movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Rare Exports - 9/10 - Subtitled horror (thriller) flick about Santa Claus. I realllyyy liked it. The vsfx and cinematography are great. Available on Netflix Instant.

netflixrecents.png

We have Polanski's REPULSION on DVD at the moment and ENTER THE VOID is on the queue.

Yeah, I thought I would on the merits of her OLD JOY (which I did see and enjoyed), but dang. Just didn't feel it. Performances were decent, but it just drrrrraaaaagggged for this viewer.

Last edited:
We have Polanski's REPULSION on DVD at the moment and ENTER THE VOID is on the queue.

And you have The Tenant queued up after, right? Better film than Repulsion, for my money!

I can't enter the Dragon Tattoo conversation because I haven't had time to finish the original (watching the longer version), and have the Fincher dvd waiting for me. So far it's been okay...nothing I'd write home about, stuff I like, stuff I don't. Which is odd because I was expecting the movie to be far more entertaining than the book.

Ha. Don't get me started on The Tenant! My buddy ripped me a DVD that crapped out halfway through!! And I can't find a copy ANYWHERE. So now I wait to see how it ends. Talk about a cliffhanger!

Ha. Don't get me started on The Tenant! My buddy ripped me a DVD that crapped out halfway through!! And I can't find a copy ANYWHERE. So now I wait to see how it ends. Talk about a cliffhanger!

It's not on Netflix? Lame. I'll mail you my copy if you promise to mail it back after you finish! It's one of my favorites!

Bunny and the Bull was so worth seeing for the visuals. Just amazing what that team does with green screen, miniatures and mattes. Wow.

Oyster Farmer was a gem of a film; genuine performances with slice-of-life characters and a good story.

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead was a real surprise.

After watching Melencholia and Antichrist back-to-back I nearly slit my wrists! :lol:

* It is on Netflix listed as "LONG WAIT". I think Criterion is going to release it.

Yeah, I thought I would on the merits of her OLD JOY (which I did see and enjoyed), but dang. Just didn't feel it. Performances were decent, but it just drrrrraaaaagggged for this viewer.
And that exactly what I was observing with GOaB in this post: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=263040#post263040

Re Melancholia: Thank God for fast forward with subtitles.
This miserable boring cr@p is an indie plague I tell you.
It's not just us microscopic no-budget guys.
It's also the several million dollar players, as well.
Lovely execution of miserable boring dirt.
Some more 2011 indie films you should watch to get the true feel of why studios didn't want to pick any of these up include:
- Homework / The Art of Getting By <--- Almost decent
- Like Crazy
- Martha Marcy May Marlene
- Meek's Cutoff <--- Really boring as dirt.
- Take Shelter <--- Really boring as dirt
- The Music Never Stopped <--- Turned it off 22min into it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdGlCeDRmWTFCYXJRWjJ3SUphZDNzMGc#gid=0

Anything marked with a yellow block on the bottom review segment was so boring I couldn't finish:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Hh6cHJBMW5aQkZSMzZYR2V3VUxQVUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

It's educational! ;)

On a 73" HD/3D Mitsubishi (low lights and quality surround sound).

The last Underworld (new DVD release)... watched it in 2D BluRay NOT 3D... Story was wrapped around for action sequences -- weak story -- cool action sequences. C
Last Tron LEGACY on standard 2D DVD (not 3D). Pretty weak story -- but cool imagery (not cool enough). Olivia Wilde is a very beautiful woman/actress and Jeff Bridges a great actor/not so beautiful -- what a waste of talent -- bad movie. D
The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo (loved the 3 books). Very well done, fast-paced but left out a lot of story. A
MI4 -- Ghost Protocol. Clever and entertaining (but with that kind of budget -- should of been better)... B-
Dream House, I actually liked the story -- even though it was flawed and the great actors were under used... C+
Martha Marcy May Marlene -- okay, had a hard time staying awake... C-
The Darkest Hour -- Bad and more bad... D
The Rum Diary -- I enjoy Depp doing 1950's throwback 'history' (love Amber Heard) movies, was a bit of a disappointment. C
Take Shelter, kept waiting for something to happen, very 'sad' character oriented story... D
J. Edgar, like DiCaprio and Eastwood films alot, this was a MUST see, but NOT a "want to see it again" kind of of film. C+
The Killer Elite was just what I thought it would be, no dissappointment. C+
The Double, figured out the ending fifteen minutes into the movie, (I do that a lot). I went to bed after the first 40 minutes. My wife watched and confirmed that I was right with the ending the next morning. Didn't see the whole movie so I cannot grade it.
Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas. Did NOT see the 3D version, was a 2D DVD. I laughed at all the right places. C+ for what it was...
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (read the book in the 1960's) Good cast but very dry and cerebrial... B

Rewatched
12 Monkies (HBO HD 1080i). I am a fan of some Terry Gilliam movies (e.g. Brazil and Fear & Loathing). B+
Conan (3D) I believe the way Robert Howard (author and creater) pictured Conan... still a solid A
Captain America (3D) great comic book action. B+
The Usual Suspects (HBO HD 1080i) great cast, great story, great arcs and awesome pace. A

The Iron Lady 8/10 - Totally not what I was expecting. But fantastic.

There was almost an 'experimental' style to the filming at times, which really fit with the whole 'we're watching her memories and she has dementia' narrative technique.

And wow, I'm not a huge fan of Meryl Streep but just... wow. What an amazing performance. She deserved every award she got.

Her performance and the film itself did a good job of humanizing and making sympathetic a very polarizing person. I may not agree with her politics, but you can't help but respect the woman.

"The World's Greatest Dad"

I enjoyed it a lot. Whodathunk Bobcat-freaking-Goldwait would turn out to be an awesome filmmaker?!

This movie's got some really dark humor, and smart satire, and Robin Williams was terrific in it. Thanks to this movie, I now have to see Goldwait's latest film, "God Bless America".

Solid "B+" in my book.

Cabin In The Woods....8/10. I will say that this film really only seems to be targeted to those who love film and study film.

For the average person, I would probably rate the movie a 6/10. Too funny but not a comedy. No real scares except the couple cheap ones.

The Descendants...9/10. I would have rated a 10/10 but, in my opinion, Clooney's character didn't evolve at all. However, the film does such a good job of showing the range of emotions that a man like that could have in that situation(s).

Borat - 9/10
This was funny as h3ll.
Hall Pass has a few far apart laughs in it.
Role Models was pretty good.
The Hangover Part II was pretty good.
But Borat was just clever in concept and execution.

FYI, while noting the generous ROI, read up on the legal problems that could be argued are only a result of the success... but maybe not so.
Read how the producers basically hoodwinked so many people (400hrs of raw material) and just spend an unheard of amount of time with the film's legal department.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borat#Legal_action_by_participants
Yes, most of the reported cases were dismissed or in the producer's favor.
However, simply preparing and going to court is expensive as Hades - win or loose.
Then consider if this version of guerrilla-style filmmaking is worth the risk.
You better know what you're doing.

I'm on a documentary style kick at the moment and couldn't help but notice the director must have had two cameras running during interviews.
Sure enough: http://cinemawithoutborders.com/cinema-tech/1183-borat-panasonic-s-aj-hdc27-varicam-hd.html

Watching Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts in Hank's unfairly poorly rated directorial debut Larry Crowne (7/10) also got me watching Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts again in the more highly rated Charlie Wilson's War (8/10).
Philip Seymour Hoffman's character Gust is a hoot. Love it.

And just for fun & games: Would you rather make
a poorly received $30 million film that made $68 million in the box office, or...
a well received $75 million film that made $119 million?

Last edited:
And just for fun & games: Would you rather make
a poorly received $30 million film that made $68 million in the box office, or...
a well received $75 million film that made $119 million?

Based on just those numbers alone, the answer is simple. The $75 million film nets $44 million versus the other's $38 million. Whatever gets myself and the studio the most money is always the right answer.

"The World's Greatest Dad"

I enjoyed it a lot. Whodathunk Bobcat-freaking-Goldwait would turn out to be an awesome filmmaker?!

This movie's got some really dark humor, and smart satire, and Robin Williams was terrific in it. Thanks to this movie, I now have to see Goldwait's latest film, "God Bless America".

Solid "B+" in my book.

Yeah, I was really impressed with that when I watched it recently.

Just watched The Best and the Brightest with Neil Patrick Harris. I'm a huge fan of pretty much all of his work, so I'm gonna give this one a solid 8/10.

Watched Melancholia on Netflix instant tonight. Fantastic film. Incredibly depressing, but fantastic. Be beginning is like a super-slow-motion acid trip—beautiful and haunting.

I'll give it a 9.5/10.

Back