British Filmmakers

I would have to say that you are indeed the first to quote "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" to me this year, or the many previous, Murdock.

Chilipie, have you happened to work any sets/productions that have involved warehouse space in the Sheffield area?

I've happened to found a few, but am yet to discover whether they're plausable for filming. Any recomendations?

Wow! Perfect place for me to make my first post!

I too am British, i'm in Birmingham. I'd call myself a filmmaker, yet I haven't actually made any films to date. I have however written about a billion scripts and i'm just deciding whether or not I really want to make one of them. They're all horror, so i'm sure I could make a film on the cheap and somebody, somewhere in the world would appreciate it. I just don't know whether I want to be adding to the endless supply of no-budget horror that is already available. But that said, I love no-budget horror, so maybe I do!

If anybody locally needs any kind of assistance with making a movie, give me a shout, i'd love to help if I can.

Huzzah! Bristol! Someone on Indietalk who i live less than an hour away!

Haha. Where are you in the U.K then?

I too am British, i'm in Birmingham. I'd call myself a filmmaker, yet I haven't actually made any films to date. I have however written about a billion scripts and i'm just deciding whether or not I really want to make one of them. They're all horror, so i'm sure I could make a film on the cheap and somebody, somewhere in the world would appreciate it. I just don't know whether I want to be adding to the endless supply of no-budget horror that is already available. But that said, I love no-budget horror, so maybe I do!

If anybody locally needs any kind of assistance with making a movie, give me a shout, i'd love to help if I can.

Well, if you wouldn't mind emailing me a couple of your screenplays I'll give them a look over. I awlays wanted to make a horror movie ;) You'll get the writing credit. But unfortunatley, no money. I have no budget either xD
I'm the same calling myself a filmmaker but not made anything, hey Robert Rodriguez said 'once you start thinking about being one, you are one' :)

Welcome!

If what you're looking for is a taster of "Life on set". Keep a lookout on Gumtree, FB, Shootingpeople.com etc. for productions advertising for crew. It is likely-be it you have no prior experience- that you'll simply be an extra pair of hands. However, it is a magnificent networking tool and a hugely rewarding insight into the career you're hoping to pursue.

I happened to do this myself for the best part of two-years.

Goodluck :)

Collab project for the Brits: everyone send in a video of themselves trying to speak with an American accent and then we'll put it together in a montage.

Maybe then the yanks can do one with their English accents :P

I don't think that would be a fair contest as I am, technically, a US resident... :P

But I would be up for seeing the Americans do British accents. I have never known a collection of people so universally bad at the English accent as the Americans.

See Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta for further reference. Bad film, even worse British accent.

First of all...WHAT? I love V for Vendetta! lol.

Anyway, I too am British. Based in 'Gods own county' in the stunningly beautiful city of York. Now i'm done with the tourist advert i can tell you that although we don't have a whole lot of 'industry' up here in the north east, York itself has a very nice little film making community. We have director Mark Herman living in the city and he's quite inspiring and has lots to do with York St John university's BA Film Production course (of which i am a graduate). Some friends of mine last year made a feature called Crime Fighters on a micro budget and got some very nice reviews and even into selection at Edinburgh. We have four web series all in production, ZomBLOGalypse (which has just finished its 3rd and final season), I Am Tim (which has just finished its first season), Captains Blog (part way through its first season) and finally my very own web series Time Wasters which will launch our first episode on 'pretend to be a time traveller day' (Dec 8th if you didn't know... unlikely!) although you can already watch our trailer here.... sorry, cheap pop i know!

We have a real wealth of film makers in quite a tight knit community which mostly stems from York St John university and its many graduands although it is always evolving as new students/generations come through. For that reason the people here doing their A-Levels and considering a film course should definitely check it out. Good course. Good tutors. And a hell of a lot cheaper than film school!

I work partly as a freelance videographer and partly as a grip/assistant grip depending on the project size although i have to say i also (when work gets slim) have been known to dabble in the dreadful world of retail. When i'm not working on other peoples projects i like to direct my own stuff although this often means producing, lighting and editing as well. All fun though. My plans consist of putting together an incredible showreel that will one day get me into the National Film School as i don't see a lot of point in going to any of the other film schools in this country... well maybe the London... but i can't afford it! lol.

SO anyway.... i think i'll leave my ramble there.

I don't think that would be a fair contest as I am, technically, a US resident... :P

But I would be up for seeing the Americans do British accents. I have never known a collection of people so universally bad at the English accent as the Americans.

See Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta for further reference. Bad film, even worse British accent.

Do it anyway! You're right, though. American's really suck at English accents. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that most American's don't realize just how many different accents there are in England and tend to much several together rather than picking one.

The following is the best (and only) example I can think of where an American actress nails the English accent. And she was from the Bronx no less!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62sWl_amerg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62sWl_amerg
Watch the wonderful fight scene at the beginning or skip ahead to her talking at about 0:45

If I have to be, I'll be the first to make an accent video. I'm horrible at English accents, but I do a fair Irish brogue. I think I'll make recordings of both. :D

My English accent is the same as my Australian accent. And that's the same as my Scottish accent. Which is only slightly different from my Irish accent. It is true, what Nick says -- as a lot, we tend to be pretty bad at it.

Anybody ever seen this chick? If you watch it, you might think her Seattle and California accents are the same. Nope. I grew up in both Seattle and Northern California, and have spent a great deal of time in Southern California -- there are definitely different accents, though they are subtle, and this lady nails it. I guess it helps that she's from Seattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k

For some reason Americans think that the British and Australian accents are very similar. They're not. They're as far apart as British and American.

Here are the accents that I can do to competent standard: US (East Coast, Chicago a la American Buffalo, Generic Southern...), Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish, South African, Australian, UK (Natural southern accent, Mancunian, Scouse, Birmingham, West Country, Cockney).

I was told by my drama teacher that I should be a voice actor (not exactly a compliment) because I'm pretty savvy with the old accents. Obviously I've only included English speaking dialects, because it's impossible to tell with foreign languages.

The one I don't get is the difference between American and Canadian (other than aboot). To me Justin Bieber might as well be American...

Ok, so I did my Accents Showreel... whilst lying in bed... with a crappy mic...

Anyway you get the idea, I'm a game bird. May not keep it up forever because it's super embarassing.

I apologise in advance to any nations or regions I may have offended in my mindless chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcs70TXh28

Nick, that's pretty good. The "Chicago" accent just sounded like a weird hodgepodge of I-don't-know-what. The "generic East Coast" was the better of the three. I don't know that I'd call it "generic East Coast", but maybe "generic middle-class urban/suburban American". It's tough to classify these things, cuz you get so many accents in the same city, in America. You can get more variation, within one city, than between two individuals who grew up on opposite coasts.

The one that I loosely classified as 'Chicago' is actually just me copying Dustin Hoffman from the film of American Buffalo for my role in the play. I've never been to Chicago and therefore have to put my hands up and say I don't know what I'm doing.

Calling it 'generic East Coast' is simply because my house is in New York and that's the accent that I grew up listening to. The furthest west I've ever been is Texas, so I don't really have much of a reference for Californian accents other than TV. I assume that US TV is much the same as Britain where they try to dull down regional accents for nation wide distribution... so it kind of comes out as a generic sound.

As I briefly said in the video it's the 'r' sound that is so difficult for Brits doing an American voice and that's the only way I can catch out people like Hugh Laurie in House and Dominic West in The Wire...

But step up to homeplate (?) Americanos! :D

Hey, that was pretty fantastic!:) I especially liked the UK blend. I felt like the Aussie accent didn't quite nail it, it felt a bit, idk, squeaky? Loads better than I can do, though. The 'East coast' was def the best of the Americans. I feel like if I could coach you I could get you sounding like a native. You might want to try something mild but dialect-ish like a Wisconsin accent. Or else try and do an impression of Justin Timberlake. He has enough personality in his voice that it would be easy to imitate but would result in a pretty 'neutral' American accent.

My compliments, though. I've been watching a bit of 'A Bit of Fry and Laurey,' (as well as all those HP audiobooks) and I couldn't help but be reminded of Stephen Fry while watching that, so awesome job!

I'm pretty busy at work tomorrow and saturday, but I have a 'script' in my head and am gonna record mine on sunday :D

Mr.Clapper!

You owe my hometown an apology. Although my accent isn't remotely recognizable as the "Scouse" you presented us with, I'm still saddened as to what you referred to it as being.

Last edited:
Back