movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

I'm still a sucker for the slow burn ghost story (Woman in Black, The Orphanage, The Others). I actually liked the Paranormal Activity movies, but they don't really stand up to repeat viewing.

Currently watching Darkness (that movie with Anna Paquin that stayed on a shelf for two years before evaporating instantly upon theatrical release). I say "watching" because I started it last night and after about 50 minutes, I though it must surely be almost over. But it wasn't. So I'm continuing it tonight.

That is one slow friggin' movie. Does start to pick up a bit in the middle. At least, it seems like it's about to. I think.

I hope.

Got bored last night. Decided to watch some Troma smut on cable On Demand.
LOL! What sh!t.

Troma was my first job in high school. I worked with them as a production assistant for about 2 days in the 80s.

My responsibilities were the following:

a) Make a papier mache caveman club.
b) Make hot dogs.

I'll always have a soft spot for those guys.

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) - 2/10 - awful...just god awful...turned it off after 20 minutes, and fast forwarding...

30 Minutes or Less - 4/10 - a couple decent jokes, but most were terrible...

The Hunger Games - 6/10
Meh. It was fair.
Done relatively well, especially after the cinematographer chilled on the spaz-ti-cam.
Lawrence was fine.
The story seemed... juvenile.
I know the film must've left out a lot of what was in the book, which I haven't read, but I suspect it wasn't much better.

Julia - 4/10 - really couldn't get into it, turned it off after about 45 minutes

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 5/10 - turned it off after an hour, didn't really care for it too much

Piranha - 3/10 - awful film; Kelly Brook is amazing though

Margin Call - 6.5/10 - interesting film: wasn't too bad just seemed to end a little flat for me

Juan of the Dead - 4/10
After running across this amusing GIF:
c1ae2e2bea.gif
I learned the name of the film, and fortunately my local library had it!

The trailer looks pretty good, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOquktXvkT4

Yeah, well... Just keep watching that over and over again.

The film's got plenty of good ideas poorly stitched together in a barely coherent story.
Excellent production values. Just poorly buggered by the screenplay. Might be a cultural barrier for the humor. I dunno.

Last edited:
Clash of the Titans (2010) - 6/10
Second viewing, just to give it another chance before watching Wrath of the Titans tonight.
Meh. Elaborate this and that. Lotta running around for what I'm supposed to enjoy.
I dunno.
It just generated no emotional involvement.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - 6/10
Nice enough story.
Makes me really question the point of cookie cutter three act structure. It's so formulaic and done to death.
Maybe the sign of a GOOD three act is that you're no so bored you're waiting and anticipating for the inevitable this and that.
I wonder if "normal" audiences even care or if it registers with them, actively or passively.

The Iron Lady - turned it off after 10mins. Snore. I got better things to do.

The Hunger Games - 7.5/10 - entertaining film. Kinda wish I wouldve seen it on the big screen. Will probably do so for the remaining ones

Last weekends Films...

Dear Wendy... There's just so many things that just don't make sense in this film, the "twist" was enjoyable but it was all laughable rather tense, silly rather than gripping. 5/10

Old Boy... Totally awesome, looked beautiful, lot's of really great editing. Nice and disturbing with an ambiguous ending. 9/10

Stalker... Really struggled to keep awake during this epic. Although the imagery (rather than the story) has been haunting me since. Some uttterly jaw dropping cinematography throughout this. Defo worth a rewatch once I get through the rest of my Tarkovsky boxset. 7.5/10

Wrath of the Titans - 6.5/10
Decent story and execution.
Woulda been nice to see Rosamund Pike with more of a role to play in the story, but the tie-in between the strength Persus received from his son and the strength Zeus received from his was nice.

Immortals - 7/10
Although the overall story is a bit arid, it's a beautiful presentation of much of the same material in the above Wrath of teh Titans: Zeus and the gods of Olympus, Titans and their imprisonment in Tartarus, divine weapons, common mythology such as the minotaur in both films.
Speaking of goddesses: Frieda Pinto. Sigh.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...o+2012&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Let the Bullets Fly - 8/10

" Time Out Hong Kong called the acting "masterclass throughout" while noting that it may take a "native Chinese to fully appreciate.""
http://www.timeout.com.hk/film/features/39445/let-the-bullets-fly.html

To "fully" appreciate. But I'm pretty sure I picked up on at least 95% of the story and subtext.
This is a very well made film.
Funny. Like if FIST FULL OF DOLLARS were re-directed by Edgar Wright funny.
Well written, directed and especially acted by Jiang Wen.
I'm going to keep my eye on this guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Wen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFoLfRA5ghw
The film is funnier than this commercial makes it appear.

Last edited:
Metropolis Restored. How do you give a number rating to something like this? So, I won't. But, some of it, at least, is brilliant! Glad I finally watched it. Don't know if I ever will again. There's a lot of breast clutching in this movie. A lot of left breast clutching, actually. Not complaining. Just...kinda struck me, heheh, er.

Finally started watching Game of Thrones.

Really enjoying the show. Wow, this can't be cheap to produce. It's really something how some of the best dramatic shows and entertainment continue to be made on premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

Last edited:
Man, I really want to see that restored Metropolis. Lucky you. :cool:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Elderly & Beautiful : Run, don't walk, to see this on a big screen if it's still playing near you. Stellar cast, and all of them with the most amazing characters. If you've ever wanted to see an incredible example of character growth, this movie has it in abundance. Had me choked up at several points. Love it. :blush:

The Amazing Spiderman : I recall it being quite... long. Didn't buy the teenage age bracket at all, from anyone at the highschool. Seemed to have several arcs drop off during the film (the dude taking the DNA stuff in the cab; the relevancy of Peter's photography; the search for the dude with the tatooed forearm). Once again, very unimpressed with whole 3D thing. (The 2D version was playing too late) I really just don't get it.

Avengers has just started at the dollar theater... that's next on the list. :)

Last edited:
Snow White and the Huntsman - 4.5/10
Meh. I wouldn't recommend you NOT seeing it, there's just little to gain from watching it.
You've already seen plenty of CGI SFX comparable to what you'll see in this.
KStew is... laughably hardly the most fairest woman in all of... whatever English countryside this is supposed to be in.

Really?
Seriously?
This is the best they got? ---> http://filmsugar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/snow-white-huntsman-image-kristen-stewart.jpg
In all the land?

Okay.
You gots what youze gots. :rolleyes: (Headzup! Lower blepharoplasty coming in a decade!)

Umm... CTheron's doing Shakespearean stage acting while everyone else is doing "this is real" acting.
Fine. Whatevs.

What to Do in a Zombie Attack 6/10
It's a short. For some bizarre reason my public library had this on DVD.
I just now discovered it's on youtube.
Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzkJbWl45kU
The DVD extras are cute.
IDK WTH they spent $250 on, but it's at least educational. Ha! :lol:
Check out the YT views: 3,499,639
Impressive.

Communion - 4/10
Only if you wanna get caught up on ALLLLL of the available alien abduction films you can.
Meh.

communion-rectal-probe.jpg

Decent story and animation find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACHVwA1D8fE

True Romance - 5/10
Turned it off after about forty minutes into it.
I've seen enough of these late '80s early '90s "everyone's a scumbag and it's all gonna be just effed up" films.
I can definitely see Tarantino's flavor of writing in this. Little bit of Pulp Fiction. Little bit of Natural Born Killers.
If I had to take a wild guess... I'd say he didn't direct this and sold it just because it wasn't as "fun" as the films he does choose to direct. Or else the late Tony Scott just made this story a bit darker than the screenplay alone could have been done.

Fantastic cast.
Really impressive.

I just don't care for the genré, but it'll make any f#cked up cop&crook story lover happy.

Last edited:
If I had to take a wild guess... I'd say he didn't direct this and sold it just because it wasn't as "fun" as the films he does choose to direct. Or else the late Tony Scott just made this story a bit darker than the screenplay alone could have been done.

Apparently Tarantino gave Scott the choice of True Romance or Reservoir Dogs and he'd do the other one.

Aliens... Obv seen before but not for a long time. Was the Deluxe Edition (or whatever it's called) and I was really suprised just how jarring the "removed" scenes were. The dialogue and the VFX really date this, especially compared to Alien which still looks amazing.

Drag Me to Hell and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I like Drag Me to Hell. Prefer the theatrical cut. I think people sometimes take horror movies way too seriously, and I can appreciate it when a guy like Sam Raimi just wants to have a little fun.

Indy 4? Well, not as horrible as I remembered. I like to think of it as an "encore", rather than an actual part of the series. With lowered expectations, it's enjoyable enough. I guess. Could have used less Marion and son.

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel: 10/10 Really terrific movie with an amazing cast

Seeking a Friend for the End of the Universe: 8/10 Low key apocalyptic movie, which seems like an oxymoron. I liked it, but it's certainly a niche movie.

ShockingMind said:
Aliens... Obv seen before but not for a long time. Was the Deluxe Edition (or whatever it's called) and I was really suprised just how jarring the "removed" scenes were. The dialogue and the VFX really date this, especially compared to Alien which still looks amazing.
Ayuh.
Although the extra material does provide an ever so slight better insight into parts of the story, I agree the studio/distributor cuts were good and made the story favorably more lean.

Push - 3/10
Story was meh.
Camerawork was annoying.
Turned it off after 30 minutes.

Wind Blast - 3/10
The story jumps around too much for me to givadam about WTH is going on.
However, the camerawork is very nice.

Mirror Mirror - 7.5/10
After having watched Snow White & The Huntsman (which I didn't really care for much) I wanted to watch this again to see if it was as classic Tarsem Singh disappointing as I recall.
Either, I'm getting softer after some time after expectations were damaged or the comparison against Huntsman made it "seeeeeem" better, but... it's not too bad.
It's a nice kids show. How about that?

Sweeny Todd - 9/10
A fave of mine.
I don't really know how the story could be woven better.
And the lyrics/soundtrack are wonderful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrt7-Xu2Fk&feature=bf_next&list=PL79829C6E9A986C09

Moulin Rouge! - 9/10
Another favorite of mine.
The emotional range and clever juxtaposition of modern songs to the period are impressive.
The elaborate level of set and costume detail the director and set designer placed in this story is astounding.

Last edited:
Back