movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Moonrise Kingdom - 6/10
Clever, funny and moving. Too bad it's also pretentious, strung-out and unoriginal. Wes Anderson's quirky style, supposedly inspired mostly by French New Wave films (I highly doubt it), is beginning to lose the appeal it had used up with The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore, two fantastic movies. The main child was horribly miscast, whose awkward performance made it obvious his bizarrely intelligent lines were far beyond his own comprehension. But aside from him, the rest of the film has a wonderful ensemble: Norton is an especially funny choice, as well as Tilda Swinton's underused character. Overall an amusing and deep film that would have been miraculously better had Wes discarded his fervent desire to be "artsy".

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 10/10
Here, Wes Anderson does just that. He embraces the cheeriness of the source material and makes what is probably the greatest modern children's film. Spectacularly made, wonderfully written and full of moving moments, it's an amazingly clever comedy. A masterpiece in its own way, it also has a great soundtrack and a flawless ensemble (Clooney is perfect).

Last edited:
Lilya 4 Ever - 7.25/10 - decent film over all and reminded me of the documentary Children Underground but fictional, thankfully.

The Campaign was about what I expected, which is a good thing. I'm a fan of both Ferrell and Galifanakis. This particular movie doesn't quite reach instant-classic status, for me, but it's a fun time, and a worthy entry in the Ferrell-absurdist-comedy series. B+

Bourne Legacy was a heck of a lot better than I expected. Which isn't saying much, because I expected it to be crap (I'm not a fan of the 2nd or 3rd movies). But this one took the series in a slightly different direction, by not keeping us tied to non-stop, relentless, Jason-Bourne-esque crazy-fast fight sequences. Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff, but I feel like Supremacy and Ultimatum relied too much on it, without adding much substance. Some of Legacy's best scenes involved no such style of fighting, but had some nice suspense.

Overall, though, it's still not too great. The story was too implausible for me to completely buy into, and the final third of the film really lost any of the momentum that was built before that. So, I'll give it a C+.

Rebel Without a Cause - 9/10
Still one of the best films ever made. It's definitely one of the best structured: it's a modern tragedy. The performances, while melodramatic, are excellent, and the overall symbolism that goes unseen throughout is incredible.

It's visually lush, some shots are definitely sweeping but for the most part, it's a boring, derivative mess. I find it amusing this was even nominated for Best Picture.

The Raid: Redemption - 8/10 - a kick ass action film - don't think I have ever seen one as cool as this one. Story and acting were lacking but the action sequences were just amazing - a great and fun adrenaline rush.

Albert Nobbs.

There's a suspension of disbelief problem because I don't think either woman would have passed as a man. All the same, I was rooting for Albert from the beginning, and the film still managed to hook me, largely for that reason, so I kept watching (well, not in one sitting).

(Is this a spoiler? Ah well, just in case...)
It's been sooooo long since I saw The Ballad of Little Jo (heck, that was sometime around 1993), but I think Albert Nobbs is much like that earlier film, though I see the latter was based upon an even earlier novella and theater play.

Anyway, nice work by the actors, beatifully photographed, high quality production, so I guess I'd give it something like 3 stars.

Dirty Deeds - 3/10

It was supposed to be a comedy, the description made it sound like it'd be funny. I don't know if I produced an audible laugh for more than 2 seconds, though. The plot was good, but it just wasn't funny.

On top of it not being funny, the audio sync was so bad. 80% of the move it was noticeable that their lips were off. And another 10%, it almost seemed like they were.

Wow! I finally saw "Olympia". Both parts, in German, in 35mm. The first
time it's been shown in Los Angeles in 35mm in 70 years. One of the best
documentaries I have ever seen.

The Expandables 2 7/10 - This was because of the actors that are in it. The story and camera usage are not the best, but because that used the actors it made it good and funny.

Annie Hall- 9/10
One of the best-written movies of all time. A few pretentious strokes throughout keep it from perfection, but overall an ingenious film, and an unusually profound comedy.

Weekend on my own, so getting caught up on some stuff that my girlfriend wasn't as interested in seeing. Survival of the Dead is much better than I had heard (though still far from the best Romero film). What I liked about it is there was very little zombies, though some bad cg in the few action-y scenes. It's all about the people, and how they're dealing with the situation. I hate that zombie films have turned into shitty action films. This is not, as Romero living dead films tend not to be. I think I liked it as much as Land, but not as much as Diary. So ranking them all, maybe Night>Dawn>Diary>Day>Survival>Land, and all of them way above most zombie films, for me. On a technical level, the dialogue is a bit clunky at times, and heavy suspension of disbelief is required for families with Irish accents living off the coast of New England (particularly since they could have gone with an NE accent).

Enter The Void, I of course loved. More intense than I was expecting. Reminded me of Dead Man. The gimmicky camera perspective was distracting at first, but I absolutely got into it. Best use of the tilt-shift effect near the end that I've ever seen. And the soundtrack...Bach, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Zbigniew Karkowski...on one hand I'm surprised no one has mentioned how awesome it is, but on the other hand, it's mostly pretty weird and obscure stuff. But anyone around into abstract/experimental/noise stuff (which I think is me and Feutus Lapdance) will love the soundtrack.

Also saw Ghost Game, which I loved, but wouldn't say was good in the least. But enjoyable in that low-budget horror sort of way. Lots of fun. Some pretty atrociously amusing dialogue, but one line rubbed me the the wrong way. While looking for a game to play, someone mentioned having their D&D cards, and they could play that. DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

More low-budget horror in my near future (recommendations accepted), but fernando, I absolutely agree with you about Rebel Without A Cause. Damn, that's a great film. I think I'd also rate Avatar around the same quality wise, but taste-wise, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Human Centipede 2. Hmmm. For the first hour, it seemed a fairly straight forward serial-killer film, with more than a bit of well deserved (judging by the internet) fan abuse. The gritty black and white was an excellent choice, and Tom Six is proving himself a pretty competent filmmaker. But, like the first film, the first hour didn't seem worth the controversy that it had generated. Then: the last third of the movie. Holy hell. Almost put ME off my lunch, and I'm an Andreas Schnaas fan. Definitely an improvement on the first, which I enjoyed as a throwback mad scientist film (though certainly more extreme). Well executed film, but not for the faint of heart.

From Dusk Till Dawn (second watch after a long time).

Blekch. 2. A 2's generous. Only hot naked chicks, some cool creature and gore effects, and a handful of bright spots here and there pulls it up from a lower score. Nothing wrong with the directing and everything else. It's the script and the story that are repellent.

The Debt - 7/10 - pretty decent film overall

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas - 7/10 - decent film, though I thought it was weird that the germans had english accents

I was just forced to watch a Quentin Tarantino marathon........ I only stayed long enough to watch Inglorious Basterds..... I swear to god, Tarantino is the worst writer in the world. (Obviously this is my opinion. He's a "chuffa" writer.)

The best part of the movie was Mike Myer's appearance as a British General.... only problem was I kept expecting a "Yeah. Baby! Yeah!"

1/10

I was just forced to watch a Quentin Tarantino marathon........ I only stayed long enough to watch Inglorious Basterds..... I swear to god, Tarantino is the worst writer in the world. (Obviously this is my opinion. He's a "chuffa" writer.)

The best part of the movie was Mike Myer's appearance as a British General.... only problem was I kept expecting a "Yeah. Baby! Yeah!"

1/10
I really hope you're trolling.

I wouldn't agree that he's the 'worst' writer but I do think he's a weak writer. It's a fairly subjective thing, but I'm inclined to agree with mussonman (to a lesser extent though).

Throughout shooting The Flight of the Flamingo I had to endure the actors telling me it had a very 'Tarantinoesque feel' as though they thought I would take that as a compliment. The other one I got all the time was 'it definitely has shades of Guy Ritchie'. Eurgh.

chilipie once said that it reminded him of Noel Clarke. Don't see him around these boards that often anymore, do you? :devil:

Back