My indietalk project

sfoster

Staff Member
Using this forum I met an aspiring screen writer and a locally aspiring director/dp.
There's a little story I've been developing on the side, and now we're all teaming up to film in 3 weeks. A couple of people that I met here :)

I pulled casting together for the 3 main characters this sunday and the first draft of the script will be done by this weekend.

We're really flying by the seat of our pants on this one :lol:
It's a bit of a rush since our story takes place at a pool party and we need to film before the warm-weather runs out.

Anyway I'm really excited about my team and the process ahead, I figure I can post some updates here to let everyone know how it goes.

This saturday we're meeting on location

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support :)
It was a bit of a headache to organize all the acting talent, etc but I got some people to take off work (for free somehow!!) and we have all day sept 11th to film.

I talked with the screen writer about a 3-10 page story and he came back with a 25 page script. I said it was too long and he came back saying he's been working on indie projects for years and if I can't do this 25 page thing in one day with amateur actors then the script isn't the problem and he doesn't want to be a part of it.

:sigh:

at that rate you could film an entire feature film in under a week. I guess it's possible but I'm no ed wood

I still have all the actors, location, the original story idea, and the local guy to help me out so we're not going to be stopped by any little bumps in the road.

I may just have to write it myself, which is a shame I was hoping to spend the time building a dolly.

Sounds like the screen writer needs to learn how to listen to the job requirements lol. It doesnt matter whether it can or cannot be done when he can't even return the required product. It's the same as giving a studio a 3 hour movie when they said the cut has to be an hour and thirty.

Sounds like the screen writer needs to learn how to listen to the job requirements lol. It doesnt matter whether it can or cannot be done when he can't even return the required product. It's the same as giving a studio a 3 hour movie when they said the cut has to be an hour and thirty.

He also eliminated the concept of an antagonist and made everyone a loyal friend, because it's "not realistic" for two buds to fight over a girl. now it's just everyone talking about their feelings :no:

He also eliminated the concept of an antagonist and made everyone a loyal friend, because it's "not realistic" for two buds to fight over a girl. now it's just everyone talking about their feelings :no:

Fire him.

This screenwriter has changed really the message, theme, and plot of your film. He has also made a 25 page script, and you want a 3-10 page script.

That's a sign of a poor screenwriter.

if I can't do this 25 page thing in one day with amateur actors then the script isn't the problem and he doesn't want to be a part of it.

Are you :censored: kidding me? He said that?

Last edited:
Fire him.

This screenwriter has changed really the message, theme, and plot of your film. He has also made a 25 page script, and you want a 3-10 page script.

That's a sign of a poor screenwriter.

Are you :censored: kidding me? He said that?

Ugh, yeah he said it.
I just sent him a message that I'll write it myself.
I looked passed the fact that there are no real actors on this project (which you should seriously reconsider) hence why I put numerous emotional cues in the script. I'm not sure how you expect to make something worthwhile though under these conditions and I'm not willing to have my name attached to something like this if this is how you choose to move forward.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to put it bluntly my script isn't the issue here.

"These conditions" being a 1-day shoot with friends instead of actors.
How do I plan to do it? because I am a god damn genius!

It's a pool party, I will put them in sunglasses :cool:
Boom. Instant elimination of terrible acting, and everyone is glamorous.

:yes:

Last edited:
I looked passed the fact that there are no real actors on this project (which you should seriously reconsider) hence why I put numerous emotional cues in the script. I'm not sure how you expect to make something worthwhile though under these conditions and I'm not willing to have my name attached to something like this if this is how you choose to move forward.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to put it bluntly my script isn't the issue here.

tumblr_m4s36xcR8o1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

I wonder where that guy's career is going to be in 10 years...

*crickets chirping*

One of the greatest skills people can have in the filmmaking industry is getting along with other people. Nobody wants to work with that guy. No, not "that guy!", that guy. You know, the one who blames everyone for his incompetence?

Sorry if I'm being too rough on the guy, but it bugs me when people, especially in the field of filmmaking, act like that.

Ending on a positive note:

Good luck! I look forward to seeing it :)

Scam his 25pg script for concept, change genres, characters, and settings then compress it into 3-10pgs.

I'm pretty sure that screenwriter has never directed a 25pg shoot in a day ot two. Pfft. Weiner.

Scam his 25pg script for concept, change genres, characters, and settings then compress it into 3-10pgs.

I'm pretty sure that screenwriter has never directed a 25pg shoot in a day ot two. Pfft. Weiner.

More I think of it the more I come to realize he is an ass. It's supposed to be a team project and he totally ignores all of our real-world requirements and then says he knows better than everyone else involved on the project. Man, some people!!

I don't need to scam anything from him, I provided him with the concept, characters, location and genre to begin with. He just mucked it all up by turning it into a circle jerk where everyone loves each other and talks about their feelings without an subtext :lol:

Stop getting distracted by this 25-page nonsense. You could have finished your own 3-page screenplay in the meanwhile.
smiley_colbert.gif

Stop getting distracted by this 25-page nonsense. You could have finished your own 3-page screenplay in the meanwhile.
smiley_colbert.gif

You obviously don't know how slowly I write :lol:
If I can get 3 solid pages in the next week I will be thrilled.

The good news is that I did get started on it.. I also got an offer from my best friends fiancé to help write it, very nice of her. I will take her up on that, hopefully it doesn't end as poorly :D. She's attending school for screen writing but I don't know how far along she is in the curriculum

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support :)
I talked with the screen writer about a 3-10 page story and he came back with a 25 page script. I said it was too long and he came back saying he's been working on indie projects for years and if I can't do this 25 page thing in one day with amateur actors then the script isn't the problem and he doesn't want to be a part of it.
Wow, this "screenwriter" has obviously no clue. Totally clueless, wow...

Pen it yourself or get another screenwriter involved - hopefully a better one this time. A lot of very good screenwriters hang out on the donedealpro forum - not sure how many would be prepared to work for free but you could ask. They can be a tough crowd though. They may ask for examples of your work - if you have not shot anything else, they may not be interested - not sure...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/

... the first draft of the script will be done by this weekend.

When your script is done - this weekend, right? - find a few people whose opinions you trust to politely and constructively rip it to shreds; perhaps a few other people from right here on IndieTalk in keeping with your IT theme/format. Then quickly rewrite, get a few more comments, rewrite again and get busy; you're under a time constraint, correct?

... I was hoping to spend the time building a dolly

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid! Use what you have and spend the rest of your time getting organized and locking down everything else.

And, of course, I have to ask... What's the deal with production sound?

Good Luck!!!

Back