movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Meet John Doe directed by Frank Capra - 10/10
One of Capra's classic masterpieces! This film is just perfect, the storytelling is incredible and the message of the film will definitely stay with me. Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck give excellent performances in this film, and the screenplay is excellent. I wonder why Capra doesn't have as great a reputation as Ford, Hawks, or Welles with cinephiles because I think he's every bit as great as them. It's a shame he didn't get to make as many classics as he could have.

So to continue with the aussie films I'mm watching, I just watched Animal Kingdom

I'll give it a B+. Some parts I found quite emotionally powerful and frustrating, and I loved the acting from most of the actors. Might have got an A if they didn't kill off
Laura Wheelright's
character ;)

The Day A Pig Fell Into The Well directed by Hong sang-soo - 9/10
The more I watch films, the more I am astonished by what the medium can do. Although I can't quite say this is a perfect film because it mainly engaged me intellectually and not as much emotionally, Hong's masterful directing just blew my mind. This film has a strange way of connecting four stories, all of which are interesting (and written by four different screenwriters). This is easily one of the best debut films I have ever seen, and I look forward to watching more of Hong's work.

Saving Mr. Banks.

Pretty darn good. B+

More Than Honey. Very nicely shot. But I stopped watching just a little ways in when it became clear, yes, they really are not going to translate what the dudes are saying. Annoying. And I'm pretty interested in the subject. It might be a lovely film otherwise, but it is absurd not to give us subtitles or a voice-over translation. It gets a D for the lack of translations. Oy.

Last edited:
The Wolf of Wall Street
One of the best movies I've ever seen. In my top 5. it was long (3 hours) but it was a great movie. More tits money and drugs than you can handle. Its about a super successful stock business this guy makes (Played by Leonardo DiCaprio). Overall I give it a 9.5/10. Highly suggest it

La soufrière directed by Werner Herzog - 10/10
Brave filmmaking at its finest! Herzog has a talent for just discovering some of the most interesting stories for documentaries. Herzog and his cameramen go to a volcano that's about to erupt, and they interview people who refuse to leave their town and are willing to die. One peasant in the film is one of the most fascinating characters I've seen in cinema, and he's real! At 30 minutes the film is concise and accessible for those who are not used to Herzog's films.

Last edited:
Thanks to Netflix, been rewatching some old Disney films I liked as a kid.

The Sword In The Stone - 6/10
When I was young, I loved this movie, but I always thought it would have been better without the songs. Time has not changed my opinion; in fact, some of them I found very grating. Still, loved the wizard's duel and I have a soft spot for getting me into Arthurian myths. I'm probably not going to want to rewatch it anytime soon though.

Robin Hood - 8/10
This time around, the songs work a little better (and are better songs), so while I'm still not a fan of musicals, I like it more here. I may have liked this one better as a kid (can't say which one I watched more often though), and it holds up pretty well. A cartoon fox is the first thing I think about when watching any adaptation of Robin Hood...impressive since it's been about 20 years since I'd last seen it! I still love the film, which is more than I can say about Sword In The Stone, so I'm sure I'll rewatch it before two long

(and now I'm cheating because I don't think this one is on Netflix. It's the only one I own on DVD though and watched it at the same time)

The Black Cauldron - 9/10
My girlfriend (also a fantasy fan, but had never seen this) repeated several times throughout watching "how did this ever get made?" Far more grim and gruesome than most Disney...you'd have to go back to Fantasia and even that didn't have the rotting flesh stripped off the bones of the villain at the end. No songs so I can't complain about that. Loved it when it first came out, but Disney sort of buried it, so it was years before I saw it again. Easily my favorite Disney cartoon and it still is. If you haven't read the books, it sort of combines the first two of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles (5 in the series), which uses Welsh mythology and folklore as a touchstone. Rereading the books now, after watching the cartoon, I would love to see someone do a proper version. Fantasy is pretty popular these days, so maybe now's the time to do it! (and I'm sure Disney has all film rights locked down on that, but if any of you somehow decide to make these films, you are hereby obligated to have me do the music :D)

My Love directed by Aleksandr Petrov - 10/10
One of the most beautiful films I've seen in my life. It's one of my favorite animated films and one of the finest films on romantic desire. The film explores both the inner psychology and what's going on with the characters. What I love is that Petrov does this almost purely through visual means and gives smooth transitions. The film also explores both the spiritual and the profane, love and lust, in a genuine manner that I have seen in few films. Petrov's oil painting animation brings some of the most beautiful images in cinema to life. It's unfortunate that Petrov can't make a feature film due to lack of funding :(

I thought so too, Wreckerman893.

Thanks to Netflix, been rewatching some old Disney films I liked as a kid.

Why, you rascal. Now, thanks to you and Saving Mr. Banks, I'm going to have to spend some time watching some of these, especially The Black Cauldron. Not sure I ever saw it. But right now I have half an urge to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which I remember loving, but haven't seen for so long. And why haven't I seen it for so long? I have long and vaguely wondered if it had any influence on J.K. Rowling. =)

Oh, man, I loved Bedknobs and Broomsticks! The book was pretty awesome too. I'll have to add that to my rewatch list as well!

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Moments of epicness:

Gandalf discovering the identity of The Necromancer.
Legolas's entrance.
Bilbo and Smaug.
The entire barrel chase scene.

Overall a 10/10 from me. I enjoyed spending three hours in the world of Middle-Earth and will gladly spend three more again when There and Back Again is released. I could also go for a series covering the entirety of The Silmarillion novel - which at this stage is an impossibility due to Christoper Tolkien not wanting to sell the film rights to that novel.

But one day perhaps it will be adapted and if so it should be done as a series because there's so many events to cover.

Dragon Gate Inn directed by King Hu - 10/10
The perfect wuxia film! This film just has way too many great scenes, even before the action starts kicking in. The story and characters are simple but very effective for this kind of film. I love the fight choreography here, it's like a dance. Visually I love the colors in the film, I wish I could watch it on the big screen!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Extended Edition.

I bought the ridiculously priced 3D version, in case I ever get a 3D setup. Anyway, the thing is, it didn't seem to have much extended parts to it. Oh well, hard to imagine settling for the theatrical version, all the same. Looks beautiful, save for Jax's caveats, meaning, I'm sure it could have looked even better shot on Alexas or on film. Anyway, looking forward to someday going through all of the extras.

Watching American Horror Story Season 2. So glad it's finally out on Netflix. Still have some episodes to go. It's so ridiculously over the top, but that's its charm. Can't sing Jessica Lange's praises enough. If I actually were a filmmaker, and could pull in actors at that level, she'd be at the top of my list to work with. No question.

You're Next 7/10 - IMDB entry here
Mostly shot in and around a single large isolated home. I read somewhere it was shot for under a million but returned 100x that at the box office.

Very entertaining. I will not spoil the surprise but it was a good one. Some of the acting and dialogue was terrible but the pace and general story made up for it. Also it hit you with 3x twists.

Great example of a low budget movie doing well, being entertaining and making $$$$$.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUQWpEkbf0

Lone Survivor 9/10
Based on a true story. I read the book. The movie diverts from the book (a lot) when the SEAL reaches the Afghan village.

Highly realistic righting scenes - you feel the hits and impacts the SEALs are taking. You're brought into the fighting. Very powerful story.

This movie and Black Hawk Down are now tied as my #1 war movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM

Last edited:
Shooter 3/5 with marky mark. i liked the camera work but the writing was dumb. some conspiracy nut 'nothing ever happens without the government approving it' uhhh yeah right. the government is some all knowing all powerful entity. sadly some people believe this crap. the government couldn't even keep bill clintons BLOW JOB a secret. lets be real here

What in the hell happened to danny glovers voice?
He is spheaking wish sheese horrible s noishes. I've never been so annoyed by an actor and couldn't wait until his parts were over

Back