movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Children Underground - 8/10 - great documentary and was really surprised by some of the honesty from the (steo) parents

No Strings Attached - 5/10 - it is what it is, had a couple good laughs from it

The Nameless - 5/10 - kept falling asleep through it until something loud happened and then I was lost

Watched `Third star` with Benedict Cumberbatch on BBC i player last night, 7/10. A story about a man who is dying of cancer going on a last trip with his mates. Quite funny and emotional

Hugo. 3 out of five stars.

The sets and cinematogrpahy were awesome. The story was okay.

Some parts i like. Some i didn't.

This last week:

Bowling for Columbine
8/10 Moore's documentaries can be more entertaining than most films- but he just went crazy here. Nicely edited, great montages, a solid mission and perfect use of the perfect interviews.

Inception
9/10 Forgot how brilliant this film is! Amazing visuals to amazing action- and a perfect screenplay. But the brains never overwhelm the emotion- or vice versa. Nice balance- making it one of the best action movies of all time.

Breathless
10/10 Indescribable....except maybe that it's spectacularly beautiful in every way, from the lines to the cinematography to the buoyant editing.

Black Dynamite
7/10 One of the most entertaining B-movies ever.

House (1977 Japanese horror)
7/10 Amazing production values and startling editing. Technically a game-changer, but its held back by its lazy plot.

Dazed and Confused
9/10 One of those films that just immerses you in a world, time and attitude- and doesn't let you go. Outstanding, layered plot, dialogue, characters and spectacular direction. Perfect soundtrack as as well.

Last edited:
These Amazing Shadows: The Movies That Make America

Really nice. Do you love movies? Of course you do. Check this out. True, it might have been nice if they'd gone a little more into what they actually do to preserve films and the issues involved etc. Instead, it's more about the importance of film in our lives and of preserving that for posterity. So, it might be fair to say it is a little bit fluffy. But even if you don't care what the Man puts in His registry, it's still a nice review of/love letter to cinema.

The story of Baby Face (1933) alone is probably enough to make a viewing worthwhile.

I saw a Netflix poster whining about it being a PBSy documentary. As if that's a bad thing. Far and away better than the crap the History and Discovery Channels make with its shrill, banging soundtracks, MTV editing, and tabloid quality content.

I noticed that the lighting of its interviewees is very nice. But I also noticed that it's almost all the same. So, I think if I had had a say, I would have suggested we light a few more of them a little differently, just to mix it up a bit. But like I said, it's well done the way it is. If ain't broke...

Hey, did you know you can nominate/vote for films to be added to the registry?

Nominate films for the 2012 National Film Registry

Bonnie and Clyde
10/10 Everything is so perfect- the acting, the screenplay, the use of music, the drama. My expectations were blown away by the first thirteen minutes- and it just kept getting better. Definitely now one of my favorite films of all time. Masterpiece. :clap:

Also, this joins Thelma and Louise and Changeling as the only films that have actually moved me to tears. The ending was so masterfully done.

Last edited:
Barney's Version-3 and a half out of five. Paul Giammatti? is hilariously and great as always. Dustin Hoffman was pretty good too. Unexpected that i'd enjoy this film. GF picked it up.
The Iron Lady - 3 ot of five. Meryl was great.

Based on Morris' super duper snooper post about some idiot trying to rip off a state's film tax credit system...
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=262397#post262397
... I hunted down a local library DVD of the inciting subject.
THE LIGHTKEEPERS - 3/10
Terrible.
I turned it off twenty minutes in.
It was just so contrived and corny I could hardly believe anyone in this day and age would shoot cr@p like this.
It wasn't even fit for the Hallmark Channel.
WTH was Dreyfus thinking?! My God! That fake @ss accent was just stomach turning.

Oh! And they only found financing to the tune of $4,500,000 (estimated) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156067/business
It "earned $32,307 on a single screen."
http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1226142&srvc=home&position=also

Another well deserved fine fiscal monkey punch to the anus
220154_o.gif

Haywire - 6.5/10
Not bad.
I have mixed feelings on this, honestly.
On the one hand it's not traditional "entertainment" spywork, like SPYGAME or TRAITOR.
On the other hand it's emotionally played closer to what real trade craft people likely act for real, IOW without all the normal emoting HWood foists upon actors for the supposed benefit of the audience.
I probably ought to watch STATE OF PLAY NEXT.
Now, what's funny is to watch HAYWIRE on the relative heels of watching ANGEL OF DEATH
HAYWIRE feeeeeels like a movie, whereas AOD feeeeeels like... I dunno. Something... artificial.
It ain't no SALT (that's for sure), although SALT did have more traditional HWood feel to it I enjoyed HAYWIRE more, but couldn't honestly recommend watching either.

Monkey Punch to the Anus

I want to see this film. :D
One of these days I'll get around to developing my animation skills and your want will fill up your hand faster than sh!t will the other! :lol:

Last edited:
Ten Tiny Love Stories - 7/10 (This one is a great example of what could be done with almost no budget, as it's basically just ten women sitting in a room telling stories).

The Way - 9.5/10

Everything Must Go - 7/10 (I was pleasantly surprised by this one.)

Friends (with Benefits) - 6/10

Strictly Sexual - 8/10

Just watched ATTACK THE BLOCK in film class today and I'll give it: :):):):)/5

It's freaking hilarious and also somewhat thrilling. Plus, Nick freaking Frost is in it... :cool:

The Tree of Life - Depends. 9.5/10 if you know what you're looking at and get it, 4/10 if you don't and don't.

A few months ago I finally developed the distinction between a film that is good and one that I enjoy.
This is a good film and I sort of enjoy it, kinda like Valhalla Rising.

While watching what Terence Malick directed I want to slap a wide angle lens on my camera and run around in the shade after my kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRYA1dxP_0

I very much enjoyed Malick's work in The New World and can see the evolution of his story telling into Tree based on some of the camerawork from World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBalQOW-Hqg

Also: It's absolute bullsh!t only Pitt & Penn received any attention about this film. Jessica Chastain was every bit as important as the father and son relationship conflicted with the mother and son relationship.
Complete rubbish.
She is delightful.

tree-of-life-movie-image-jessica-chastain-01-600x400.jpg

http://collider.com/jessica-chastain-interview-tree-of-life/93397/

Last edited:
Last watched Robert Redfords `The Conspirator`

Nice film, 8/10 had some gorgeous looking shots and an interesting story

Just got back from seeing THE AVENGERS. I'll give it a 9/10.

The action was amazing, and it's hilarious! Watch out for some other movie reference too. :P

BTW, I just looked at the technical specs in IMDB and found out some of the movie was shot with the Canon 5D! Purty cool!!

Back