An Idea For A Proposal . . .

I'm wondering if I can pitch to the TV Networks that we can make an I, Creator Science Fiction TV Series for much less than the average TV series for $100,000 an episode using both union and non-union people. The union people being some of the actors.

They may insist everyopne be in a union. And, that would bump up the cost per episode. For a series like this, we will need a staff production designer and carpenter crew. They may have to be all union. But, I can find non-union people to work for less.

I'd like to keep the productions local and put local people to work. I hate to read Help Wanted sections of local newspapers saying, "The Unemployed Need Not Apply." Maybe I can pitch that to the studio executives.

Any suggestions?

@Mike- You can defend your work to the death if you honestly think that it's broadcast standard. That's your right as the director and creator.

But viewers will react in the way that people have on this thread. Personally I don't think it has the production values or acting of anything that I see on TV. Because I know that you did it for a fraction of the cost, I respect your work. But if I saw that that was what my TV licence fee was paying for, I'd be disappointed.

You need to be receptive to the points that people are making rather than just stating facts and comparisons. If you show your work as a pitch to a network you should be giving them an example of what you can do with very little money and then go on to explain what could be improved with the money from their funding. Simply claiming that you're at broadcast standard already will get you nowhere. Take a long, hard, disinterested look at your own work and see where you could spend more and where you could improve.

There are things that can/need to be improved, don't bury your head in the sand but react in a positive way to any negative feedback. :)

Up-front note for mods: This is not intended as a baseless personal attack.

Modern Day Myth has made the rounds on various filmmaker boards and the one trait he constantly exhibits is his complete inability to honestly listen to what other people are telling him.

His work to date is awful. Terrible. I actually purchased his first "I, Creator" movie and it was absolute dreck. Now anyone who's tried to make a movie has probably found that their first efforts were pretty bad. I know most of mine were. The issue isn't that his first feature was really bad, it's that he refuses to listen to people that tell him why it was bad and what he needs to do to improve.

It's this lack of ability to give his own work an objective assessment and to learn and improve from that that draws ire from other webboard members. He thinks his current level of production is fine and no one is going to be able to tell him any differently. We've tried. For years.

I've been really sick the last 2 days from prolonged food rations from a big pay cut and getting workked to death at my day job.

The reason for hiring a DP who works for TV studios is to bring up the cinematography to a TV studio's standards. Why would he keep getting freelance work with 3 networks if his skills and work is not up to their standards?

Logically, that kills your whole argument about his work. I think some willl agree with me on that.

I have my own personal doubts on how some of my editing is coming along. So, when the time is right next year, I will have a meeting with at least one TV studio editor to go over the whole production with me from start to finish for feedback. I know both opwners of post hopuses and a couple of high-profile editors in the business who can call the right people to help me out.

My DP gave mme his feedback on the acting. It is good enough for the networks we are targeting.

Besides the issues with location sound, I'm unhappy with the the fight scenes just being so-so even for a TV show. But, when the networks find out who the stunt coordinator will be who is well-known by TV networks and in the martial arts world, that will help our cause.

We are looking to get one to two well-known TV actors in IC3. IC2 has a few AFTRA actors in it. One works everyday with some well-known TV actors and will help to setup meeting when the script for IC3 is complete.

Remember studio execs look at numbers and not the art or technique.

This is why we believe we have a good chances.

I remember too how people here trashed the acting in the Terminator TV series. USA Today praised the acting in the show as one of the best acted shows on TV.

I had fights with a clueless stunt coordinator that the cast wanted fired anyway who is clueless about the character of a cyborg and even never read the character sheets on them I gave him. He only knows how to do fight scenes for human characterss. He refused to read up on what is different about a cyborg. One of my lead cyborg actresses show me the junk he wanted them to do. That's another reason I'm happy to see him go.

Our new stunt coordinator has been working with science fiction and fantasy characters for the past 20 years in Hollywood. So things will only get better.

Back