movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Die Hard 5 - blecgh!

Imagine a Die Hard movie, as directed by Michael Bay. Actually, I think that would be pretty sweet. But then, imagine that movie spoofed by the South Park dudes, except they don't play it for comedy. This movie is a parody of itself, without realizing it. I'll at least give it a "D", because there were a couple of brief moments that were kinda exciting, otherwise this movie is just plain no fun.

I Am Number Four - 4/10
My thirteen year old daughter seemed to enjoy it, whereas I did not.

The Apparition - 3/10
Completely effing stupid. Not only is the story just shoddy but it's not even remotely scary, maybe just a little creepy. Creepy-lite. Thhp. Missable.

SpaceBalls! - 7/10
Puerile entertainment. Lotta foul language, surprisingly.

Hairspray - 9/10
Good story, delightful movie, songs are great, IDK what the purpose of casting JTravolta was but... whatever, couldn't take my eyes off the lead's upper arms. Goodness.

Will Smith marathon... !
Independence Day - 9/10
Good, wholesome, brainless weekend/holiday bubblegum.

I Am Legend - 6/10
A little slow, the CGI "hemocytes" are complete BS, the blood thing at the end was complete BS.

I, Robot - 7.5/10
Story's decent enough, CGI robots suck, action keeps this pig rolling okay.

Last edited:
Argo 7/10

A lot of fun in the first half, then it just sort of becomes this other movie. This can work sometimes, it just felt a bit wonky with this one.

IMHO

Argo 7/10

A lot of fun in the first half, then it just sort of becomes this other movie. This can work sometimes, it just felt a bit wonky with this one.

IMHO

Corman's World.

If you are a film fan, this is a must-see.

--Filmthreat.com

Yes.

Recommend.

The Life of Reilly.

I did not care for the rapid and constant cutting from camera to camera. But it's such a good show that it's worth putting up with that. Anyway, what do I know? Maybe it couldn't be edited in a better way.

Recommend.

End Of Watch - 8/10
Very pleased with the pacing of this.
Not too happy with the "meh... " ending
Seems like the writer/director pussed out on such a big build up.

Looper - 7.5/10
One of the better lo-fi scifi's recently available.
This would be a good film for a nubie filmmaker to practice the lo-tech production of a derivative short.

Premium Rush - 6/10
Fairly watchable for the first hour.
Then all the silly bicycling gets kinda old.

Dream House - 3/10
Missable.
Other than the burning down the house part at the end, this is a weak @ss ghost story better suited for the Lifetime channel.

HO-LEE SH!T!!!
The budget for Dream House was $50m.
The budget for End of Watch was $7m.
In-effing-credible what one producer/director can do with cash vs. what another producer/director can do.
Unbelievable.

Robot & Frank - 8/10
A must see for indie filmmakers.
Other than the Asimo robot prop, this is definitely doable as a lo/no budget film.
And it's a nice little story, too.

Lawless - 5.5/10
Meh... It's okay.
Jessica Chastain's boobies: Yay.
ola.gif

Piranha (2010) - 7/10
Decent gory fun horror.
Modern grindhouse-esque.
About time I saw some boobies that wasn't in such a dysfunctional state as to not be entertaining.

Last edited:
I've been on a bad disaster movie kick lately...

Post Impact: 3/10 (this one got an extra point for Dean Cain with a beard)

Vanishing on Seventh Street: 6/10 (I want to rewatch this one, had a hard time really getting into it, but I feel like it's maybe better than I'm giving it credit for being)

The Hole: 7/10

Metal Tornado: 2/10

Category 6: Day of Destruction (2 part miniseries): 3/10 (got an extra point for having Michael Shanks)

The Andromeda Strain: 7/10

The Amazing Spiderman - 6/10
I wasn't too amazed.
Fair to par for the comic-to-film genre.
Can't believe Emma Stone agreed to do this. Pfft. Okay.

Machete Joe - 3/10
That's a link to the imdb reviews. They aren't charitable. And pro reviews aren't any better.
Caught this one on Comcast Xfinity On Demand.
It makes for an interesting lo/no budget film to dissect.
A production budget isn't readily available online, but I'm going to guess it's between $80-$110k.
I can't find any interviews with the director or star.
Looks like it was a direct to video affair, definitely shot on a prosumer camcorder.
The story itself was a disaster. A pox upon the writer.
The location was great. Kudos for maximizing a single location + bonus for making it a night time setting. Smart.
The actors did a fairly decent job for the cr@p script they were handed.
The camera shots were meh, although lit very well.
Audio was good enuff.
Cr@p story. Cr@p, cr@p, cr@p.
Shame.

'MJ's distributor: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0332149/?ref_=fn_al_co_2
I gotta see how far $4m carries BillyBob and Eva: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836944/

Last edited:
Oz, the Great and Powerful.

A-

I can't say that it's a great film. But it's at least a good film. It didn't sweep me off my feet, like you would expect a great film to do. But aren't we all pretty resistant to being swept off our feet by now? A "B" grade wouldn't seem adequate or fair, as far as I'm concerned. Overall, the film is charming and entertaining.

I read some reviews complaining about Mila Kunis's performance being mechanical. Having seen it now, I think that's bunk. She did just fine. But, I will say this, and my movie pal thought so too, and that is that
the makeup for her Wicked Witch of the West left something to be desired, was distracting, disappointing. Also, not Mila's fault, but character-wise, Theodora just doesn't seem evil enough, especially given that she's also more a dupe/victim of her sister than anything else.

The 3D is pretty darn good, maybe not 100% of the time, but most of the time. The film is overall very nice to look at. I think that it could have benefited from 48 FPS. Now, when I see that blur from fast camera pans, well, I don't like it. So, at least when it comes to 3D spectacles like this, give me 48 FPS.

Stoker
Really really enjoyed it. It does 'macguffin' on for a good while, and about the hour mark I still wasn't sure what I was watching but it looks incredible and the final third is deliciously well done. Think Hitchcock meets Lynch. Has been stuck in my head since I watched it. Can't wait to rewatch. 9/10

Old boy 8/10 - Great story, cool pacing.
Sound of noise 3/10 - Overrated by hipsters.
The Raid 9/10 - Wanna see a real action movie? Simple story, great camera work, fighting. The Raid is exactly what you want to see.

Back