Who here likes mocumentries?

I do.

That's all.

Nah! I love Christopher Guest, his films rock. I attempted to make a mocumentry about 'the making of an air band' & only my friends & i really understood it... everyone else was just weirded out. Probably because it ended with a cher tribute tour... *shudders* My friend in drag... *shudders again*

How about you guys?

I like them a lot usually, but I think they work better in a TV series format (The Daily Show/ Reno 911). As feature films they tend to get boring (Best in Show/ Spinal Tap).

No!!! I love Best in show!!!

Get him his BUSY BEE!!!

Ha ha ha...

Waiting for Guffman rocks too. :D

We don't have those shows here... :( But I don't understand how the films could get boring...

I think that a feature length mockumentary is plausable, but I haven't seen a good/great one yet.

...they work more easily as shorter pieces (in my opinion).

I guess I kinda understand where you're coming from... some parts are kind of yawn worthy, but I find comedy in the strangest things...

I don't find alot of things that usual people find funny, funny.

& I have this annoying analytical thing that I do when I watch a film & nobody can shut me up for days about it. That's why my friends & family NEVER bring up Quentin Tarantino around me. :lol:

What I consider great comedy:
Something that will make everyone (or, at least most people) laugh.
This is a hard thing to accomplish, but when it happens...it's sweet.

I'm analytical too, but don't let that get in the way of enjoying things from a simple and more pleasing perspective.

analysing is good...over-analysing is bad.

Oh, I don't over-analyse. I just tend to go on about things because I always remember something that happened & usually everyone's over it by then.

I need more film loving friends. All of mine suck. :lol:

haha. I'm the exact same way! I have to control myself sometimes, because I'll want to bring up something that happened hours/ days ago and I have new things to say about it :lol:

& if I really enjoy a film, I'll see it like 3 times just to learn everything I can from it.

But I see films all the time just to see them, only now & then do they have an impact on me. Cinema is such a powerful medium & not everyone appreciates it.

Yes! & my friends just always say "Didn't we see that like last week? I'm over it" & the only person I can ever talk to is my lecturer at film school!!!

That's true, but I'm going to say (even as a filmmaker) music is the most important art form in society.

Film is to art what football is to sports. It's the ultimate "team" art. It takes creative collaboration that was never needed in art before. This is what makes movies so great and so extreme! Anyone creative can paint/photograph/sculpt/etc....it takes a group to create a masterpiece film. That's what I like about movies. They (generally) take more time and effort...and have the potential for more meaning and depth than anything else.

So true.

I'm trying desperatly to remember a quote...

"All you need to make art is talent & luck" or something like that... I believe it was said by James Cameron... I'm not exactly sure.

By the way...I'm just gonna say this...I don't know if you're british or canadian, but my reference to football is american football (similar to rugby)...in case you thought I meant soccer (European football)...haha...I'm going to shut up now and go to bed.

Back