what video games could make great movies?

Just my opinion here but most of the Resident Evil movies suck...badly.
And the Silent Hill movie I saw was laughably bad.

However, I would love to see a:
Splinter Cell movie (George Clooney would fit the role of Sam Fisher)
Halo Movie

Other than that, I'm not fussed.

Uncharted is a culmination of every other adventure movie that's been there and done that.

That's a good point. While it stands as a great game it lives because you're living movie fantasies that in the movie world have been done again and again.

I've been dying to make a movie out of this casual flash game called Prior. It's mine, I called it (as a matter of fact, I've already spoken with the designer about it...)! Nobody take it! Anyway, it has a really deep plot that's slowly revealed through notes you pick up. It's a fantastic game.

EDIT: Ooh, and I second my fellow Rhode-Island based Michael: Portal would make an AWESOME movie. There's already this fan-made thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

Are you kidding me? The characters were flat and uninteresting, and what little plot existed was bland and incoherent.

It was the most successful video game to movie adoption of it's time. It generated enough revenue to make a sequel.

All others before it were complete flops.

The sequel was / is a real disaster. I don't think it lasted 2 weeks in theaters.

Tekken was finished a while ago.

I know two people that were overseas on the production.

Apparently, it's bad.

Uncharted's being deliberated on, but just got a director shift. Don't trust him either.

That's too bad. I love that game. Nina Williams herself can make a great movie character as a black ops assassin. Petre Wilson from Le Femme Nikita would be perfect for the role.

hands down for me would have to be the legend of zelda but I feel it would need to be, well...legendary! like a lord of the rings style epic to work properly.

I'm surprised no one has attempted to make a megaman or live action pokemon movie either.

what about the command & conquer series? I can imagine a C&C: red alert movie by quentin tarantino working quite well

It was the most successful video game to movie adoption of it's time. It generated enough revenue to make a sequel.

I'm not arguing profitability. The general public has pretty much no taste at all. If you're just looking at money then fine -- Mortal Combat was moderately successful in that arena.

50 years from now, no one will remember it at all. If you think that MC was a good film then I call your taste into question. Publicly. I'm not just trying to pick a fight here; I stand behind everything I say, 100%.

50 years from now, no one will remember it at all. If you think that MC was a good film then I call your taste into question. Publicly. I'm not just trying to pick a fight here; I stand behind everything I say, 100%.

I don't know that I'd agree with you there. Mortal Kombat, while not a good film on its own, has a certain level of historical significance; it was the first video game film to "get it right". Yeah, the plot is inane and the characters were cartoony...but so was the game. Compare that to the Street Fighter film, or the Super Mario Bros film (I enjoy both for different reasons). Mortal Kombat was the first film that really "got" video games; proved it could be done, and made some money at it.

I agree with you that it's not a good film (though a fun experience, depending on your sense of humor), but I think in 50 years (hopefully after years of better video game films), MK will be remembered as a bit of a trailblazer, yanno?

hands down for me would have to be the legend of zelda but I feel it would need to be, well...legendary! like a lord of the rings style epic to work properly.

Funny you should use the term legend so many times... because, Legend of Zelda is based on the feature film LEGEND.

=]

Funny you should use the term legend so many times... because, Legend of Zelda is based on the feature film LEGEND.

=]

From wikipedia:

"The Legend of Zelda was principally inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto's explorations as a young boy in the hillsides surrounding his childhood home in Sonobe, Japan where he ventured into forests with secluded lakes, caves, and rural villages. According to Miyamoto, one of his most memorable experiences was the discovery of a cave entrance in the middle of the woods. After some hesitation, he apprehensively entered the cave, and explored its depths with the aid of a lantern. Miyamoto has referred to the creation of the Zelda games as an attempt to bring to life a "miniature garden" for players to play with in each game of the series."

From wikipedia:

"The Legend of Zelda was principally inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto's explorations as a young boy in the hillsides surrounding his childhood home in Sonobe, Japan where he ventured into forests with secluded lakes, caves, and rural villages. According to Miyamoto, one of his most memorable experiences was the discovery of a cave entrance in the middle of the woods. After some hesitation, he apprehensively entered the cave, and explored its depths with the aid of a lantern. Miyamoto has referred to the creation of the Zelda games as an attempt to bring to life a "miniature garden" for players to play with in each game of the series."

There's an interview with Miyamoto that surfaced back in the day of an old magazine that nobody will remember, which actually escapes me at this time but I had the issue, it had a sky on the front and the old ULTRA 64 logo on it (yeah, Ultra 64, not Nintendo 64 lol)

Shigeru talks about the influences of LEGEND in the games design, which were thrown in at the end of development. Namely Navi, who's survived the entire legend of Zelda franchise.

Edit: I shouldn't have said based on, but somewhat inspired by. Hope that's better.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? The characters were flat and uninteresting, and what little plot existed was bland and incoherent.

I think I was like 16 when I watched it and it blew my mind in theaters.

We went home screaming and re-enacting it for a good two or three weeks afterward.

Just watched it recently on Netflix and it's pretty bad, but still fun.

The closest I've seen a video game adaptation hit the mark is SILENT HILL, and that definitely needed some tweaking.

The real issue is this: you experience most video games as the story progresses, being PART of the story. And, most video games with stories are based on movies or something else. Same thing with anime.

Uncharted is a culmination of every other adventure movie that's been there and done that.

That said, though, there are some of us who've been living with controllers in our hands from birth (it was Atari for me, and literally since birth, from then on I've never gone without a video game console in my home) and really get what it's about.

Just need to get into the writer/director's seat and make it happen.

All others before it were complete flops.

The sequel was / is a real disaster. I don't think it lasted 2 weeks in theaters.

I'm not arguing profitability. The general public has pretty much no taste at all. If you're just looking at money then fine -- Mortal Combat was moderately successful in that arena.

I don't know that I'd agree with you there. Mortal Kombat, while not a good film on its own, has a certain level of historical significance; it was the first video game film to "get it right". Yeah, the plot is inane and the characters were cartoony...but so was the game. Compare that to the Street Fighter film, or the Super Mario Bros film (I enjoy both for different reasons). Mortal Kombat was the first film that really "got" video games; proved it could be done, and made some money at it.

I agree with you that it's not a good film (though a fun experience, depending on your sense of humor), but I think in 50 years (hopefully after years of better video game films), MK will be remembered as a bit of a trailblazer, yanno?

Mortal Kombat is all round bad ass in my book. I love it. It WAS the game! So cool. I recon it's the best movie based on a video game. Too bad the sequel ruined it.

Notice I never said it was a good movie though ;)

The Legend of Zelda will always be in my mind as something that would make an amazing movie, although I'm not sure it would. I wouldn't want it based on any of the games though, it'd have to be it's own story.

Mega Man would be rad.

And some kind of cell animated Ghouls N' Ghosts made by Studio Ghibli, would kill for that.

There's an interview with Miyamoto that surfaced back in the day of an old magazine that nobody will remember, which actually escapes me at this time but I had the issue, it had a sky on the front and the old ULTRA 64 logo on it (yeah, Ultra 64, not Nintendo 64 lol)

Shigeru talks about the influences of LEGEND in the games design, which were thrown in at the end of development. Namely Navi, who's survived the entire legend of Zelda franchise.

Edit: I shouldn't have said based on, but somewhat inspired by. Hope that's better.

Nitpicking, but Navi was only in Ocarina of Time. There was a similar faerie in Majora's Mask, Tatl, and faeries since the first game, but Navi is only a character in one. Pretty cool though; I'll have to look up the interview. Legend is one of my favorite films, and Zelda is my favorite game, after all these years! Navi definitely reminds one of Oona...though far less creepy and far more annoying!

For Zelda, or most games really, I agree that any of the storylines are far too complex to cover everything in a film. Which is a shame, because they're really good and I think would be enjoyed by non-gamer fantasy fans. There is a feature length fan-film I've had on my computer for ages, but haven't watched yet. Interesting story. Nintendo said that it was trademark infringement and they would have to take it down...but gave them until the end of the year make it available for download. They had planned on a July release, but sadly didn't finish until December, so they only had one month instead of 6, but relatively cool of Nintendo to say "share it for a while" rather than "take it the hell down now".

Nitpicking, but Navi was only in Ocarina of Time. There was a similar faerie in Majora's Mask, Tatl, and faeries since the first game, but Navi is only a character in one. Pretty cool though; I'll have to look up the interview. Legend is one of my favorite films, and Zelda is my favorite game, after all these years! Navi definitely reminds one of Oona...though far less creepy and far more annoying!

For Zelda, or most games really, I agree that any of the storylines are far too complex to cover everything in a film. Which is a shame, because they're really good and I think would be enjoyed by non-gamer fantasy fans. There is a feature length fan-film I've had on my computer for ages, but haven't watched yet. Interesting story. Nintendo said that it was trademark infringement and they would have to take it down...but gave them until the end of the year make it available for download. They had planned on a July release, but sadly didn't finish until December, so they only had one month instead of 6, but relatively cool of Nintendo to say "share it for a while" rather than "take it the hell down now".

That's true. Navi only had a name in OoT.

"Hey! LISTEN!"

Which reminds me, that's why that interview was in that magazine, because it was around the time that they were talking about a Zelda 64 coming out, but hadn't exactly shown more than a few images of it.

I will say, I expected us to have to take down our fake Zelda trailer (the one that hit IGN in 2009/8 ish) but we never had to. Wweird.

Right on, OJ it is! I remember when it first hit, thinking that it was great, and disappointed that it wasn't actually a film (April Fools and all, yeah, lots of that stuff going around). Awesome stuff!

Studio execs are only interested in one thing, a track record for making money. That means down the line we can expect remakes and reimages of Mortal Kombat.

Quake.
Fable.
Modern Warfare.
Infamous.

I always thought as far as board games go, Heroscape has potential for several movies.

Back