An Idea For A Proposal . . .

I'm wondering if I can pitch to the TV Networks that we can make an I, Creator Science Fiction TV Series for much less than the average TV series for $100,000 an episode using both union and non-union people. The union people being some of the actors.

They may insist everyopne be in a union. And, that would bump up the cost per episode. For a series like this, we will need a staff production designer and carpenter crew. They may have to be all union. But, I can find non-union people to work for less.

I'd like to keep the productions local and put local people to work. I hate to read Help Wanted sections of local newspapers saying, "The Unemployed Need Not Apply." Maybe I can pitch that to the studio executives.

Any suggestions?

Can you show them completed work that looks as good as what they are used to? Can you demonstrate a track record (even a short record), shot with the production personnel you're pitching, of getting the job done, with a good-looking product?

If so, maybe. If not, no.

My script consultant already compared it to Battlestar Galactica.

The next one will be like the Terminator TV series, BSG, and Farscape.

PromoPhoto.jpg

Blog: http://mikecervello.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/i-creator-2-goddess-of-the-hunt-is-in-postproduction/

Episode Intro: http://vimeo.com/26823357 PW membersonly

Live Action: http://vimeo.com/28057355 PW mdmpllc

Cyborgs Angela, Gail, and Roberta are back working for the Special Forces of Gail Storm's home planet, Delta Four 20 years after the end of life on Earth with Gail's sister cyborg, Summer Storm as part of their platoon. (The cast got Special Forces training from a real ex-Special Forces guy.)

It's still a work in progress. The clips are PW protected and not available to the public because this is from the rough cut.

Last edited:
My script consultant already compared it to Battlestar Galactica.

The next one will be like the Terminator TV series, BSG, and Farscape.

PromoPhoto.jpg

Blog: http://mikecervello.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/i-creator-2-goddess-of-the-hunt-is-in-postproduction/

Episode Intro: http://vimeo.com/26823357 PW membersonly

Live Action: http://vimeo.com/28057355 PW mdmpllc

Cyborgs Angela, Gail, and Roberta are back working for the Special Forces of Gail Storm's home planet, Delta Four 20 years after the end of life on Earth with Gail's sister cyborg, Summer Storm as part of their platoon. (The cast got Special Forces training from a real ex-Special Forces guy.)

It's still a work in progress. The clips are PW protected and not available to the public because this is from the rough cut.

If you did pitch this to some TV execs, I would strongly recommend not showing them any of this footage. I feel it would really hurt your pitch. Are you looking at refining this footage further?

It depends on what actors you find. Some Union actors have EGOS a mile wide and act unprofessional. I have some of the best non-union talent I could find. All committed to the very end. And some of them have worked on impressive projects which I questioned why they hadn't joined the Union their response varies from "to much BS involved' to 'I get better parts being Non Union.

If you did pitch this to some TV execs, I would strongly recommend not showing them any of this footage. I feel it would really hurt your pitch. Are you looking at refining this footage further?

Didn't I just say this is the rough cut?

Why do you think it is password protected? It is a work in progress.

In all honesty, I've seen the Wonder Woman 2011 Pilot that is still a rough cut and I, Creator 2 is looking better than Wonder Woman, which is a 40 presentation and IC2 is 35 minutes with 2 missing scenes.

No joke, here's a clip from Wonder Woman 2011 rough cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRVodCZV_k

I showed the cast the two clips to passify them that the footage is being worked on. And, they like what they saw. I explain the greenscreen backgrounds will be redone, the effects are unfinished, the royalty free music will be replaced by music made custom by a composer, color correction will be done, and it must be sound mixed next year.

So, yes, it will get more work. I'm flat broke right now.

It depends on what actors you find. Some Union actors have EGOS a mile wide and act unprofessional. I have some of the best non-union talent I could find. All committed to the very end. And some of them have worked on impressive projects which I questioned why they hadn't joined the Union their response varies from "to much BS involved' to 'I get better parts being Non Union.

We are going SAG. So, we will be getting better actors. I already recruited 2 SAG people I've known for years.

What is sad about too many non-union actors is they are nobodies who think they are god's gift to the world. And, SAG actors with names are way more humble and professional than them.

Yes. You can pitch this proposal to TV networks.

Thank you, DirectoRIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't I just say this is the rough cut?

Why do you think it is password protected? It is a work in progress.

In all honesty, I've seen the Wonder Woman 2011 Pilot that is still a rough cut and I, Creator 2 is looking better than Wonder Woman, which is a 40 presentation and IC2 is 35 minutes with 2 missing scenes.

Yeah, I understand that you said it was a rough cut, but are you going to work this as your final product, or are these really just test footage and you're going to shoot it all again for your final pitch product? Based solely on the live action footage and not the unfinished CGI, it looks more like your pitching that you can make an episode for under 5 grand.That's based entirely on the acting talent, costumes, and cinematography.

Having read back on your post you have said "We have such a production in post right now." I'm assuming the footage is the project that you're referring to. In which case the shot footage IS what you'll end up with, just with all the post production aspects finished.

Pitching to a TV exec is hard, but your target audience should be easy. I watch sci fi, I'm your audience, and from this footage alone (ignoring the unfinished post production) I wouldn't be tuning in.

And what does it matter that you think it's looking better than the Wonder Woman pilot, WW wasn't picked up.

I like your original proposal A LOT. I love the idea of low bidget sci fi tv shows. I just don't like your product.

Yeah, I understand that you said it was a rough cut, but are you going to work this as your final product, or are these really just test footage and you're going to shoot it all again for your final pitch product? Based solely on the live action footage and not the unfinished CGI, it looks more like your pitching that you can make an episode for under 5 grand.That's based entirely on the acting talent, costumes, and cinematography.

Having read back on your post you have said "We have such a production in post right now." I'm assuming the footage is the project that you're referring to. In which case the shot footage IS what you'll end up with, just with all the post production aspects finished.

Pitching to a TV exec is hard, but your target audience should be easy. I watch sci fi, I'm your audience, and from this footage alone (ignoring the unfinished post production) I wouldn't be tuning in.

And what does it matter that you think it's looking better than the Wonder Woman pilot, WW wasn't picked up.

I like your original proposal A LOT. I love the idea of low bidget sci fi tv shows. I just don't like your product.

What does it matter? They made their's with a studio budget and mine is made with an indie budget.

One individual does not make an audience.

We have a far better story that is more complete than Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was re-imaged and the new WW has massive plot holes.

The other clips on Vimeo are outdated. They have been revamped and re-edited. So, there is no point in showing them.

Next year, I'll have a TV studio editor evaluate it before I get it sound mixed.

The action scenes are edited together. But, too many of them need to have their effects finished up.

If you like science fiction more than action, you will like this pilot. If you like action more than science fiction, wait for IC3 - The Singularity. We will be bringing in a stunt coordinator from Hollywood. So, the action will rock.

When all the footage is complete for IC2, with the special effects and backgrounds, I'll cut a trailer and not before.

I like SCI-Fi, and I have to say, I really, really didn't like the footage.

You'd want to be getting better talents and upping your cinematography if you even want to consider pitching this to an exec.

I know it is a very different genre, but think about the pilots for the BBC's 'Sherlock' or JJ Abram's 'Lost'. They were top quality pilots with excellent shot selection, excellent acting talent and they looked slick.

Your shots need to look professional. No offence, and I know you previously said that the footage is a work in progress, but there were too many mid shots and full body shots when the actors were talking. The shots in my opinion looked sloppy and poor.
Storyboard more and really work on your pilot.

You said how the Wonder Woman pilot was crap. Yes it was, and that's why it wasn't picked up by a TV station.
But that doesn't give you the excuse to make your work sub-standard just because it's the pilot.
The pilot is everything, it's make or break for your show, it's what makes it stand out from the hundreds of other pilots pitched each year.

Before working on more sequels etc, may I suggest refining your skills on one piece before getting ahead of yourself.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a harsh criticism, but take what I have to say, and use it. Don't let my criticisms or anyone else's get in the way of what you love doing.

If you have a passion for something, do it and do it well.

Just a side note, that Wonder Woman video was just a passerby recording behind the scenes on (probably) his phone, not the actual product. Haven't seen the actual product, or even heard they tried a pilot, but yeah the Wonder Woman story seems a little silly in modern times.

There's some good advice MDM, but yeah do what you love. I know you've been mulling the I, Creator Universe over for years so if you did get some money behind it it's the kind of complex stuff that fanboys would eat up.

The link you're showing as a "Wonder Woman Rough Cut" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRVodCZV_k ) is not a rough cut of anything - it's some video shot by an onlooker near (not on) the set. That's not what the show is going to look like. If you can't see what's going on there, you need to take a deep breath and start over.

You ask for suggestions and post footage (implying you're ready for a critique) but then slough off any criticism. "It's an indie budget", "one individual does not make an audience," blah, blah. In my earlier question I asked if you could show work product equal to what the networks are used to (but done more inexpensively). They don't care about an indie budget - they want to know if you can deliver the goods. You can't. End of story.

Get some more experience as a grunt and learn the things you're missing. Starting at the top rarely works.

I like SCI-Fi, and I have to say, I really, really didn't like the footage.

You'd want to be getting better talents and upping your cinematography if you even want to consider pitching this to an exec.

I know it is a very different genre, but think about the pilots for the BBC's 'Sherlock' or JJ Abram's 'Lost'. They were top quality pilots with excellent shot selection, excellent acting talent and they looked slick.

Your shots need to look professional. No offence, and I know you previously said that the footage is a work in progress, but there were too many mid shots and full body shots when the actors were talking. The shots in my opinion looked sloppy and poor.
Storyboard more and really work on your pilot.

You said how the Wonder Woman pilot was crap. Yes it was, and that's why it wasn't picked up by a TV station.
But that doesn't give you the excuse to make your work sub-standard just because it's the pilot.
The pilot is everything, it's make or break for your show, it's what makes it stand out from the hundreds of other pilots pitched each year.

Before working on more sequels etc, may I suggest refining your skills on one piece before getting ahead of yourself.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a harsh criticism, but take what I have to say, and use it. Don't let my criticisms or anyone else's get in the way of what you love doing.

If you have a passion for something, do it and do it well.

Our aim is the SyFy Network, where we are competing with The Asylum and other productions that look very indie.

Better cinematography? The DP who shot this freelances for HBO, ESPN, and NBC. So, it is up to their standards.

Our acting is as good as any movie The Asylum has made. But, it will get better with SAG actors.

Our on location audio needs improvement. I am very unhappy with the way it turned out.

There are better DPs who are union guys, no doubt. For the Indie level, our DP is in the top 10%.

Just a side note, that Wonder Woman video was just a passerby recording behind the scenes on (probably) his phone, not the actual product. Haven't seen the actual product, or even heard they tried a pilot, but yeah the Wonder Woman story seems a little silly in modern times.

There's some good advice MDM, but yeah do what you love. I know you've been mulling the I, Creator Universe over for years so if you did get some money behind it it's the kind of complex stuff that fanboys would eat up.

Like I said, I saw the whole 40 minute Wonder Woman pilot at a Comic Con show. The youtube clip is what I can find from the actual production, even though a fan shot it with his camera.

IC2 is better.

And PaulGriffith is right, the footage of Wonder Woman you posted was from a passerby's mobile most likely. Hence why we can see the cameras and the giant rigs.

The pilot is owned by WB. I can't find an Internet version to show.

But, IC2 is better.

The link you're showing as a "Wonder Woman Rough Cut" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRVodCZV_k ) is not a rough cut of anything - it's some video shot by an onlooker near (not on) the set. That's not what the show is going to look like. If you can't see what's going on there, you need to take a deep breath and start over.

You ask for suggestions and post footage (implying you're ready for a critique) but then slough off any criticism. "It's an indie budget", "one individual does not make an audience," blah, blah. In my earlier question I asked if you could show work product equal to what the networks are used to (but done more inexpensively). They don't care about an indie budget - they want to know if you can deliver the goods. You can't. End of story.

Get some more experience as a grunt and learn the things you're missing. Starting at the top rarely works.

It is not the version I saw. The one I saw is a rough cut owned by WB.

Watch some of the stuff by the Film Riot crew. Those guys do shorts on a budget of next to nothing and it looks better than your footage.

Why would you want it to look very 'indie' though?
Wouldn't you want to make it look as professional as you can?

Mate I am a high school student, I've had no training whatsoever and I could make the shots look better. I've never seen anything done by the asylum, but again, kids in my final year high school drama class are more talented than your leads...

Look, you're asking us for feedback and all you seem to be doing is coming up with excuses to our constructive criticisms. Take it on board! I know I sure as hell would!

I'm not trying to knock your stuff, what you're trying to do is great! Just finesse your work a bit more to make it look professional!

Finally, here is a clip from the WW rough cut. http://www.twitvid.com/NTRB5

If my DPs work is good enough for television networks like NBC, HBO, and ESPN, and it is, it's professional enough. He can teach you how to use a camera, setup a shot, and light up a scene.

I don't like people insulting my cast. They did damn good work. They will do better working side by side with SAG actors in the next production.

"Watch some of the stuff by the Film Riot crew. Those guys do shorts on a budget of next to nothing and it looks better than your footage." I highly doubt it.

"Why would you want it to look very 'indie' though?" You're right! That's why it looks professional.
"Wouldn't you want to make it look as professional as you can?" It is!

"Mate I am a high school student, I've had no training whatsoever and I could make the shots look better. I've never seen anything done by the asylum, but again, kids in my final year high school drama class are more talented than your leads..."

I doubt it, since one lead is a union actress in Serbia for 10 years with a pretty big fan base. Another comes from one of the best acting schools in the USA.

"Look, you're asking us for feedback and all you seem to be doing is coming up with excuses to our constructive criticisms. Take it on board! I know I sure as hell would!"

No, you still need to learn good from bad.

"I'm not trying to knock your stuff, what you're trying to do is great! Just finesse your work a bit more to make it look professional!"

You could have fooled me. The final cut will look better, however.

I'm only showing 2 clips that have not been re-edited yet. I'm fresh out of money to have the backgrounds redone for the intro clip. I'm not too fond of the music for the intro either. But, it's royalty free and it's all I can afford for now.

Finally, here is a clip from the WW rough cut. http://www.twitvid.com/NTRB5

If my DPs work is good enough for television networks like NBC, HBO, and ESPN, and it is, it's professional enough. He can teach you how to use a camera, setup a shot, and light up a scene.

I don't like people insulting my cast. They did damn good work. They will do better working side by side with SAG actors in the next production.

"Watch some of the stuff by the Film Riot crew. Those guys do shorts on a budget of next to nothing and it looks better than your footage." I highly doubt it.

"Why would you want it to look very 'indie' though?" You're right! That's why it looks professional.
"Wouldn't you want to make it look as professional as you can?" It is!

"Mate I am a high school student, I've had no training whatsoever and I could make the shots look better. I've never seen anything done by the asylum, but again, kids in my final year high school drama class are more talented than your leads..."

I doubt it, since one lead is a union actress in Serbia for 10 years with a pretty big fan base. Another comes from one of the best acting schools in the USA.

"Look, you're asking us for feedback and all you seem to be doing is coming up with excuses to our constructive criticisms. Take it on board! I know I sure as hell would!"

No, you still need to learn good from bad.

"I'm not trying to knock your stuff, what you're trying to do is great! Just finesse your work a bit more to make it look professional!"

You could have fooled me. The final cut will look better, however.

I'm only showing 2 clips that have not been re-edited yet. I'm fresh out of money to have the backgrounds redone for the intro clip. I'm not too fond of the music for the intro either. But, it's royalty free and it's all I can afford for now.

Back