films about 1 event/day told from POV of characters seperately

There was a film two or threes years back, whose name has completely escaped me.

The screen was split into quarters for the entire flick, and it was shot in real time with 4 main actors (and 4 camera peeps)... one for each quarter panel.

They are each doing their own thing, but they end up interacting with each of the other three at various points as the film progresses.

One of those films where it seemed like a good idea to view it in... an altered state, shalll we say. :cool:

(Probably explains why I can't remember the name).

Zensteve said:
There was a film two or threes years back, whose name has completely escaped me.

The screen was split into quarters for the entire flick, and it was shot in real time with 4 main actors (and 4 camera peeps)... one for each quarter panel.

(Probably explains why I can't remember the name).

TIMECODE by Mike Figgis with Salma Hayek, Jean Tripplehorn, Stellan Skaarsgard et al.

Shot mini DV and mostly improvised.

(2000)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220100

==========================================

Walter_Smidge said:
nice work.... radio theatre will make a comeback..... i am sure of it!

a freind already made one a little while ago which i helped out on
www.lombardaudio.com check it out!

will do Walt - thanks for the link. it will make a comeback we shall ensure that - from both sides of the world!
i have to say that i think it helps someone be much more accomplished + skilful as a writer if they practice their craft through different mediums.
yay for us. :yes:

sonnyboo said:
I'm wicked with useless movie trivia. QUOTE]

don't sell yourself short sonnyboo. You helped me and Zensteve out. Now perhaps Zen can remember what he did that night, do you remember yet Zen? Give it time, give it time............ :yes:

Last edited:
just wanted to say thanks very much to all the people who have given me help here - very good of you - you have certainly given me a busy weekend :yes:

cheers, :clap:

C'mon all you Tarantino fans. The film that was a direct influence on the structure of Pulp Fiction is a fine example of the type of movie Nique is looking for.

It take place over several days, but it tells the story from the POV of several characters - especially the heist itself.

You QT fans MUST know this film....

WeightOnWheels said:
Or maybe the The Killing by Kubrick?
Ding - Ding - Ding!

With a script by Kubrick and one of the great crime novelists of all time, Jim Thompson. His use of various charactor POV's is exciting. It also has one of great endings of the Hays Code days.

I have never seen The Killers - Siegel's 64 version or Siodmak's 46 version. Though I have read Hemingways book. I'm going to see if I can buy both of them today.

Last edited:
Was reading through some of the first replies to this topic... noticed that someone mentioned Run Lola Run..

And then:
Nique Zoolio said:
hmmm, doesn't really fit my criteria, but an inventive choice none the less....

Run Lola Run doesn't meet your criteria?! It takes place in one day (more like 20 minutes or so actually) and covers a couple points of view in a fairly unique way... through use of snapshots, split screen, etc.. I think you need to reconsider it as a good example, otherwise what you say you're looking for must not be quite what you're looking for.

Will Vincent said:
Was reading through some of the first replies to this topic... noticed that someone mentioned Run Lola Run..

And then:

Run Lola Run doesn't meet your criteria?! It takes place in one day (more like 20 minutes or so actually) and covers a couple points of view in a fairly unique way... through use of snapshots, split screen, etc.. I think you need to reconsider it as a good example, otherwise what you say you're looking for must not be quite what you're looking for.

If I remember correctly doesn't the story change each time it is told? Plus wasn't the story only told from Lola's POV? or was the boyfriends POV used too? See now I just can't remember.... interesting watch none the less.

Mikey D said:
If I remember correctly doesn't the story change each time it is told? Plus wasn't the story only told from Lola's POV? or was the boyfriends POV used too? See now I just can't remember.... interesting watch none the less.
It's been a while since I saw it, but that's exactly how I remember it. All from Lola's POV and each time she leaves her apartment she makes a slightly different choice that changes the outcome.

Now I have to go buy THAT film, too....

directorik said:
and each time she leaves her apartment she makes a slightly different choice that changes the outcome.
thats exactly what i mean. i need a situation that does not change, the whole tension rises from the fact that no character in this has any control over what happens in the end - and the audience knows it coming. run lola run doesn't come into my criteria as, whilst it may be the story of 1 day, its is the story of many differing events, and thats not what i was after. it needed to be one event told from different POVs, not one POV and 5 different events, and a tiny bit of boyfriend stuff. but thanks will for looking out for me, again. :yes:
Cheers directorik for mentioning the Killing, film noir is one of the greatest genres and I am actually purchasing a copy of the original today - thanks. :yes:
cheers to mikey d and directorik for getting my point across while i was in the land of nod, swimming with Pierce........

Last edited:
Ok.. certain things change slightly... but it also covers other characters POVs.. true it is mostly from Lola's POV.. BUT, it does do some of the boyfriend, and some of her father at the bank. Also a number of people she runs across in the process have their POV shown through a series of snapshots that pop up on the screen. Like the old woman Lola practically runs over when she's running down the sidewalk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that not only does Lola's story change slightly, but these other peoples stories do too. The previously mentioned old woman is a good example.. the first time Lola runs by we see a bunch of photos showing the woman going home, whatever.. yada yada, depressing.. one of the other times the photos show that she wins the lottery or some nonsense. Also, in one of the story changes the bum that stole the money from her boyfriend shows up and he chases him down to get the money back (I believe that is the last one, but I'm not sure..) Ya know, I think I'm gonna have to go buy that one too. :D

Anyway I had another thought this morning. Granted it doesn't take place in one day, but 'Love Actually' is an excellent example of inter-twined stories from many different POVs, all happening simultaneously. Also I believe ALL the main characters show up together in the last scene (in the airport). Anyway, so it's not the one day/one event thing.. but still a great case study for multiple POV.

Will Vincent said:
Ok.. certain things change slightly... but it also covers other characters POVs..

I had completely forgotten about the whole photo things - that a good point.

the first time Lola runs by we see a bunch of photos showing the woman going home, whatever.. yada yada, depressing.. one of the other times the photos show that she wins the lottery or some nonsense.

Its the fact that they change that makes me exclude this film from my list. i don't want events that can be so changed - the tragedy of my story comes from the fact that the fire (i've said too much :blush: ) was inevitable.
the idea was 1 event - not a plethora of events that may/may not happen/happened.

'Love Actually' is an excellent example of inter-twined stories from many different POVs, all happening simultaneously. a great case study for multiple POV.

yep - this was mentioned earlier, and i will certainly watch it - u make a great case for it :yes:
i certainly take your sought after advice though will and will watch run lola run, but not until after the first draft is written, to compare.
cheers, nique.

Last edited:
Back