movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Blind Husbands directed by Erich von Stroheim - 7.5/10
A great early silent film from 1919 that utilizes cinematic storytelling techniques quite effectively. Unfortunately the film is not as engaging as my favorite silent films (which are from the 1920's), however, I like this film more than any films I've seen from the 1910's. There were some memorable scenes, great cinematography in some parts, and a very surprising ending. The rest of the film is just okay, though I think audiences back in 1919 must've been impressed by what I consider to be just "okay." I look forward to exploring some of Stroheim's other films soon!

A Charlie Brown Christmas directed by Bill Melendez - 10/10
This is actually my first time ever watching this special and it is just incredible. Its pretty perfect, even its flaws seem to me to be charming quirks. I love the message of this film as well, I look forward to watching this every year!

How The Grinch Stole Christmas directed by Chuck Jones & Ben Washam - 10/10
This was a favorite of mine growing up and it still holds up. I love Boris Karloff's voice work and narration, as well as the rhymes in this film. Another perfect Christmas classic I will watch every year!

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964) -- 1/5
As bad as you'd think, but strangely enjoyable. Watch it if you want a laugh. Made with a budget of $200,000 apparently, hard to see exactly where the money went though. But any film that manages to cram in martians, Santa Claus, a robot and a polar bear deserves at least a star in my book. Hooray for Santy Claus!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964) -- 1/5

Oh wow, I really wanted to see this one but I saved it for tomorrow, I can't wait to watch it!

The Small One directed by Don Bluth - 9/10
A very underrated Disney Christmas short film. I love the artwork in this one and its simple story. Although the Christmas element is only revealed at the end the film it made for a strong kind of twist. The songs in this film were also great and catchy.

Her - 9/10
Beautiful in almost every way, acting, writing, music, color palette. Maybe it was just too long and I didn't appreciate the false endings. Some of the 3rd act took me out of it slightly.

Insie Llewyn Davis - 6/10
Loved the lead character and his acting, otherwise very average movie. I like the scenes that were very realistic and the way it would actually happen in real life (which can be rare in cinema), but I'm not a fan of most of the Coen Brothers' whimsical scenes. I like slow artsy films and I like faster films with complex plots but this fell somewhere in between.

Amour (2nd watch) - 8/10
Liked it MUCH better the 2nd time around. His camera style is so simple yet so powerful. Can't get some of the scenes out of my head, great acting, phenomenal writing. But the ending takes me out of it a little on this one too.

Last edited:
Mickey's Christmas Carol directed by Burny Mattinson - 10/10
The best of the Disney Christmas shorts I've seen. I love how it is just a straight-forward telling of the story with Disney's magical charm. It's just a perfect holiday special.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians directed by Nicholas Webster - 3/10
One of the best bad Christmas movies of all-time! I actually liked the song in the film, its portrayal of aliens, and the strange atmosphere of it. I sometimes wonder how audiences reacted to films like this and what was on the director's mind while making the film. This film is not actually as wacky as its title suggests but it still has enough charms to be a great bad movie.

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny - 1.5/10
Ugh, this was even worse than Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. This isn't even a real Christmas movie since it turns into another film about Thumbelina twenty minutes in. There is a lot of wacky moments that are fun to laugh at but it seems like the story of Thumbelina takes way too much time. I only recommend it to bad movie lovers and only view it once, I don't think I'll find myself re-watching this one unlike Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Wow, guess a lot of critics don't like it, with only a 49% from them on RT. But, the audience gives it a 76% so far. Eh, critics smitics. This time the audience is right. I liked it. Thumbs up. It's just a pleasantly inspirational and romantic film.

Crystal Fairy & the Magical Cactus. Quite good. Recommend.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Wow, guess a lot of critics don't like it, with only a 49% from them on RT. But, the audience gives it a 76% so far. Eh, critics smitics. This time the audience is right. I liked it. Thumbs up. It's just a pleasantly inspirational and romantic film.

the preview i saw made it look strikingly similar to 'along came polly' another film by ben stiller. is this correct?

Secret Life of Walter Mitty: 7/10

Loved the different landscapes and places he visited.

Had some nice comedy, but that cliche love story.

I think the preview hyped it up too much.

Tangled directed by Nathan Greno & Byron Howard - 8.5/10
A very great animated film, one of Disney's (note: not Pixar) best films in many years. I loved the way it fleshes out the Rapunzel story, the animation (esp. the lanterns scene), and the characters. There are many memorable scenes, the only thing that keeps this from being one of my absolute favorites is that it doesn't communicate something really meaningful to me in the way Miyazaki's films, older Disney films, and some of Pixar's films do. Still, a great film!

Once A Thief directed by John Woo - 7.5/10
One of Woo's lesser films, I read it was one of his "lightweight" works. However, I still loved this one. I know its a really flawed film, the story is not up to Woo's standards, some parts are way over-the-top, but I don't care this film is just a lot of fun and its actually hilarious too. This is one of those films where I think the concept is good, the script is not that good, but the execution of the material is what makes it stand out. Also, these Hong Kong action films all have a special charm to them that make them enjoyable even with their flaws!

the preview i saw made it look strikingly similar to 'along came polly' another film by ben stiller. is this correct?

Sorry, I haven't seen Along Came Polly. :blush:

Tangled directed by Nathan Greno & Byron Howard - 8.5/10
A very great animated film, one of Disney's (note: not Pixar) best films in many years. I loved the way it fleshes out the Rapunzel story, the animation (esp. the lanterns scene), and the characters. There are many memorable scenes, the only thing that keeps this from being one of my absolute favorites is that it doesn't communicate something really meaningful to me in the way Miyazaki's films, older Disney films, and some of Pixar's films do. Still, a great film!

I loved Tangled! =)

Watched Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows again (first time since it was at the cinema)

B+ (The first is still A++ in my books...in comparision I've watched the first at least 20 times in full). Too many dialogue scenes where they just say witty stuff less relevant to the end goal, particularly in the first half. Slow motion scenes and all the fight scenes are clever/funny as usual. Still disappointed in the Moriarty Actor and in the death of
Irene Adler especially so early

I still am keen for a third.

The Place Beyond the Pines - 2/10 if you're mentally normal, 8/10 if you are entertained by ugly dysfunctional "stories."
FWIW, I didn't care much for the director's 'Blue Valentine' either. :no:
So, if you liked that you'll like this, too! :yes:
And you may also enjoy 'The Son of No One for something between your miserable bookends.' :D

Bonus: It's "entertainment' value escapes me, but I am CLEARLY in the minority.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1817273/board/nest/218586317?ref_=tt_bd_6
Q: What makes this movie good? Why does everyone who likes this movie say, "it's about father's and sons"? Like oh, now it's a good movie. This movie was directionless. It's 2 1/2 hours I can't get back.

A: I mean, what makes any movie good? Great acting, writing, cinematography and style, an innovative and compelling narrative, and some thematic depth, all of which were on display in this film. Every moment felt more realistic than in the average film, and every substory was handled with total realism and attention to detail. Just the fact that a gripping, old-fashioned motorcycle chase and a drug-fueled teen party scene with blaring rap music could fit into the same film without making it feel uneven is an accomplishment.

Everything you just said is all I want in a movie and this one was perfectly done. Each second of the movie was in his place and I couldn't imagine it any other way. Loving any film is really a matters of taste and opinion but a sadly too big part of our society just don't get movies.​

Pfft.
I don't get this one.
And I just don't care about it.

Last edited:
Back