movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Sixteen Candles directed by John Hughes - 8/10
This is my second John Hughes film, and I have slightly mixed feelings about it. I loved the film's premise, I loved the acting, and as usual John Hughes is easily the best director to capture what it feels like to be an everyday teenager. However, I didn't like where the story took me sometimes, for example, I really didn't feel there was any reason to like Jake Ryan, and he was not a very realistic character in my opinion. Also, I didn't like how over-the-top the movie got, with some outrageous humor that is only partially successful. The film was better when it was a realistic teen drama/comedy, I never see films get high school pretty much right but the beginning of this film got it! Another problem I had with the film is that the wedding pretty much served no purpose and there was a long bit of the film that didn't show Samantha but focused on Jake Ryan. Still, I've gotta love that John Hughes captures teenage life with all of its insecurities really will. This film has also confirmed my love of Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall! And wow, that 80's music and all of those posters were really awesome, I had to repeat sections of the film just to fully enjoy the 80's awesomeness!

The Ball At The Anjo House directed by Kozaburo Yoshimura - 10/10
Wow! This is one of those rare undiscovered masterpieces that I have seen! This film is a perfect blend of family drama, romantic melodrama, and a bit of comedy with one of the best groups of characters ever put to film. I mean one of the main characters is just the hugest bastard ever, yet he is so likable. Each character is well-developed in this short 89 minute film, I even cared about the minor characters! This film also has one of the best endings I have ever seen. I can assure that this is up there with the masterpieces of Japanese cinema by Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi, its unfortunate that it's so unknown and that its in need of a proper restoration. I feel like I can write an essay making a case for this film LOL, there is so much there in the mise-en-scene, cinematography, the performances, and the characters. Also, Setsuko Hara is just brilliant in this film, as always. This is easily the best "unknown" film masterpiece I have seen so far, anyone into classic Japanese cinema should give it a watch.

Dolores Claiborne 4/5
Pretty good story, but the direction is what pushed it from 3 to 4 for me. The transitions and lighting are really clever

A Clockwork Orange directed by Stanley Kubrick - 10/10
I love this film for being the first artistic film I have seen with my mother that we both thoroughly enjoyed! Watching the first half of the film, I thought it was a great film but that it lacked something. Fortunately, the second half of the film was really thought-provoking and emotionally engaging, still I feel that both halves are equally great just in different ways. This is really a masterpiece, the imagery, the use of music, the story, I actually didn't expect to love it this much!

The Country Doctor directed by D.W. Griffith - 8/10
Continuing my journey through Griffith's filmography, I am getting more and more excited to see how he (and film in general) developed throughout the years. The film was good, until the ending made it stand out even more. The ending is different from most cinematic endings of the period by not being a happy one, and the way that Griffith uses visual repetition and graphic matches shows that he probably knew what he was doing even more than many current filmmakers! My only complaint is that the film was a bit drawn out, but it's a minor complaint.

Those Awful Hats directed by D.W. Griffith - 7.5/10
Just a short entertaining humorous little film, I like how it's all done in one shot. Although Griffith is known for his continuity cinema, he shows just as much mastery in tableau cinema with this short.

Lascars (Round Da Way) directed by Emmanuel Klotz & Albert Pereira-Lazaro - 8/10
A hilarious French animated film, I love the visual style in this film, the witty writing, and the music. This film is just a whole lot of fun to watch. There are some really brilliant sequences and jokes in this film.

I watched Audition again for the first time in like 5 or 6 years. Back then I thought it was a really slow/boring and messed up horror movie that relied purely on shock value. Boy, I was wrong about all of that! After re-watching, I think Audition is a fantastic horror movie, I don't watch a lot of movies of the genre because there's an incredible amount of crap horror movies compared to any other genre. This being said I can't say I've seen any other horror movie since Audition's release that's better than Audition. It does build up so damn well, like any good horror movie should. I'd give it 5/5, that Takashi Miike knows how to put a movie together.

I watched Audition again for the first time in like 5 or 6 years. Back then I thought it was a really slow/boring and messed up horror movie that relied purely on shock value. Boy, I was wrong about all of that! After re-watching, I think Audition is a fantastic horror movie, I don't watch a lot of movies of the genre because there's an incredible amount of crap horror movies compared to any other genre. This being said I can't say I've seen any other horror movie since Audition's release that's better than Audition. It does build up so damn well, like any good horror movie should. I'd give it 5/5, that Takashi Miike knows how to put a movie together.

That's great, I've actually been planning on watching it recently in efforts to be able to watch more violent films (I have a hard time watching graphically violent or sexual content). I hear a lot of great stuff about Takashi Miike, so I can't wait to see his work!

That's great, I've actually been planning on watching it recently in efforts to be able to watch more violent films (I have a hard time watching graphically violent or sexual content). I hear a lot of great stuff about Takashi Miike, so I can't wait to see his work!

Err... you might want to avoid Audition...

Err... you might want to avoid Audition...

Haha well that's exactly WHY I want to watch it, so that I can challenge myself! I think there must be a lot of amazing films that have graphic violence and sex, I hate the fact that I've cut myself off from that great cinema so I'm trying to get into it.

Good luck with Audition, it definitely has some very graphic shots, the more uncomfortable stuff is implied rather than shown. It's actually very restrained compared to other Takashi Miike movies.

Good luck with Audition, it definitely has some very graphic shots, the more uncomfortable stuff is implied rather than shown. It's actually very restrained compared to other Takashi Miike movies.

Was Visitor Q the one with the family and everything? If I remember correctly, that was one of his stranger films...

Heh-heh, violence and sex are absolutely not problems for me. Bring 'em on, generally. Where I get timid is with being creeped out. Yet I want to be able to watch them all.

So I took a chance on The Pact, fearing that it would creep me out too much. I was, in fact, about to turn if off, but then, the radiant Caity Lotz appeared on screen, dressed to kill, and looking just good enough to eat yada yada. I couldn't turn it off then. Despite my squeamishness about creepy stuff, I stuck with it. Thankfully, it turned out to be not too creepy for me to handle. And, it's more or less the
usual ghost story trope mixed with serial killer trope
. It aint' half bad. B-. Seriously, if I were a producer or a director, I'd be glad to find a role for Lotz.

Similarly, I was drawn to watch Devil's Pass. Again, fearing I would regret it if it spooked me too much, I stuck with it, and do not regret doing so. It turns out to be something belonging to the X-files genre, if I may speak of the X-files as being a genre. Anyway, it's good shorthand when trying to tell friends and acquaintances what to expect. I don't think that's too much of a spoiler because it may be important info to either push or draw its natural audience to see it. I guess it qualifies as a B Movie because I don't think it has any really known actors in it. Speaking of which, the acting might be a little questionable in a couple scenes. It does suffer a bit from the usual Scary Movie problem of characters behaving too stupidly at times. Anyway, if you scifi/thriller fans are in the mood for an X-files type thriller, I recommend it, while advising you to go in not expecting too much. That's probably the best way to approach it. B-

Monuments Men. Pretty good. B+

The Rape of Europe. The real(er) story of the above. A pretty good documentary. A, I suppose.

Last edited:
Back