movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Guardians of the Galaxy is exactly as fun as everyone has been saying. Best description I've heard: it's like if Farscape met Firefly and had baby Avengers. As for how to rate it, I don't even know how to rate the Marvel movies separately anymore, but this was definitely among my favorites. And the cameo at the end made me so happy!

Magic In The Moonlight directed by Woody Allen - 6/10
A pretty good, but certainly weaker Woody Allen film. I enjoyed how Allen played with his usual themes and gave us a nice twist in the end, but I don't like how some elements of the plot don't really hold together for me. I didn't find the romance believable, I found that the sudden drastic changes in worldviews in this film were unrealistic, and I found many of the characters to be so flat and uninteresting. Still, the dialogue was good (but not great), and it was just entertaining and amusing from beginning to end (but rarely really funny). I don't like how some key moments lose all their power since Allen chooses to end these scenes so soon as well. Aside from what I mentioned already, I feel like the film has good cinematography (but again, not great) and it does a great job at depicting the period it's set in, most notably with the awesome selection of music.

Boyhood - 10/10 - Linklater's Before movies were interesting experiments, dealing with age and time in a mature and effective manner. Boyhood is similar in a sense, with an ambitious method and a successful payoff. The film is littered with now-nostaligic cultural references and cliches. But both of those things don't make the film predictable or irritating. Instead, they're fun and intriguing aspects of the film that make the drama and story digestible. While it borrows from other films and has cliches, it also brings unique drama to the table and breaks some of the commonly annoying stereotypes. Overall, I think this is one of the best films of the decade, and the greatest accomplishment of Linklater.

Enter the Void - 8/10 - The film ranges from horrifying and unwatchable to blissful and lovely. We open with a fantastic credits sequence that immediately grabs the attention of the audience, and holds it with a tight grab with a series of surreal and intriguing visuals. For the next 30-40 minutes, it continuously stays interesting. The rest of the film is slow and trudges through the depressing subject matter without holding back. It gets darker, grittier, more painful, or more disconnected from the real world. "Human" scenes are so heavily distorted and stylized, that they become just as odd or unnerving as the psychedelic scenes. The interesting imagery initially shown begins to repeat in different orders and from different angles, leading to the bittersweet ending. The main problem I had with the film, is that the slowness that follows the first 30-40 minutes feels weak in comparison. It lost it's hypnotic, beautiful, frightening quality. The cool transitions become overused, and the repetition becomes underwhelming. But overall this is an amazing technical achievement with astounding visuals, amazing audio work, and a through provoking story.

Boyhood - 10/10 - Linklater's Before movies were interesting experiments, dealing with age and time in a mature and effective manner. Boyhood is similar in a sense, with an ambitious method and a successful payoff. The film is littered with now-nostaligic cultural references and cliches. But both of those things don't make the film predictable or irritating. Instead, they're fun and intriguing aspects of the film that make the drama and story digestible. While it borrows from other films and has cliches, it also brings unique drama to the table and breaks some of the commonly annoying stereotypes. Overall, I think this is one of the best films of the decade, and the greatest accomplishment of Linklater.

:yes:

I loved this film a lot, it especially spoke to me even more since I grew up at the same time as the protagonist, due to the fact that I'm the same age. I also think it's one of the best films of the decade.

The Way Of The Dragon directed by Bruce Lee - 7/10
Once again, I find Bruce Lee's films to be very disappointing because they are very mediocre in comparison to the best of martial arts cinema. Every time Lee attempted to incorporate humor into this film, I really felt like just watching a Jackie Chan or Sammo Hung film. But somehow, this film was a lot of fun. Yes all of the scenes without martial arts are stupid and boring, but somehow when you put them all together, I started to care a bit about the characters. I also found this one to have a lot more memorable fights than The Big Boss and Fist Of Fury. The twist near the end was good but completely out of place, since to be honest, I really forgot about the plot when the fights came on. I think The Big Boss and Fist Of Fury did a better job at integrating their plots with the fight sequences, but it doesn't matter since none of them have particularly good stories or non-action scenes (with a few exceptions of course). Still, I think that this may be my favorite of Lee's films so far, since I really loved the fight scenes in this film. It's unfortunate that although he was a genius martial artist, he was nowhere near a filmmaking genius, as an actor or as a director/writer.

Slacker directed by Richard Linklater - 7/10
After watching Boyhood a few weeks ago, I really got interested in Linklater's films so I'm trying to watch all of them. This early film has some very interesting elements to it, most notably the way that the film has no plot. The film also has an interesting technique of switching the focus on different characters that pass by. I liked some of the dialogue a lot and liked some of the scenes in the film's episodic narrative, but the film did meander sometimes and it got a bit repetitive. I wish that some of the characters were more distinct. Still, I admire the fact that Linklater tried something very different with this film that is for the most part enjoyable, even though it's no masterpiece.

Lust, Caution directed by Ang Lee - 7/10
I have mixed feelings about this film. On one hand, I love the incredible acting and Ang Lee's always skillful directing skills. But on the other hand, I find the film to be a bit meandering and it never fulfills its potential. The film's story is pretty interesting, and I like how it incorporates cultural elements without being confusing at all. I also like how the film is a thriller but that it is very slow-paced so it is almost like a contemplative thriller in a way. However, I think that this concept does not reach its potential as the film doesn't really have great scenes from beginning to end, nor does the ending feel fully satisfying IMO. However, I think this film is still worth watching since it has a lot of passion and it shows Ang Lee making another Taiwanese film, I hope that Lee continues to make films both in Taiwan and the USA.

Batman directed by Tim Burton - 8/10
Okay, I think this is one of the most underrated blockbusters because today it's viewed as a lesser Batman film and it's looked at as a cheesy movie but I think that isn't true. Sure, some of the film is dated by hair and make-up choices, and of course the second-rate Prince songs (I'm a huge fan of Prince, but it's unfortunate that he finished his peak right with the soundtrack of this film, he was a real master from 1980-1988) but I think that this isn't a big deal. The film still has perfect pacing, a great visual style, a great performances with both Batman (without that ridiculous Christian Bale voice) and Joker (I'll have to see how it compares with Ledger's performance, as the only other live-action Batman films I have seen are Batman And Robin and The Dark Knight Rises, both of which I consider to be bad films). I only wish the film would be a little more emotionally resonant, then I would give it a 9, and hell if Prince wrote better songs I'd also give the film a 9. But yeah this film just has great storytelling, action, visual style, musical score, performances, and everything. I also prefer how the setting actually feels artificial and comic book like in a neo noir style unlike Nolan's plain city. I'm going to try to watch all of the Batman films soon, hopefully the Nolan series is as good as it is praised (but the third film in the trilogy really disappointed me).

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie directed by James Rolfe and Kevin Finn - 7/10
This is a very great modern B-movie! I watched it at the New York premiere with an incredible audience and it was just really a lot of fun to watch. Sure the film is low-budget and it mostly has low brow humor, but it does what it does really well. I think the film does a good job at telling its story and making it as zany as possible. What I like about the film is how unashamedly it does everything, you can just feel the passion from the filmmakers, and they don't try to make their film seriously, I think this is how real great genre filmmaking works. I also loved the simple practical special effects that Rolfe used, they really add to the film's charm. I'm tempted to give the film an 8 to support a filmmaker I have admired for a long time, and because I had so much fun watching it, but I know that this film isn't particularly great, but it does give me a lot of hope. I hope that more fan fundraised films get made, and that a significant amount of genre films are made this way. Regardless of its flaws, this film has a lot more passion than most genre films that currently come out of Hollywood, and I think we need to inject some passion into our genre films today as they have become overly serious and pretentious IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what other films would you place on that list? I need some catching up to do with this decade's cinema.

Here's some of my favorites from the 2010s.

The Turin Horse
The Great Beauty
Monsieur Lazhar
Another Year
Solitary Man
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Stoker
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Dogtooth
Rampart
Carnage
Enemy