British Filmmakers

Hey guys, I'm a director from Northern Ireland, I'm currently based in Belfast. I make films during/for my studies and in my free time, its everything to me.

Just finished my latest project, an adaptation of Alan Bennett's "Playing Sandwiches" on Tuesday- toughest shoot yet, also my most thought provoking and intense piece yet.

Film industry has really boomed in Belfast. We've had "Sons of Anarchy" and "Game of Thrones" shot here in its entirety, as well as "Killing Bono" and "Your Highness" most recently- literally 15mins walk from where I study. I've never had a problem working here, be it with locations or actors, I can safely say theres no place Id rather be making films right now.

With any luck I shall have some of my work up for all to see soon(ish). Shall need to see what the copyright situation is like for my latest aforementioned piece. Shooting my next short in early May, I will definitely have it posted for you guys- its destined for the Foyle Film Festival which is one of the most prestigious festivals in the UK (fingers crossed it makes the official selection) so shall have all necessary licences. Watch this space!

Hello there!

I know a guy from Belfast who worked in the AD department of three of the four productions that you mentioned in your post! So it can be done. You should definitely try and crew on Game of Thrones Series 2...

Anyhow good luck with your next short and let us see some of your work!

Hey, figured I'd come introduce myself as a fellow Brit, also Nick suggested I do. I'm located in Southampton which I doubt has a massive film industry, but it would be nice to be apart of it no matter how small.

Hey all, I'm Simon, also from the UK (also based in Southampton, in fact). I'm currently making short films, mainly comedies, with a group of friends. I still have much to learn but I'm enjoying it more than anything I've ever done before. I would describe myself as a total novice when it comes to film-making but I'm looking to learn more about sound recording and script writing. The posts on this forum have been my Bible so far, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt splashing out on some actual books at some point!

Anyway, despite my amateur abilities, I would love to try my hand at working on a film set, if anyone needs an unpaid Joey. I'd happily make tea, gaffer tape poles together or fetch pizza as requested. I'm a quick learner, reliable and willing to travel.

I've got a few short films on YouTube, if anyone's interested, the latest one (a comedy) being here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKqy3fWIxw

Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:
Hello, I'm John and I'm a student in Liverpool. I'm a composer and pianist, and I am currently working on two short film soundtracks for students on film studies courses, two game mod soundtracks, and producing the first album for my band with my girlfriend. I'm also working on a screenplay.

I'm looking for a project or two over the summer, when I will be in India. I'll be travelling around some of the time, but I'll have a lot of spare time too when I'll no doubt be very inspired, and it would be great to have an outlet for it. All of my current projects and university work will be over by then.

Hi, from Scotland, Elgin.

New to the indietalk forum and film making in general.
i am a graphic designer but i want to move into anything film wise...
so as portfolio piece and to prove that i can do this i am making a short film.

I will post later the plot etc of my short film, but basically it is a nazi zombie film (generic maybe, but i want to make my own mark on it)

currently i am the only one doing the prop construction, costumes, sets, building the camera rig, designing the website so the output is a little slow, but its getting there!

any help on my other post would great!

so at the moment there is only a facebook page with some pics.

Hey all, I'm Simon, also from the UK (also based in Southampton, in fact). I'm currently making short films, mainly comedies, with a group of friends. I still have much to learn but I'm enjoying it more than anything I've ever done before. I would describe myself as a total novice when it comes to film-making but I'm looking to learn more about sound recording and script writing. The posts on this forum have been my Bible so far, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt splashing out on some actual books at some point!

Anyway, despite my amateur abilities, I would love to try my hand at working on a film set, if anyone needs an unpaid Joey. I'd happily make tea, gaffer tape poles together or fetch pizza as requested. I'm a quick learner, reliable and willing to travel.

I've got a few short films on YouTube, if anyone's interested, the latest one (a comedy) being here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKqy3fWIxw

Thanks for reading :D

Hey man.

What part of Southampton are you from? I checked out your video "The Viewing" it looks like it was filmed somewhere in Eastleigh?

Does anyone have any experience with this film school or this course in particular: The Met Film School?

Will it be worth it for the experience, teaching, access to equipment and the supposed 'connections' I could make or would I be better off learning on my own?

I prefer the thought of doing this straight after college instead of going to University to do a degree in Film Studies as I'd rather do the practical side that this course supposedly offers.

Does anyone have any experience with this film school or this course in particular: The Met Film School?

Yes. I am an alumnus of The Met Film School.

I didn't do a BA there simply because I don't want to do two years of film school as well as three years of university (plus another if I end up doing a masters) but I did go there.

There are good things about Met Film but there are a lot of bad things as well. I don't want to go into detail on this thread because I don't think it's appropriate to slag them off on here but if you're still interested then send me a PM.

I've heard that the LFA and Raindance are no better, so if you want to come up to London to study filmmaking then don't rule it out.

Im planning on studying there in July for their 4 week Director's course. Looking forward to it!

You know on the four week director's course you only get two hours to shoot your short film? There was a guy on my course who'd done that before hand and set it was a waste of time...

I haven't done it so I can't speak for it.

2 hours?? Thats a bit of a joke!

Any chance of getting any more info on this Nick? Surely its not a total waste of time, the school name carries some weight!

2 hours?? Thats a bit of a joke!

Any chance of getting any more info on this Nick? Surely its not a total waste of time, the school name carries some weight!

As I say I didn't do the 4 weeks so I don't want to slag that course off. I'll send you some stuff I send TheMCDay about the school in general.

It's a decent school I just think there are certain inherent flaws to any of these 'take the money and run programs'...

Hey Deus Ex Machina do you mind letting me know how you found the course please? I want to look in to it a bit more and your comments might be helpful.

Just a quick shout out to my fellow Brit filmmakers - wishing you well with your films! We're starting filming on our movie in a week and a half :)

A shout out from a noob to my fellow Brits from a born again film maker.

It took me this long to get to the point where I want to make films so if anyone needs an extra pair of hands around the set, actor, boom holder, I'd love to help out.

I'm trying to get as much experience as possible before I make my own * gulp * next year...

Back