fridays and Mondays below!

On the first Monday of the month "somebody" picks the MACRO focus for this months challenge.. examples would be (update the list as you see fit, a shorter list would be better):

1. Acting\Directing
  2. Cinematography
  3. Production Audio
  4. Pre-Production Planning
  5. Visual Effects
  6. Editing
  7. Writing
  8. ...

Then with the post announcing the Marco focus for the month, we open up for ANY suggestions from anybody, for challenges in that macro focus. Good, bad, or stupid... all ideas welcome. Limit one per customer(?) Suggestions may be rejected that don't fit the macro focus, but that should be easy enough to work around if your clever.

On the first FRIDAY following the first Monday, the suggestion box is closed.
Those who have publicly committed to participate in the challenge will vote over the weekend.
The challenge is announced the 2nd Monday of the month. Anyone can participated, even if you were on the fence BEFORE the vote, you can still join in anytime.

You have until the last Sunday (Midnight PST) of the month to upload. If you don't finish, you may be rewarded with being "the somebody" who picks the macro topic and manages the contest next month!

comments?

I did think of a funny "producer\pre-production" challenge.

• Make a movie, any length, any topic etc.
  • You can NOT spend your own money
  • You can NOT spend more than $5
  • You can NOT spend LESS than $5
  • You can NOT appear in it
  • You can NOT crew in it
  • And EVERYONE involved must be paid SOMETHING.
  • Your upload must include receipts.

An alternative would be to scrap the whole "voting" and getting ideas, and simply elect one person each month to run the contest, if you run it, you get to pick the topic.. fair trade. make up your own, use something from the forum you are king for a month!

Back