movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Here's some of my favorites from the 2010s.

The Turin Horse
The Great Beauty
Monsieur Lazhar
Another Year
Solitary Man
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Stoker
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Dogtooth
Rampart
Carnage
Enemy
Somewhere
The Grand Budapest Hotel

I have seen half of these i am going to have to check out the rest.

Here's some of my favorites from the 2010s.

The Turin Horse
The Great Beauty
Monsieur Lazhar
Another Year
Solitary Man
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Stoker
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Dogtooth
Rampart
Carnage
Enemy
Somewhere
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm gonna save this list! I haven't seen any of them, and only heard of about four of them!

You know more about this decade's cinema more than I do, but I'll recommend Lee Chang-dong's Poetry to you, which I think is a very great film.

I didn't see a single one of those :lol:
Which one is the fastest paced

The Grand Budapest Hotel is probably the quicker-paced film. Carnage was a great black comedy that would probably take second place. And Exit Through the Gift Shop was a really fun documentary of an awesome artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJBdDSTbLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON3kwJPwcMU

Last edited:
Fantastic film. I should have included it on the list.

Ah so you did watch it lol, it seems like there's nothing you haven't watched! Yeah it's an excellent film, and it's a shame that Lee Chang-dong doesn't make more films than he does. I think he's the best 'art film' Korean director apart from Hong Sang-soo.

Chimp have you check out ida, we need to talk about Kevin and under the skin yet? I enjoyed those films

We Need to Talk About Kevin was fantastic, though I didn't like Under the Skin. We Need To Talk About Kevin was a well structured film w/ a haunting story presenting an interesting question, and Under the Skin was a lethargic mess with occasionally interesting moments. EDIT: Have not seen Ida.

Last edited:
Batman directed by Leslie H. Martinson - 6/10
Very good camp, it's a lot of fun to watch and it's just such a crazy film. I think I like it more since I'm not a serious comic book fan, and don't take superheroes too seriously (though I can see why others do). Still, it's obviously not up to par with the best of Burton and Nolan (though I'd definitely prefer watching this over The Dark Knight Rises), at least it's better than Schumacher lol.

A Letter To Momo directed by Hiroyuki Okiura - 9/10
I think this is a seriously underrated anime film. It has everything I love about anime, the beautiful artwork, an incredible world that I get immersed into, great characters (particularly great children characters, almost on the level of Miyazaki's children), and real emotions that get to me strongly. There is both laughs and tears in this film, and I have to say that this makes up for a few problems I have with the film. I think the film isn't always focused, and it could have had a bit more depth to the characters aside from the protagonist and the Guardians. I also think that, while I understand why the director chose to end the film the way he did, I would have preferred for him to end it slightly differently (the ending basically repeats an important piece of symbolism, but I think the pure emotions of the family drama overpowers it, so this symbolism of the character coming of age or becoming stronger isn't really necessary, and it should have been made secondary to the stronger emotions/ideas). I think any other film with these flaws would have to be an 8/10 from me, but this film just gets the execution so perfectly that I can't give it less than a 9, I mean it even has possibly the greatest fart joke I've ever seen with perfect timing, and it does a great job at introducing its magical elements. I hope Okiura continues to make films, but hopefully he'll become a little more prolific! I hope more people come to watch this film as its being screened at the IFC Center, and hopefully it'll be loved enough to find a home video release in the States.

Young Cops directed by Kar-Hung Yau - 6/10
Another fun HK broad comedy with the usual features: episodic structure, broad cheesy comedy, catchy cheesy Cantopop songs, cool theme songs, stars in less serious roles (this time it's Tony Leung and Anita Mui), and a kinetic genre-bending style (here they mix broad comedy, romantic comedy, and martial arts). This one might deserve a 5/10, but I just love Tony Leung, and I like how he ended up with Anita Mui. Of course, I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone as an introduction to Hong Kong cinema, or even to the crazier second-rate/third-rate Hong Kong cinema, but it's a lot of fun for HK fans!

All That Jazz directed by Bob Fosse - 9/10
While I was watching this, I thought "what the hell? what is this? how can this existed, and how could it have existed in 1979?" I have seen twists in the musical genre, but I expected this to be a fairly conventional musical, but what I got was a semi-autobiographical film, similar to 8 1/2 that had more drama than singing and dancing. The result was a brilliant work that is very sloppy. I feel like the beginning has this rush that was confusing, but very engaging and enjoyable. But then the ending just seems to be too drawn out, far too drawn out that I didn't really get what Fosse was even trying to do. The film's structure is brilliant, same with the performances and the film's experimentation. The musical numbers that are there, are brilliant, but I feel like Fosse could have integrated them a bit better. What I love most about this film is that it feels like Kaufman, before Kaufman was around, and I think in many ways it's better than Kaufman since it has less unsatisfying elements. Overall, this is an amazing film that could have been a masterpiece, if it weren't so drawn out and if it were put together a little better (and even I don't know in what ways, I just feel like something was off). Still, I think this ambitious musical should be viewed by anyone that loves musicals or American 70's films.

Sin City 4/5
I've seen this one before but it's still great.
The last section with bruce willis is amazing.

Elysium - 5/10
Good setting for the film, but in my opinion it was fairly weak and didn't make the most of itself. Shame really.

I watched this recently. A long and boring amount of exposition at the beginning of the film. I also thought there was some strange things in here too. but the director is great at VFX work and there were cool shots + droids.

Under the Skin. An A for me.

Not sure it will hold up over time or with more viewings. But this is a film that Hollywood would not make. And that gains it some points right there. Anyway, I seem to be in the camp which thinks it's masterful.

I'm so glad that films like this can and do get made, even if you're not supposed to make them, even if they don't fit the mold, or even if they're not supposed to be successful (by what measure?).

This is a Blu-ray I think I'll have to buy.

Richard Roeper's review.

Comrades: Almost A Love Story directed by Peter Chan - 8/10
This is one of those films that I wish were a hidden masterpiece, but it falls short of that level due to some serious flaws. The film is a really good romantic melodrama starring Maggie Cheung and Leon Lai with a lot of interesting themes such as adapting to a new culture, the effect of globalization in China/Hong Kong, the way that Hong Kong's distinct culture was reacting to the 1997 handover, the role of fate/coincidences in romance, and it also serves as a love letter to one of the greatest popular Chinese singers, Teresa Teng. It covers an epic time span of 10 years and it features two huge locations, Hong Kong and New York City. Unfortunately, this film is a bit awkward as it feels a bit drawn out without being truly epic. It feels like at 2 hours this film should have either had 30 minutes cut, or added a whole other hour to fully flesh out the characters and the story. Another flaw that the film has is the way music is used, it is very sentimental music that tries to enhance emotion but only detracts from it. I also feel that Leon Lai's character becomes very dull after he gets used to living in Hong Kong. The side characters are all very good but they are all very underdeveloped as well. However, the film just has a great story with amazing performances, especially from Maggie Cheung (I'd say one of her finest performances). It is also interesting how this film breaks from the traditional Hong Kong cinematic aesthetic, but I feel like the direction only reaches the level of Patrick Tam (another semi-experimental HK director) and not the rich artistry of Wong Kar-Wai. Even though it isn't a masterpiece, this is still a hidden gem that really deserves better treatment on home video/streaming services.

The Quiet Duel directed by Akira Kurosawa - 7/10
I always heard that this was a lesser Kurosawa, and that's true, but second-rate Kurosawa is still very entertaining to watch! I like the themes and the ideas explored here, and I feel like the film is just entertaining as a whole but it doesn't have much depth and it is not some of Kurosawa's best direction (although it's not bad!). I liked the film though, and Toshiro Mifune's incredible monologue near the end will always stick with me!

Lets Make Love 4/5

Seen this one before but it's still great.
I would love to remake this film today!

Can't imagine how much fun it would have been to watch if I knew who these people were. Milton Berle playing himself. Bing Crosby playing himself. Gene Kelly as himself. These were huge people in their day and I can really appreciate their performances but I haven't seen their prior work.

Just added 3 new movies to my queue to see more of this dude Yves Montand.
I added Z, The Wages of Fear, and Jean de Florette

Last edited:
Just added 3 new movies to my queue to see more of this dude Yves Montand.
I added Z, The Wages of Fear, and Jean de Florette

I highly recommend Jean De Florette but only on one condition, that you also add Manon Of The Spring to that queue (it is the sequel and it is basically necessary to watch both to experience the full story) which is an even better film. I gave each individual film an 8/10 but I think the overall series is one of the great cinematic tragedies and I would give them at least a 9/10 together. I saw these films for my French class and was surprised how great some of the films the French New Wave criticized could be in the hands of a good director (Marcel Pagnol, one of the most hated writers/filmmakers by the French New Wave wrote the source material, but it was directed by Claude Berri many years later). I say you should try not to wait too much time to watch the sequel after the first film so that you can get the full tragedy right away.

The netflix DVD actually comes as a double feature with both films, but I'll only watch the second one if I rate the first higher than 2/5

BARRY LYNDON (1975) -- haven't actually seen it until last week for the first time. Wow, the cinematography is unreal, like Vermeer or Gainsborough paintings come to life. The negative reviews tend to focus on its slow pacing, but I never found the story boring at all.

Back